Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-surgery experiences?

I just signed up for this site after doing quite a bit of research on Lap Band. I'm turning 18 in May, and I've been overweight since I was about 7 or 8 years old. My dad and brother both went through a fatty stage, but both of them lost all the weight when they were around 13. I never managed to lose it, and every time I diet I lose around 20-30 pounds, only to gain it back. I'm a good 150 pounds overweight, and I really want to change my lifestyle. My brother is 24 now, and in great shape. My mother has always been thin, and I hate being the only overweight person in my family. Thankfully, they are very supportive (my mother especially, she's like my best friend). I am currently about to finish my first year of community college, and go back in the fall, so I was hoping to maybe get it done this summer, but if not, hopefully I will be able to during December break. I really believe I'm ready to take this journey, but surgery absolutely terrifies me. The thought of going under, having someone cut me open, and waking up all stitched up gives me so much anxiety. I've never had any major type of surgery, although I did have to go under anesthesia when I was 4 to get tubes put into my ears as a result of numerous ear infections (But that's clearly a completely different experience LOL). I was wondering how the recovery process is, and I was hoping some of you could share your post-op stories. Also, is there intense pain after surgery, or just soreness, and about how long does it take to fully recover?

I am 38 and have been overweight since I was 5 or 6. I wish I would have done this sooner! I was banded in January of this year. I also have 150+ to lost total. For me, the recovery was not bad. My procedure was outpatient and I was home in my bed by 2:30 in the afternoon. I slept a lot the first day and it hurt in my abdominal region as expected especially twisting and turning. Some like to sleep in a recliner. I chose to use several pillows to prop up on in my bed. My husband helped me get up the first day. I hated the liquid prescription pain killer and only took it once. I then took just regular tylenol (liquid form) for a few days. By Day 3, I went thrift store shopping and by Day 4 I went to a workshop with friends for a few hours. I was back at work on day 8 (I am a teacher.)

I also have a lot of anxiety and hated the thought of being put to sleep. They do give you some calming medicine before you "go under." The fear of the unknown is worse than the actual procedure. I'd do it again!

I have to tell you that the heating pad and sugar free popsicles were my best friends those first few days because your throat will be sore from the breathing tube they insert during surgery. The heading pad just felt good for the trapped air. Best of luck and ask us on the forum lots of questions.

The surgery itself is easy, you are asleep then wake up and it's over. The only thing is the blood work and IVs that can hurt . But if you have had any blood work done you know it's just the prick of the needles. You will be sore and tired for about a week and you will have pain at the incision especially where they put the port and gas pain in your shoulders from the CO2 they use during surgery. But you will have pain meds and GASX help a lot that first week. You will need to take it easy for about 6 weeks or your Dr.'s orders. Follow your Dr.'s orders in how and what you eat. Go to the classes your hospital has and read this site to see what to expect. Good luck

I was banded in Jan. 2010 and everything went great. Like many others say, the only pain I had is where the port site is..so take your pain meds so you can get up and walk around. Good for circulation and getting that CO2 out of your belly from surgery. You will be tired and sore but if it wasn't for the port site I would've felt like they didn't do much. I even asked "did you do it already" But then the numbing agent wore off the site and I started feeling it....about a week and you will be back to yourself. Everyone is different though. Remember to walk, walk and walk. It will help so much with a quicker recovery. Make yourself get up and walk. Thats what the pain meds are for if you need them. Maybe at night to help you sleep too. Yes, surgery is scary but so is the thought of dying of dieabetes and all that other awful stuff that comes with obesity. AS long as you have faith in your doc and hospital you will be fine. I don't want to scare you at all because we are all different, but my band doesn't like me so I have to have it removed and I am having the sleeve done May 1...I got a leak too in my band so thats my story. Talk about being scared. Taking most of my stomach out, just a weird feeling. You will do fine and they are there to help you and encourage you. I stayed over night. Glad I did. Three young boys at home, what a rest I had. Best wishes and keep us posted. And oh how blessed you are to be 18 and gets this done. many of us have gone most of our lives with this awful disease. I am so thankful this tool is out there for you now, you can live the rest of your life healthier and happier. I am so happy for you !!!! And sounds like you have a great support group.....Again, best wishes.