Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WHAT!!! I exercised 4x last week and gained 5 pounds! I hate this!

I was fed up with not loosing any weight so I finally started to exercise. I exercised 4 times last week…40 minute walk, 30 minute jog/walk, 40 minute jog walk, 20 minute jog.

Yes, I ate more than I had before – about 200 calories/day more, because I was miserably hungry after exercising. I was eating about 1400/day of healthy food, high Protein, no junk and went up to 1600 with the exercise (and by the way, I was still hungry often…tummy grumbling hungry, can't concentrate hungry). I drank my usual amount of Water. And for sure did NOT gain 5 pounds in muscle in a single week.

WHAT GIVES!!!! I hate this. Yes, I'm ranting...my muscles hurt and what did it get for it...NADA! Oh, I take that back, I got fatter!

My weight stays between 193-196 and it's been like that for 6-8 weeks. I go to the gym 4-6 times a week. I don't get it either. But when I see my doctor about every 2 months my weight has always been down and he is thrilled that there is a loss each time. I do lose inches, have you measured? My size clothes blow me away, size 14 jeans and xl top, I still have muffin top. My bra went down a lot, too. Some people only weight themselves at the doctor's and then there is me, I weigh myself about 4-7 times a day. I know, throw out the metal monster

I think you're doing great and don't worry.

I was fed up with not loosing any weight so I finally started to exercise. I exercised 4 times last week…40 minute walk, 30 minute jog/walk, 40 minute jog walk, 20 minute jog.

Yes, I ate more than I had before – about 200 calories/day more, because I was miserably hungry after exercising. I was eating about 1400/day of healthy food, high Protein, no junk and went up to 1600 with the exercise (and by the way, I was still hungry often…tummy grumbling hungry, can't concentrate hungry). I drank my usual amount of Water. And for sure did NOT gain 5 pounds in muscle in a single week.

WHAT GIVES!!!! I hate this. Yes, I'm ranting...my muscles hurt and what did it get for it...NADA! Oh, I take that back, I got fatter!

First off, did you get fatter or did you get heavier? Two totally different things. The fact that your muscles are sore, means you worked them and they retain Water during the healing process. Happens to me all the time,

Now, you bumped your eating up to 1600, yet you list your height at 5.1 and a BMI of 31.2 which would give you a (BMR) basal metabolic rate of 1518 calories a day. What that means is that your normal 1400 calories a day, you are only running a 115 calorie deficit, and since a pound of fat is 3500 calories you will lose a little over a pound a month. When you bumped it to 1600 you are probably eating more calories than you are burning. But, once again, your WEIGHT gain is not fat, it is Fluid retention.

I'm not being judgmental, I am simply doing the math. I am nearly a foot taller than you, and my BMR is 2500, and I only eat 1300 calories, and about half of my exercise calories (3 hours of spin class a day, plus biking when the weather permits) and I still stall on weight loss. I lost the same 2 pounds about 5 times during the month of March.

As for hunger, according to your profile you have been banded since June 2012, I would suggest going back to your Dr. and discussing it with them or seeing a NUT.

Keep the faith, you will eventually get where you want to be.

If I may make a suggestion....I'm not sure where you are with getting adjustments to your band, BUT for me, getting the hunger under control is a seperate issue vs exercise. I thought I could exercise my weight off too for the first couple of years being banded.

Then I continued to read on here and other places..from the one's I found who were very succesful at getting their hunger under control......I forgot/refused to do the ONE thing that's important....ADJUSTABLE lapband. Otherwise, why have adjustable band surgery?? I could have just exercised and ate like I had for all my life and NOT LOST longterm weight. If you're really as hungry as you describe, I know what I would be doing....getting an adjustment! I realize everyone's different, but this was very, very important to me. I'd exercise 300-500 calories, then be hungry, and eat everything I had just burned...or maybe even more. NOW, with a properly adjusted band, I am NOT hungry....and I've burned 3000 calories today just exercising....between biking and mushroom hunting.

Hopefully, this comes across in the way its intended.....a supportive suggestion. Get the hunger under control, the exercise and weightloss will follow. I wish you the very best in your journey. Never, ever give up! You're worth it! :)

Terry is right, 14-1600 calories is WAY too much. I am a man almost 6ft, 265lbs, and I am eating 1-200 calories a day. You should be shooting for ~1000, most of which is from Protein.

