Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am hoping someone can give me advice!

I considered doing gastric bypass years ago...I never did. I told my husband if I hadn't lost 50lbs by our anniversary this year I wanted the lapband -This was a while ago last year sometime in fact enough time to lose 50lbs! Anyway I am about 200lbs overweight I have 3 little kids and I want to be healthy I am afraid my husband doesn't understand my desire and I have tried things most recently and he saw what I ate and how much (I didn't even cheat!) I didn't lose a thing it is very frustraing and it is getting old trying and trying and failing all the time! So advice on how to approach the subject with a spouse who isn't to sure about this!

Also did any try the Lapband diet first to see if they could even do it? I am a little nervous about eating pureed food kinda grosses me out!

Hi Ab . Honesty is the best policy. Explain all your concerns. But also listen to his. And than talk. Focus on health. Focus on your love for him, and how you want to be here for him. Does your spouse know anything about the band? If not, take him to doctor appointments. Inform him. Is he heavy? He may become interested in it as well. That's how I got my band. :)

That would be a really difficult situation. It is hard when you do not feel supported. Perhaps something that might be helpful for him to understand is to have him visit a lap band doctor with you to ask any questions he might have. Sometimes it just takes getting some information.

About the puréed foods. It is no big deal. It does sound kind if gross, but the amount of time you are actually required to be on puréed foods is relatively short. And, it doesn't have to be abnormal puréed foods. I remember eating a lot of fat free/sugar free Jello, strained Soups, mashed potatoes, etc. when I was post-op. also, Protein shakes, Protein Shakes, Protein shakes!

Good luck! If you need someone to talk to, feel free to send me a message. Id be happy to serve as a listening ear or answer any questions you might have. :)

Sorry. I see that pureed was changed above. Haha to be clear, that word is meant to say pureed, not puréed

There's no such thing as a lapband diet. We just learn to eat healthy foods in much smaller quantities.

You should invest some time to research the band before you jump into it. It doesn't work the way you might think. With a lot of work on your part, the band can help you find satiety signals so you eat less. Watch these videos when you have time:

Part 1
part 2
Part 3
Part 4

There's no such thing as a lapband diet. We just learn to eat healthy foods in much smaller quantities.

You should invest some time to research the band before you jump into it. It doesn't work the way you might think. With a lot of work on your part, the band can help you find satiety signals so you eat less. Watch these videos when you have time:

Part 1

part 2

Part 3

Part 4

great post TMF

esp the (no such thing as lapband diet) part

I know there isn't a lap band diet but I know you have to follow the protocal. My husband is worried if I can't drink Protein Shakes now what makes me think I can do it if I have the lapband...If I can't eat less now what makes me think I could do it with the lapband. Does that make sense? He thinks if I can't do it now why waste the money and not be able to do it then...

I know there isn't a lap band diet but I know you have to follow the protocal. My husband is worried if I can't drink Protein shakes now what makes me think I can do it if I have the lapband...If I can't eat less now what makes me think I could do it with the lapband. Does that make sense? He thinks if I can't do it now why waste the money and not be able to do it then...

i personally dont care what (he) thinks.....what do YOU think?

the band will help you eat less yes....but you have to change what you eat...if you think you can, you will...

I am hoping someone can give me advice!

I considered doing gastric bypass years ago...I never did. I told my husband if I hadn't lost 50lbs by our anniversary this year I wanted the lapband -This was a while ago last year sometime in fact enough time to lose 50lbs! Anyway I am about 200lbs overweight I have 3 little kids and I want to be healthy I am afraid my husband doesn't understand my desire and I have tried things most recently and he saw what I ate and how much (I didn't even cheat!) I didn't lose a thing it is very frustraing and it is getting old trying and trying and failing all the time! So advice on how to approach the subject with a spouse who isn't to sure about this!

Also did any try the Lapband diet first to see if they could even do it? I am a little nervous about eating pureed food kinda grosses me out!

I went to the hospital to learn about the different types of WLS and brought my husband. I go to the support meetings every month and he comes with me. Would/will your husband do that with you? I did the Protein shake for Breakfast for 4-5 months before the band and lost about 25 lbs. I hate Breakfast foods so I have a shake every day. Good luck with your journey.

I know there isn't a lap band diet but I know you have to follow the protocal. My husband is worried if I can't drink Protein shakes now what makes me think I can do it if I have the lapband...If I can't eat less now what makes me think I could do it with the lapband. Does that make sense? He thinks if I can't do it now why waste the money and not be able to do it then...

Like I said, you may not understand how this works because no one HAS to drink Protein Shakes. They're helpful during the post op phase but only for a few days/weeks. The only protocol is once you're adjusted properly you must watch for satiety signals and obey them. That means you eat fruit, vegetables, meats and even bread if your band will tolerate it.

Your husband may be right. He does know you better than anyone else? The band won't stop you from eating bad foods. If you want to lose weight with the band, you really have to make a change in the way you think. You have to think, "Am I Hungry"? And if you aren't, you don't eat. The band helps you to feel that satisfied feeling much quicker and with much less food. You can still continue to eat if you disregard the signals. Most of us can discern between hunger and cravings and we lose or maintain weight.

If you go into this thinking the band will stop you from eating you're going down the wrong road. If you think it will stop you from eating oreos and chips, wrong again. It's not a quick fix, it's for people who have tried all other methods of weight loss and are willing to make a CHANGE in their lives.

Did you watch the videos?

tmf