Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating small bites

Is it just me or is it really hard to eat small bites?! I finally have good restriction but I just can't seem to get the hang of eating. I get stuck every time! I'm 10 months postop and every time I've gotten good restriction, I end up going for an unfill because I'm always getting stuck. What the heck is wrong with me?!

How long did it take you to learn not to shovel down food?

I'm 6 weeks post-op, and I took to small bites pretty quickly. Sometimes I zone out and take a bigger bite than I should, but I haven't had any issues; no stuck episodes (yet). Sometimes I wonder if I'm even banded, because I'm able to eat pretty well. Albeit, I don't scarf the way I USED to, I'm not having any issues with the new mechanics of eating.

This has been the hardest part for me. I'll be six weeks post-op on Thursday and I struggle everyday! I try reciting the alphabet with every bite ... and taking a break in between. Good luck!

I use cocktail spoons and forks... I can sit down and start my meal and ...be like crap not right silver ware and get up and switch it out

I was just admiring my husbands ability to eat a huge amount of fried rice, chew it and swallow. While Im still on my first bite, and have to wait like 10 minutes between each tiny bite because, its rice and I don't typically do fabulous with rice. Im guess this portion going to be small due to bordom. I guess Ill be playing candy Crush instead of spending anymore time on this meal. LOL.

I've been stuck for the past 6 hours. :-(. I think I'll stick with liquids tomorrow so I can at least get in some nutrition.

I dice my food up real small before I plate it. I also use small fork and baby spoon. I bought several one minute sand timers for my table and one for each purse. I use the sand timer after each bite and do not take the next bite until one minute has passed. I stop eating after 20 bites (twenty minutes). It's tough, the toughest habit to break. You have to find a method that works for you. You have to train yourself to be super aware when you're eating. This is the method I was taught at True Results. Good luck to you. Eating slow is the "New Yoga" lol.

It's been 4 1/2 months and I'm still learning. Eating small bits is really hard. It's no fun to get stuck. I still will find my mouth full at times. It's a learning process. And to watch others how fast they eat and barely chew is kinda funny. That use to be me !!!

I hit the Green Zone 4 months after surgery.....but but took me at least 2 months afterward for ME to adjust to the band...sometimes getting stuck 2-3 times a day.....

I could have gone for a un-fil, but I am glad I did not because once I got through that learning curve everything began to work just the way it is supposed to....

I never or rarely get hungry anymore, my portions are controlled by the band, and the weight began to steadily and easily come off with no effort or struggle what soever....

It became a BREEZE, the easiest thing I could have ever done, and no where near all the dieting I have tried and failed at before.....

BTW, I have not been stuck for over 18 months now.....and I eat/drink things many people here would never dream of......it has become the NEW NORMAL.....

But I did have to modify MY behavior, how and what I eat....but through that I found new freedoms.....

There's definitely an adjustment period of learning how to adapt to your band. In taking pills and certain foods. All it takes is for you to experience a couple of good "stucks" and you learn from mistakes. I cut my food up very small and make sure all foods are cooked throughly. I do have water/drink ready just in case, even though you are not suppose to drink while eating.

Best wishes

I use cocktail spoons and forks... I can sit down and start my meal and ...be like crap not right silver ware and get up and switch it out

I also use cocktail spoons, rather than a cocktail fork though I usually use chopsticks (you can order some very nice travel pairs). If I don't have my special utensils available I try cut all of my food up right away to appropriate sized portions.

I too use cocktail forks and baby spoons. I buy them at the thrift store so I've never paid more than a dollar for each. I keep a "kit" in my purse which (in a bag) has a cocktail fork, baby spoon, small paring knife, and a small plate. (the plate is in case I get something in styrofoam which is difficult when cutting up small bites)