Your profile does not provide a lot of information. Looks like you have been banded for the better part of a year (10 mo)... how much weight have you lost? When was your last adjustment? How long has it been since you lost any weight?

Sounds like a visit with doc/NUT is your first order of business.

same thing happens to me, I go up and down 6-8 lbs, I stopped for a week and it all came off !. Started up again and a few days later and at least 5 lbs was back. I'm trying not to sweat it (ha) because excercising makes me feel so better and clothes fit looser. Don't give up. This is for the rest of our lives!

I'm also 6ft and I usually aim for about 1,200 calories whether I get a workout in or not.

It definitely sounds like your hunger is a big issue. You may need to spend some time learning about your specific body's hunger cues. My stomach growls all the time post band but it never means I'm hungry. If you're feeling weak from hunger you may need to be more specific in what nutrients you're eating as well as more specific about when and how much you eat.

I usually lose my appetite after cardio but get ravenous after lifting weights. Each of our bodies is different and we often don't know them as well as we think.

First let me say I LOVE YOU GUYS! Everyone of you.

To address some of your very helpful responses and questions:

Dylan, Carolina girl,

-I don’t know about the inches yet. I will measure and watch and wait. I forgot to do that before starting exercise. Excellent reminder, thank you! I doubt I’ve lost any inches yet, but will keep an eye on that so I don’t keep getting so discouraged, if I am indeed shrinking.

Terry: BMI, BMR

-I see what you are saying, makes perfect sense! I had my BMR tested last week, at my doctor’s apt. Resting I burn 1728 in a day + 516 for lifestyle and activity, not including exercise. According to the testing, I should be able to take in 1384-1728/day and loose weight slowly (without exercise). So, it seems like I should be able to take in 1600 and exercise, and loose weight. That would put me at burning 2400/day (when I exercise) according to this testing. According to the test (that one you breathe into for 12 minutes), my metabolism is between normal/high and high. Of course, all of this is assuming that the testing is accurate. Big IF, right!

Catfish,

-UGH the adjustments! I have had super struggles with this! I’ve been bouncing around in single CCs the last few visis. One time too tight, the next time too loose…fill, unfill, fill again…Here’s the thing….I get stuck easily, but I’m hungry all of the time. The band does what it is supposed to do – restrict my eating (I guess) but I’m so stinking hungry! Seroius tummy grumbling hungry – not just “I feel like eating” hungry. I try to not eat late, but I wake up, in the middle of the night, so hungry I can’t sleep. I’ve settled my stomach with Water, but I just feel like I’m always hungry. How can that be, especially on 1400 calories! I try to avoid the sliders and stick with real food, but I find that I need those Protein shakes to really satisfy the hunger. This has been an issue for about 6 months. Can’t get to the sweet spot where I don’t get stuck on everything (and tempted to eat sliders), yet, the band is restricting me so I don’t get hungry.

Grown,

-Yes, banded 10 months. I had lost 38 pounds. I lost the last 5 in March-April, but gained that 5 back last week. My doc gets me all confused. He says…eat 1000-1200 calories per day, eat when you are hungry, eat solid food. If I ate when I was hungry I would eat 2000 calories a day. So, I try to eat as little as I can, of healthy food, and not get so hungry. I’m crabby with everyone right now because of the hunger, and weight gain makes it worse!

I’m starting to wonder if I have PMS? I never know.

All I can think is that one of these 3 things may be true….

1. I may be miscounting my calories or forgetting to record things I eat. I will be more careful and track more meticulously.
  2. I may be destined to be this weight.
  3. Maybe I need to have a fill – but dang! I don’t’ think I’ll be able to eat much if I get any tighter…and then I slip into eating too many slider foods. Perhaps I’m doing that already. So see point 1, track better.
  4. Perhaps I need to eat less food, but eat more often (but I do feel like I eat often enough)
  5. Perhaps I need to tolerate the huger???? Ugh I will fail for sure if I try this route.

I don’t know what else to say. I totally appreciate the help though, and have been encouraged by your input!! More is welcome!!

