Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Port removal tomorrow due to infection. Will I still have restriction?

So I was banded on March 4th and when they removed the staples my port incision came open. It has been a roller coaster since then but now a month later the port site is clearly infected and I have surgery scheduled tomorrow to remove the port and part of the tube.

I am wondering if the tube will just be "open" to my insides or sealed, i.e., will the saline currently in my lapband (3 ml) leak out or will I lose all restriction?

Also, since there is infection at the port site, will they leave the wound open to drain or close it up with staples or stitches? Im supposed to travel which they told me I could do but I don't want to travel with an open gaping wound!

I just want to know as much as possible what to expect.

It is of course possible they will remove the entire lap band tomorrow depending on what they find when they open me up. We will see.

Thanks!

Wow so sorry you're going through this.

Unfortunately, until they replace the port and tubing, you won't have any Fluid in your band.

When is the doctor planning on replacing them?

I would really talk to your doctor. He'd be the person to best answer all your questions.

Sorry to hear that you had problems. Good luck. I don't know enough about this to answer questions, just wanted to say my prayers are with you.

Arlene

Best wishes for your follow up surgery. Your questions really must be addressed by your dr. Any advice/info we could offer here would, at best, be based on personal experience, and everyone's circumstances are different, along with our drs who also take different approaches.

So I was banded on March 4th and when they removed the staples my port incision came open. It has been a roller coaster since then but now a month later the port site is clearly infected and I have surgery scheduled tomorrow to remove the port and part of the tube.

I am wondering if the tube will just be "open" to my insides or sealed' date=' i.e., will the saline currently in my lapband (3 ml) leak out or will I lose all restriction?

Also, since there is infection at the port site, will they leave the wound open to drain or close it up with staples or stitches? Im supposed to travel which they told me I could do but I don't want to travel with an open gaping wound!

I just want to know as much as possible what to expect.

It is of course possible they will remove the entire lap band tomorrow depending on what they find when they open me up. We will see.

Thanks![/quote']

So yes, agree you need to ask you doc for specifics....for really bad infections they do sometimes leave the wound open to heal from the inside out, I can not say if this will be your case or not, simply that it is a possibility (it's called healing by secondary intention FYI). I would be surprised if you have any restriction until you are healed and th port s replaced. I am very sorry you're avin such terrible issues and wish you the best!

Is this going to be done in the Dr.'s office with a local? Or under full anesthesia....

Removing just the port means you will have no Fluid in your band.....

my prayers will be with you. may all go well.

I am wondering how things went for you ?

After 12 years of having my band , I am now facing the same thing...

I am so scared.

I have had my port fixed 3 times, but the thought of losing my "friend" is unnerving !

Please let us know how it went :)

My port got infected a few weeks ago. I was ready to have the band removed, so it was kinda funny because I thought I'd have to convince the doc to take it out, and he thought he'd have to convince me to give the band up, but we were on the same page! I have an open wound, and have to pack it twice a day-- not sure how long it will go on like this, but I'm off the antibiotics (had allergic reaction to two of them). I am finding the pain is much worse and I'm much for debilitated with the removal than when I had the band put in 9 years ago. I believe it's due to the fact that the port had to be dug out (so much scar tissue), and now it's an open wound-- so keep that in mind when you have the port removed. definitely ask your doc as many questions as possible!Molly

Millert hope u get better soon keep us updated.

So I thought I should give an update. First, thank-you everyone for your good thoughts and sharing your experiences!

I did indeed have my port removed on April 4th, one month after having it "installed". There was a large lump between the port site and another laporoscopic incision which was a pus-filled abcess. they removed the port and left that site open and also opened the other laporscopic incision site to the left of that. I had to see a nurse to get the bandages changed daily for about 3 weeks, then every second or third day for another two weeks until finally my wounds are closed and mosty healed. My port site is an ugly, ugly sunken scar which looks almost like another belly button. Not nice at all.

