Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, I am new to the site. My name is Lisa and this is my story. I am about 2 weeks away from my surgery date, currently on the 2 week pre-op diet.

My new husband and I are taking this journey down the rabbit hole together. About 2 years ago I had a sub total hysterectomy due to complications and pain I was having. I'm all of 5'1" and I really have no torso. It's all boobs, belly and butt. I don't know where my waist is even when I was a thin girl, my back kind of kablams right into my butt. So needless to say a swollen organ in there had no place to go and pushed on other organs to gain space and caused a whole lot of pain.

After this surgery my Dr. asked me what I planned to do about losing some weight? He referred me to a Dr. and I went to meet him and check it out. I was excited about the idea of Gastric Banding but didn't feel I was quite ready to make that commitment just then. I had just turned 40, and though it seemed like a great idea, I just had major surgery and needed some time to heal and get back on my feet again.

My husband and I got married in October, and we had an amazing wedding in Las Vegas just the two of us. We left our 5 kids and all the rest of our families at home. (Best way to get married!) We did a lot of walking around, and went to the Grand Canyon and trekked around and realized how out of shape and in pain we were.

When we came back from our Wedding/Honeymoon, super storm Sandy hit Long Island and we really found out how out of shape, sick and tired we really were. Ken suffers from Osteo arthritis in his hips, and has severe bone loss and degeneration in his left hip. We made an appointment at the hospital for special surgery and they told him point blank you need a hip replacement sooner rather than later even though you are only in your 40's.

He is in pain nearly all day every day, walking is hard, but sitting and getting comfortable is even worse. The doctor told him he would not do the surgery because of his weight and diabetes. He suggested he lose weight and do it now. The surgery would have a better chance of success and he would have a better recovery.

That day I called Dr. Geiss and his office was able to squeeze us in the next day for a consultation. I had met the Dr. and the office staff a few years ago and I knew that Ken would like them and trust them. Of course he did, and he loved the fact that Dr. Geiss took a personal approach to meeting his patients and took the time to sit with us and answer any questions we had, and go over the procedure and what to expect. His staff has been a support through all the pre- certification testing, we have met with different members of his team several times for educational seminars and advice and you really feel like a person and not just another patient.

Once Ken was on board, I knew I was ready to make this journey and doing this together would make us that much stronger in our commitment to change our lives.

We are about 2 weeks away from surgery. I am May 6th and Ken is May 8th. We started the liquid phase of the pre-op diet by doing just that..phasing it into our lives.

Starting with one Meal Replacement and then going to two and eventually breaking meals down to mini meals 5-6 times a day and today it's not so bad. We gave ourselves the space to acclimate to the changes, and still enjoy events we had coming up, and now we are in that strict diet mode before surgery.

Though I am excited to get it over and done with, I am also a little nervous about the recovery. I hear good things about pain tolerance and less discomfort now then in the past, still I do have some anxiety about that part, though I guess that's normal before any surgery.

Glad I found this website, it's good to hear different stories and read about the success so many of had with this surgery.

Any advice?

Best of Luck to both of you !! Great that you will be taking the journey together. After surgery I had some shoulder pain but walking even small amounts ( up and down a hallway or around the house) helps and a heating pad for your stomach helped but really not much pain with the meds. Sounds like you have had some major surgery so sure you will find this much easier

Again Good Luck on your journey

Good luck to both of you! It's great that you'll have each other for support! :)

It is so great that you are doing this together and you will have your own personal weight loss buddy. Best of luck!!

Thank you for sharing your story. The pain for me was not to bad, the shoulder pain was the worst it took about a week for it to feel better. The advice from newbeebee is great advice I would have everything ready before surgery. I would make sure that you get pain meds and any other meds days before surgery. hugs to you both

You have a live in buddy to do all your exercise with. Good luck to the two of you.

Welcome to the board. And welcome both you and your new hubby to the lapband life. How exciting to have your life partner be your lapband partner. Way to go!!! Best wishes to you both. Karen

What a great post! I wish you all the best! Together you can do anything and achieve your health goals!!

Thanks for sharing your story. I should be right behind with on surgery dates. Mine should be sometime in the middle of May. Best wishes to you and your husband.

~Jennifer~