HI Frederic,

Yes, I grumble all of the time too. Sometimes it’s just my banded body that gurgles more than it used to. But when I get hungry I can actually feel nauseous or get a gaggy feeling when I get too hungry.

You guys are great. I am struggeling with how to eat with my new exercise program. I am doing cardio at least 6 days up to 50 minutes so far weight circuit every other day and just added ab weights today which I will do every day I do cardio. I ate yougrt and nuts for Breakfast and then had Protein Shake after. So not really sure how to fit my other two meals in. If I eat lunch now I wont want dinner. I did have snack of lf cheese spread and few rice crackers so I will be hungry to eat dinner. I so do not want to drink one shake but definetly not two. So I am curious are you drinking a Protein shake after you work out? I was told to eat at most an hour before exercise and a Protein Drink after. I am finding that exercising is making me less hungry not more. I mean I am hungry right after but the shake soohtes that then I have a hard time finishing up my day. I only eat half cup meals. Sounds kind of like me. sometimes i am hungry but a couple bites of some thing takes care of that.

HI Frederic' date='

Yes, I grumble all of the time too. Sometimes it’s just my banded body that gurgles more than it used to. But when I get hungry I can actually feel nauseous or get a gaggy feeling when I get too hungry.[/quote']

When you get that "gaggy" feeling what happens if you drink 8+oz. of Water rather than eating?

Your brain may be associating the stimuli from a contraction of an empty stomach with being hungry. It's like a biological version of the Pavlovian dog experiment. Our brains recognize our stomachs are empty when we're hungry so many times that eventually they assume we're hungry whenever our stomachs are empty. In reality the two things aren't always related especially if we're eating more nutrient dense foods in smaller amounts.

First let me say I LOVE YOU GUYS! Everyone of you.

Terry: BMI, BMR

-I see what you are saying, makes perfect sense! I had my BMR tested last week, at my doctor’s apt. Resting I burn 1728 in a day + 516 for lifestyle and activity, not including exercise. According to the testing, I should be able to take in 1384-1728/day and loose weight slowly (without exercise). So, it seems like I should be able to take in 1600 and exercise, and loose weight. That would put me at burning 2400/day (when I exercise) according to this testing. According to the test (that one you breathe into for 12 minutes), my metabolism is between normal/high and high. Of course, all of this is assuming that the testing is accurate. Big IF, right!

The charts that calculate BMR usually are conservative, and the breathing test is usually much more accurate, but you numbers seem really high to me. BUT, we are all different and I think you are on the right track with your suggestions.

You guys are great. I am struggeling with how to eat with my new exercise program. I am doing cardio at least 6 days up to 50 minutes so far weight circuit every other day and just added ab weights today which I will do every day I do cardio. I ate yougrt and nuts for breakfast and then had Protein shake after. So not really sure how to fit my other two meals in. If I eat lunch now I wont want dinner. I did have snack of lf cheese spread and few rice crackers so I will be hungry to eat dinner. I so do not want to drink one shake but definetly not two. So I am curious are you drinking a Protein Shake after you work out? I was told to eat at most an hour before exercise and a Protein drink after. I am finding that exercising is making me less hungry not more. I mean I am hungry right after but the shake soohtes that then I have a hard time finishing up my day. I only eat half cup meals. Sounds kind of like me. sometimes i am hungry but a couple bites of some thing takes care of that.

I usually wont have anything except a 1/2 cup of cooked oatmeal if its moring time, at least 1/2 hour before exercise (the ONLY "exercise" I do is cycling really) plus about 16 oz of water/coffee. If I'm on a longer ride, I found I do better if I have a low cal Protein Bar or a stick of cheese after the first hour and half or so. For me, I don't usually feel hungry after a ride....really no matter how long it is, until at least a couple of hours later. Then I just eat a "normal" meal.....hopefully with LOTS of protein. Today I had lean corned beef and an avocado.

If I need extra protein, I found that I can take a Dannon lite and fit cherry yogurt, 2 tbls PB2 (everybody should try this stuff!). Stir together VERY well. 125 calories, 1.5 grams fat, 17 protein. If I still need some more, I'll add a scoop of chocolate Protein powder. Its really good, with or without the added protein powder!

Thanks I think I am over thinking it