Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair falling out in clumps

Freaking out!!! My hair is falling out in huge clumps when I wash it. My dr said he doesn't think it is from my WLS. But I'm not so sure. I want to know if anyone else has experienced this problem. If yes what are your suggestions for stoping and/or slowing the loss down?

I am almost 3 weeks post op and I do not have a problem with that ..how long have you had Lb? My friend knows someone who had that problem after wls to and I heard it will happen if you dont get enough nutrients...

I have gone through it yet, but my understanding is that it does stop, and your hair will fill back in. But a couple of things to keep in your arsenal, is Biotin and Biosil. These two things could slow the loss down, and for some, prevent it.

PROTEIN......so important. Are you getting enough of it. I try to get at LEAST 75 plus a day, I prefer 90 plus...

I am 4.5 months out and I am good to go!

Omg im goin thru the same thing,(banded 3/14/2013) ive heard that its normal ,cuz its like ure body goes into shock cuz ure not Eatin the same ...but its scary ,n kinda depressing ,its bad inuff wit al the changes made with the diet. Im even considering putting extensions, dr says my hair will grow bak but who nos how long dat will take , but stayin positive thats my thing..

Take a Multivitamin or buy Biotin it helps promote healthy hair and nails, according to my dr.

I lost so much hair the first year, it's no wonder I'm not bald. It really frightened me, because I've always had such thick healthy hair. My research showed that it's related to rapid weight loss, not necessarily the WLS itself. The good news is that my hair DID grow back. It took a long time. (I'm 2 years out now from banding.) I took a multivitamin, ate plenty of Protein, took the Biotin supplement (Hair, Skin Nails), and still lost probably half the hair on my head. Very scary.

I went through the same thing. Everyone always told me I had enough hair for several people. Long story short, I was glad of that fact... I was able to keep enough for one person! :unsure: I am 1 year out, and now I look like a porcupine! I have little hairs sticking up all over my head because it's all growing back! Mine def was all about Protein. Even now if I don't watch my protein intake, I notice I'm losing more than usual. That's my signal ( I tend to get off track easily! ;)). I use an app on my phone to track caloric intake, Vitamins, and most importantly PROTEIN. I tried Biotin because of all the things I read, but my doc told me that biotin only works if your biotin deficient and that most of the time that's not the problem. So like Junior Guru said try to get 75 to 100+ grams a day. :P

I went through the same thing. Everyone always told me I had enough hair for several people. Long story short, I was glad of that fact... I was able to keep enough for one person! :unsure: I am 1 year out, and now I look like a porcupine! I have little hairs sticking up all over my head because it's all growing back! Mine def was all about Protein. Even now if I don't watch my Protein intake, I notice I'm losing more than usual. That's my signal ( I tend to get off track easily! ;)). I use an app on my phone to track caloric intake, Vitamins, and most importantly PROTEIN. I tried Biotin because of all the things I read, but my doc told me that Biotin only works if your biotin deficient and that most of the time that's not the problem. So like Junior Guru said try to get 75 to 100+ grams a day. :P

How many grams of protein do you find keeps you from "shedding"?

How many grams of Protein do you find keeps you from "shedding"?

NEVER MIND... I just read ALL the way through the post. I don't always get 75-100, but I'm usually at 65-70. Some days I'm at 85, but that's not typical. I better start pouring on the unflavored Protein powder to everything I can :o I have very fine hair, and cannot afford to lose any!!

Your body will only absorb between 20-30g of Protein at a time, so don't waste your time on protein that promises 40 and 50 grams. I buy a shake from costco (Premium Protein) that has 30 grams and is $24 for 18 shakes. There's lots of good ones out there, but I find I like these best. There's my 2 cents! ;)

Typically if your hair is going to have shock from the surgery and anesthetic it occurs between months 3 and 6 after surgery. After that the loss slows and then a few months later starts to regrow. This happened for me after my daughters birth and also from months 3 to 5 after my WLS. Be patient, it is temporary;)

Your body will only absorb between 20-30g of Protein at a time, so don't waste your time on Protein that promises 40 and 50 grams. I buy a shake from costco (Premium Protein) that has 30 grams and is $24 for 18 shakes. There's lots of good ones out there, but I find I like these best. There's my 2 cents! ;)

I love the Premier Protein Shakes. I keep two cases of the chocolate around at all times :-)

The hair loss is directly connected with lack of Protein. :(

Not true. Many people lose hair simply because they have been put under for surgery and no amount of Protein or Biotin will fix that. It is very common.