Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slightly uncomfortable question about....

CONSTIPATION!!!

So I've NEVER experienced Constipation until my band and now I know how horrible it is.

Can anyone suggest ways to avoid this?

I had to take a laxative and that "cleared up" the problem but also gave me two days of the OPPOSITE problem.

Thanks in advance, wise folk!

This is normal in the beginning as we are all eating WAY cleaner than we did before. Pain killers and surgey "alone" can make it worse. I had to add some Fiber (Metamucil) in my diet pretty much everyday for a few weeks. I also used Miralax once a week as it is less aggressive than other laxatives. Once I started eating solids, drinking my Water, and moving more (walking, etc.), it rectified (no pun intended) itself.

Feel better soon!

This is normal in the beginning as we are all eating WAY cleaner than we did before. Pain killers and surgey "alone" can make it worse. I had to add some Fiber (Metamucil) in my diet pretty much everyday for a few weeks. I also used Miralax once a week as it is less aggressive than other laxatives. Once I started eating solids' date=' drinking my Water, and moving more (walking, etc.), it rectified (no pun intended) itself.

Feel better soon![/quote']

Lol at "rectified!!" Thank you! I seem to have the opposite problem where this started once I returned to solids. Maybe it's the Water factor? I haven't been drinking as much in order to meet my Protein goal.

Adding the fiber (Metamucil) will also help the "runs" if you have been getting that too. For me..it was all trial and error. It's a nuisance but I seem to have "leveled out" now. I find that adding some Beans to your diet helps as well.

:)

Interestingly, I had a chronic problem with Constipation prior to surgery. Now things seem to have moved in the OTHER direction :P

MiraLax is a great laxative. It's tasteless, and mixes with Water. You have to use it more than one time, but it doesn't cause any gastric distress, and has zero chemical effect in your body.

Adding the fiber (Metamucil) will also help the "runs" if you have been getting that too. For me..it was all trial and error. It's a nuisance but I seem to have "leveled out" now. I find that adding some Beans to your diet helps as well.

:)

Ooooohhh! I was hooked on black Beans for a few days until I realized they make my stomach literally blow up!! Lol I keep forgetting to buy Beano, so I'm avoiding the beans at the moment!

I have some Metamucil, maybe ill sneak it into my coffee in the morning and see if it helps. The Constipation is increasing my port pain so I have to fix it. Thanks for all of your help!

Interestingly, I had a chronic problem with Constipation prior to surgery. Now things seem to have moved in the OTHER direction :P

MiraLax is a great laxative. It's tasteless, and mixes with Water. You have to use it more than one time, but it doesn't cause any gastric distress, and has zero chemical effect in your body.

I swear by it!!

As soon as you are able, make sure you are eating plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables. Its natural fibre and doesn't take much to satisfy your hunger.

Being on high Protein in its self will constipate you. Prune juice works great without laxatives if you can stand it but I always laughed at my mother when I was young when I saw it in the fridge and now I have it in mine lol. Miralax is okay too but sometimes takes too long for me. I use peri colace (the generic version) its rarely that I don't need something to go.

I have Constipation, n its killing me i tryed prune juice , miralax was my lass choice cuz i took it be for n cudnt stop goin, but its werid cuz i stated the mushy diet about one week ago n now im constipated. N im eating greens.. idont understand ,wen i was drinking Protein Shakes i was fine , is this Normal n e other sujestions ??

FYI-- I called my doc for advice about avoiding Constipation and his nurse said take Miralax twice a day. They don recommend taking fiber because it fills you up and you risk not getting to your Protein and nutrient goal.

I have constipation' date=' n its killing me i tryed prune juice , Miralax was my lass choice cuz i took it be for n cudnt stop goin, but its werid cuz i stated the mushy diet about one week ago n now im constipated. N im eating greens.. idont understand ,wen i was drinking Protein shakes i was fine , is this Normal n e other sujestions ??[/quote']

My doc said take miralax twice a day.