Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else scared about putting a forgein object in their bodies?! Maybe it is just the hippie in me, but the thought of having a foreign piece of plastic around the top of my stomach scares me. This fear has only come about the last couple of days. I don't know why. I've been so sure I wanted to be banded, I have all of my appointments set up, and then I started having bad dreams about the band eating through my stomach and killing me. I'm not sure if I'm actually afraid of the surgery itself or I'm subconsciously trying to keep myself from being happy and healthy. I know now that I'm the fat girl with the pretty face and all the pretty friends. That's familiar to me. I'm scared of what will happen when I'm not that person anymore. Anyone else feel this way? have some insight? and yes, I have an appointment with my psychiatrist (not the pre-op one for the surgery) on Monday to talk things through. Just want to hear what y'all have to say.

I almost forgot to mention, was anyone else really afraid to fail with lap-band? I'm just worried that it won't work for me and I'll have paid 16k out of pocket for nothing.

I think fear is in all of us. With the Band, it can be removed, By-pass, NO, the sleeve, your stomach is gone more or less. That is what made me think the band was the only choice. I am thrilled I have it and it is working for me to control my large portions.

Good luck with your choice.

I am scared crazy. I already have anxiety and panic attacks. I told my dr he better have some medicine ready to calm me down when I get to the hospital or I'm walking out. I have ha 7 surgeries before so I don't know why I'm all freaked out about this one. I guess it because it is a big change and the foreign object part is weird. I do worry about the band failing me, but I also know if I do my part then I know I can do this. It's just one step at a time for me.

I think it's the voluntarily doing this to ourselves that freaks us out. I have a panic disorder too. I spoke to the doc and the anesthesiologist before the surgery. I got permission to take a xanax the night before and then when I arrived at the hospital, the anesthesiologist gave me something that put me in lala land. I knew I really wanted the surgery and I knew my brain would try to stop me at the last minute. Had the surgery two weeks ago and its the best thing I ever did.

It is so good to hear from other high anxiety people! I've only had 1 surgery before and it was to remove my gallbladder. I was so sick from the darn thing I probably would have let the doc take it out with a butter knife. I knew 100% I needed that surgery. This one is voluntary.....

I'm on 2 different meds for anxiety, but I'm starting to get worried I won't be able to take one after the band is placed. Can you still take meds in a capsule?

I am def. going to need some serious anxiety meds that day. Another thing that is bothering me is that my surgery will be performed at the hospital that I work at.....I'm worried people I work with will see me. I'm not ashamed to be getting the lap band, but I want to be able to control who knows about it and don't want the gossip to spread. No, I don't have the choice of another hospital and I know my hospital is safe, clean, and the people who work there are fantastic at what they do. I just want to be able to pick my anesthesiologist and OR nurses!

I think it is perfectly normal to question the idea of voluntarily placing a foreign object inside your body...it is indeed pretty science fictionlike when you think about it. That said, many people have plates, screws, etc in their bodies (I have a rebuilt ankle made with titanium!) so it's not all that exceptional.

So I look at my band as I view my ankle--without these foreign objects, I'm "broken". But with them, I'm in recovery.

It is medical progression that objects can be placed inside our bodies, from pacemakers to replacement hips and joints, even some dental work, no need to fear a small piece of plastic, look forward to the results !

I knew you all would help me feel better about it! :lol:

After reading your posts I'm starting to become excited again. Can't wait for my journey to really begin!

the only fear i had was getting bigger (and not being able to buy clothes in my size).......that fear led me to have the WLS and do what they told me to do in order to lose weight....dont be scared....this is your life that you are taking charge of. very proud of you.