Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cibo going bankrupt -Toronto

Hello All,

Please PM me in order to gain access to the Facebook group which has been created for all of us to get organised, throw around ideas and ensure we have a voice. This forum is fine, but not formal.

This is where I was banded also and I am so frustrated right now. The reason I went with clinic was the ongoing support ugh so mad!!

Hi all I was banded march 4/13 and went to get my fill today

Got there to find the doors locked.

I got no email as a courtesy.

I am an RN of close to 15 yrs

If they teach me I'll do the fills for free.

Hi All,

I know there are very few people here, compared to how many patients there are, but, the Facebook group link works now.

You've probably seen my other posts, no need to PM me for the address anymore. The whole point is a private forum for us to speak privately as patient to patient and our ideas going forward.

:)

I paid 18k and got a band with no fill

The dr need to follow their patients

I think we all lost our money ,hopes and dreams

I have spoken with dr Amin and nisrine and they are in the process of arranging support and fills for all patients

Dr Amin stated it was a shock and is unaware if it will be sold to a new buyer or arrangements to re open

This is only short term support and are arranging nurses to do fills for the patients that that require fills

I will update all with info the second I get it.

At least they are doing something to help us.

This is not what we all paid for but we need to take all that is offered at this time.

See message below

Hi

I host several coffee groups in the GTA area. I've met several CIBO Bandsters.

Dr. Chris Cobourn from Surgical Weight Loss Centre (Now Smartshape) has been out to several of my coffee group to give a presentation on how the lapband works.

Dr. Cobourn contacted me today and said that anyone that was banded at CIBO could contact his clinic. They are putting together a plan to help CIBO patients.

You can reach the clinic at 905-278-8000 and ask for Teresa or Rita.

Dr. Cobourn will be coming out a special coffee group in Mississauga on May 16th if anyone is interested. Space is limited to 30 seats. Please email me if you would like further details.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 156 lbs

tomander@bell.net

I received the following e-mail from Dr. Cobourn today and he asked me post it on his behalf.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Hi Tom:

We had a meeting at the clinic today and we have come up with the following option for CIBO patients.

We will offer them the opportunity to join our follow up program which includes:

Initial assessment/consultation with Dr. Cobourn either in person or on the phone

Counseling with our team of nurses, coaches and dietitians via email, telephone or in person as necessary

Band adjustments as necessary

Band adjustments can be performed at our facilities in Mississauga or Downtown Toronto, and with our affiliates across the country

Radiologic or endoscopic evaluation as necessary

24/7 access to one of our surgeons if there are concerns or worries after hours

Access to weekly webinars by our nurses and dietitian

Access to Lap Band Connect – an extensive online support forum for Lap Band patients

Access to this comprehensive program is offered to CIBO patients at the cost of $1000 per year and can be renewed annually as the patient wishes. We are not able to offer a fee for individual adjustments because our philosophy of care is that the highest quality Lap Band care is more extensive than simple band adjustments.

There was a great deal of empathy for the situation of these patients that are not able to access a follow up program that they have paid for. However there needs to be an understanding that there are real costs associated with the delivery of this extensive follow up and we cannot offer this program without additional cost to the patient. We understand that additional costs may be a burden for these patients and have modified or usual access fee for the CIBO patients.

It is important to understand that access to the follow up program does not include the cost of any revision surgery that may be necessary. Revision surgery may include port fixation or placement, as well as band repositioning, replacement or removal. We will develop a schedule of costs for these revision procedures.

Please feel free to post this information on the Message Forums that you have access to. You know the quality of the follow up that we provide and we think this is a fair and reasonable option for these patients. SWLC is well known for the quality of care we provide and all patients who join our program will have full access to the post op care we provide to our patients.

We want to assure the CIBO patients that we are here to help them if they are interested in our program.

Dr. Chris Cobourn | Surgeon and Medical Director

SmartShape Weight Loss Centre

Phone: 905.278.8000 | Toll-free: 1.888.278.7952 | Website: smartshape.ca

1413 Hurontario Street Mississauga ON L5G 3H5

Information contained in this email, and any attachments, is not intended to represent and is not to be relied upon as medical advice, which may only be provided by a physician. Further, this email, and none of its contents or attachments, in any way creates a physician/patient relationship between the sender and the recipient. This email, and any attachments, are confidential and intended only for the addressee. If you received this message in error, or are not the intended recipient, do not use any information in the email, or any of the attachments. Please inform us immediately of the erroneous delivery by return mail or email. Thank you for your cooperation.

Hi Tom,

I'm going to thank you for posting this information from Dr. Cobourn.

I assume you've read comments in this forum...

While Dr. Cobourn is trying to help, I can tell you that my immediate emotion was frustration. $1000 per year? You've seen people in this forum who have spent their life savings on the CIBO program. How do you think they are going to react?

I don't intend to be negative, but come on? :-(

BaTO

This is my opinion... but if you have no other options and no one else to help he can't do it for free.

No one is saying you have to call him... he's just making the offer.

If I were in this situation I would be thankful there was someone willing to help.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss; 156 lbs

You are absolutely right Tom! And thank you for passing along the information. No one is saying that anyone has to call but at least they are given the option. The situation is bad all around and of course none of us want to have to deal with it but it is done now and our immediate options are limited. There are several doctors and clinics who wouldn't want to touch a patient from another clinic (they all do things differently) and of course SWLC can't offer their services for free, they still have to pay their employee's to help us out.

What happens if Dr Cobourn makes a hole in my band when I am getting the fill at his clinic? Will I then have to pay $16,000 for a new band? I have been bitten once before, So I want to cover all my bases.

That is something you would have to discuss with Dr. C. It would be worth a phone call. I'm sure he would answer all your questions... you don't know if you don't ask.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06