Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My most embarrassing "FAT GIRL" moment

I just had a flash back ( I totally blocked this out for years) of one of my most embarrassing moments being fat. I hope it motivates someone and I hope others share theirs. It makes me grateful for the band even though I'm moving at snails pace right now:

12 yrs ago I was a labor union rep. I had to represent a worker who was unfairly disciplined. I saw that the chair with arms that I had to sit in looked small but I was too embarrassed to ask for a different seat so I slowly and firmly pushed my bottom into it.

Being the great rep that I was , I argued my clients case with professionalism assertiveness and a bit of a threatening tone as they were condescending and disrespectful and the evidence was in our favor....Well I totally forgot about the chair. In all my confidence of successfully arguing the case , I stood up with a firm " take that!!" Attitude to find that the chair was STUCK to my butt !!! There were 4 people there , i will never forget their faces, the direct supervisor who snickered with his head down , his manager who belted out a laugh that would make me vomit if heard it today, a guy from HR who kept a straight face but you can see tears of laughter in his eyes and a woman from HR a bit over weight herself who had an embarrassed smile as if she was just glad it wasn't her ! I kept the " take that !" Attitude as I pushed the chair off my butt and left the meeting. I kept it together long enough to debrief the worker I was representing but when I got to my car I balled like a baby. Today I kind of chuckle at it but at the time I was so hurt .a couple months later I started Atkins for the first time . I hope others will share I think it will help others to know they are not alone and there is help.:-)

I went to a Xmas party in 2010 and sat down with all the other staff in the meeting room. I must have bent over and my chocolate chip cookie fell off. I sat down and ate my xmas meal but couldn't find my cookie. I accused several of my fellow employees of stealing my cookie(all in fun). Someone said look under your chair. So I got up, turned around and bent over and looked under the chair. Everyone laughed because the cookie must have fell on my chair and I sat on it and it was now stuck to my butt. I turned around and it fell off my butt onto the chair with a loud plop.

This was my straw that broke the camel back moment to get banded.

tmf

Banish that from your memory along with the "F" word. We are or have been obese, but "F" is derogatory!!!

I remember a long time ago in my teens I went with my Mother to a restaurant and they had those plastic chairs well we sat on them waiting for our to go food but before we could get the food both chairs of ours the legs got weak and needles to say they both tumbled from under us we had to apologize to the resturaunt and of course we were embarrassed , we then got are food and left but even now we still feel more comfortable asking for a table and making sure we can have chairs that will hold us so we are comfortable and not have to worrie about us being on the floor in a resturaunt. even though I have lost with the band and working it.

I was at the grocery store one day and I had walked by the deli. There was a woman in her mid twenties that had a young son riding in the cart. He bellowed out, Look Mommy, She's so fat". I turned and walked away and the lady followed me all over the store so that she could get her son to apologize to me. I mean literally she followed me through about 6 aisles loudly asking me to stop so her son could apologize. I finally stop and let him say he was sorry and I told him it wasn't his fault, that his mother was at fault for not teaching him manners. I bet she never chases anyone again.

Banish that from your memory along with the "F" word. We are or have been obese' date=' but "F" is derogatory!!![/quote']

Thank you ! Point taken !:-)

About 4 yrs ago, I had flown from Roanoke, VA to Medford, OR to look for a new house (was moving 3,000 mi away to start my life over after losing my husband). On the return flight, I had to take an 8 seater puddle jumper from Medford to San Fransisco. I guess their seatbelts were smaller on this smaller plane. I couldn't buckle it. I was horrified. Instead of asking for an extender, I just pretended that my seatbelt was belted. Then the attendant came around to check all of our seatbelts. They've NEVER done that before - until the one time mine was unbuckled. She offered my an extension. By that time, I was so red and embarrassed. I think she could tell cuz she kept apologizing. That flight couldn't have ended any sooner.

Marci

I was in the grocery store about a year ago. I had already been banded and lost about 60 pounds but was still extremely big.

Well, as I was walking with my kids, this little girl who was maybe 4yrs old starts pointing at me yelling very loud "mom look that fat girl!". She proceeded to yell this over and over, and the worst part is her idiot mom didn't even seem to care.

If I could have punched the mother in the head I would have. Repeatedly.

Unfortuately we all have those stories. My advice is to try to let those things go. You are on the way to new you and will make more exciting and better memories from now on!!!

Unfortuately we all have those stories. My advice is to try to let those things go. You are on the way to new you and will make more exciting and better memories from now on!!!

I agree !! But letting go is easier said than done . I also think it important that we know each others struggles as well as successes. I wanted people to share so that others can understand that Yes we all have been through this You are not alone. I think sharing helps us " to let go" a bit of unconventional therapy if u will ?

Fortunately I never had any experiences with being called "fat". I am so thicked skinned (or insensitive) it wouldn't have bothered me. There are so many other things that are so much worse that being called fat.

On the upside. Even though I have lost a lot of weight, I still have a ways to go. But 2 summers ago my husband and I were headed to L.A. for a wedding. I decided while we were there that I would take my husband to Disneyland. I grew up in the L.A. area and I wanted him to experience some of my childhood. So we get in the park and head towards the castle. The first ride we got to I asked the ride attendent if it was ok for me to get on, she waved me on and it was a blast. Second ride I did the same thing and again they waved me on. We got to the Submarine ride and I once again asked if it was ok for me to ride. Sure, no problem. It was a little tight on that one but I made it. So I decided I wasn't asking anymore and if they felt I was too big then they could just tell me. All was good all day long and we had a blast. I wore my butt out with all the walking and rides. Next day we went to San Diego and I toured the USS.Midway. I made so many strides on that vacation. Not once did I ever have anyone say anything to me.

Sometimes it's a cruel world, but let the other person worry about it and just live life to the fullest.

I remember about two years ago I had gone to the local butchers to get meat for our dinner that night, parked my car and went and ran my errands. When I got back to my car another car had parked a little too close to mine and even though I could open the door I couldn't get into my car, I tried for a few mins then gave up in embarrassment, I'm sure people noticed. I even tried to get Into the passenger's side and climb over but couldn't even manage to do that. I was so humiliated and had to wait outside my car for a good hour in scorching heat till the owner of the other car returned and drove off. I was close to tears with being angry with myself and humiliation. After that incident I always made sure I parked where there was lots of room. Even today when I'm in that situation I cringe thinking OMG what am I going to do but it's no longer a problem I actually can get into car if another has parked too close.

Whilst on holidays recently we had to go through a few turn styles and I was already in a pannick that I'd get stuck but I didn't, I walked through like every other normal person walking through.

Only once someone yelled out why don't you go to weight watchers but I pretended I didn't hear them and cried inside so noone else would notice.

i never had an experience where a person said something as i read, mine were more (private) the most embarrassing for me was (and sorry now TMI) was that i was getting so big i was having trouble wiping my hiney after going to the bathroom....that was and remains very embarrassing..i have not shared that with my friends at work or my hub..just on this forum....thanks for not laffing

i never had an experience where a person said something as i read' date=' mine were more (private) the most embarrassing for me was (and sorry now TMI) was that i was getting so big i was having trouble wiping my hiney after going to the bathroom....that was and remains very embarrassing..i have not shared that with my friends at work or my hub..just on this forum....thanks for not laffing[/quote']

I understand I went through that also , it's a bit easier now 65 lbs down :-)