I don't feel as if I have the same restriction as before the removal of the port, although the surgeons in my team sometimes clip the tube to keep the saline in and I am not sure if that was done or not (yes, i've been asking! My main surgeon did not do the surgery as it was considered an emergency so it has been hard to find out!). I don't think so however since I don't feel the same restriction at all.

I've only lost 2-3 lbs since the removal of the port. I'm down 28 lbs total since the start of the pre-op diet, which puts my weight now at about 170 and my bmi at about 30. I'd like to lose more but I think it will be tough from here on in. I'm hungrier!

I'm also being checked for an erosion -like I need another complication - because I have pain that comes and goes in my left side, like a stitch. I've had a CT scan and a barium swallow. I see my surgeon again tomorrow morning. It's frustrating but that's how it is!

My surgeon wants to replace the port, ideally in the fall. I want to lose more but I'm also quite nervous about another surgery with even more complications. I have two young kids and it's a month of illness and recovery and being off of work after each surgery. If I am able to lose more over the summer I may just forego the second surgery altogether. It's all starting to feel very risky. Although I am delighted to b 28 lbs down, bp more normal, heart rate down, and just generally feeling better in my body.

Phew! What an update!

Everything you asked us should be asked to your doctor. I can empathize for what you're going through but the only one who can help you best is your doctor.

I wish you well and hope it turns out OK!

So I thought I should give an update. First' date=' thank-you everyone for your good thoughts and sharing your experiences!

I did indeed have my port removed on April 4th, one month after having it "installed". There was a large lump between the port site and another laporoscopic incision which was a pus-filled abcess. they removed the port and left that site open and also opened the other laporscopic incision site to the left of that. I had to see a nurse to get the bandages changed daily for about 3 weeks, then every second or third day for another two weeks until finally my wounds are closed and mosty healed. My port site is an ugly, ugly sunken scar which looks almost like another belly button. Not nice at all.

I don't feel as if I have the same restriction as before the removal of the port, although the surgeons in my team sometimes clip the tube to keep the saline in and I am not sure if that was done or not (yes, i've been asking! My main surgeon did not do the surgery as it was considered an emergency so it has been hard to find out!). I don't think so however since I don't feel the same restriction at all.

I've only lost 2-3 lbs since the removal of the port. I'm down 28 lbs total since the start of the pre-op diet, which puts my weight now at about 170 and my bmi at about 30. I'd like to lose more but I think it will be tough from here on in. I'm hungrier!

I'm also being checked for an erosion -like I need another complication - because I have pain that comes and goes in my left side, like a stitch. I've had a CT scan and a barium swallow. I see my surgeon again tomorrow morning. It's frustrating but that's how it is!

My surgeon wants to replace the port, ideally in the fall. I want to lose more but I'm also quite nervous about another surgery with even more complications. I have two young kids and it's a month of illness and recovery and being off of work after each surgery. If I am able to lose more over the summer I may just forego the second surgery altogether. It's all starting to feel very risky. Although I am delighted to b 28 lbs down, bp more normal, heart rate down, and just generally feeling better in my body.

Phew! What an update![/quote']

Milee I'm so glad you are healing. I agree with you as not wanting any other surgeries. I think that we are all so brave to do this and give it a try but we must know when to change route. 28 pounds makes a big difference. Do ur best to maintain it. Portion Control, healthy choices. There are people that try hard to convince me thAt a slice of pizza won't hurt me but I didn't go under a knife to eat a slice of pizza after. I've even eliminated sugar altogether. I know that when I go to a Brazilian restaurant I won't be able to help myself and I will have a slice of Brazilian flan but I am aware. And I won't be going for a long g time. I wish u the best and you are incredibly brave to have done it in the first place.

Happy to hear you are finally healing. Best wishes going forward and making your decisions about what is right for you! I know that I would hate to lose my band and would do anything to keep it!