Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I feel incredibly vulnerable posting this. Please don't hate.

Binge eating was officially defined in 2010 as an eating disorder. To use a broad paint brush, isn't that how most of us got to be overweight? Binge eating?

When our bands are working properly, they help to prevent us from eating too much. What they don't do is make the mental feeling of needing to eat/binge go away.

It's been over three years for me since band surgery. I bounce around a weight loss of 40-50 lbs for which I'm grateful. But there are still times when I feel the need to binge. Sometimes I win the battle, sometimes I don't. Please don't lecture me on how dangerous binging is for banders, I know.

Does anybody else with a band suffer from eating disorders? Can we talk?

I have trouble at night around bed time. Think is has to do with one of my medications. I try really hard to have healthier things to eat. There are many times when I dont feel like I can stop myself, but I am better at the choices I make. Best of luck to you and thanks for sharing.

I doubt anyone would lecture over binging being dangerous to one's health and for some it's an addiction of some sort. I was never a binger myself, I just ate the wrong foods and would sit down and eat too much. But sweets, ice cream, cakes etc were never my achilles heel.

I still find myself standing in front of an open refrigerator door and realizing I'm not hungry and why the Hell am I standing there? The band has given me the knowledge to know when I'm hungry and when I'm craving. Right now, the band is winning but sometimes I still give in to the craving but so much less now than ever before.

No I was never a binge eater. My problem is constant grazing. This is actually harder to "fix" with the band although the band does help a lot by taking away some of the hunger.

I was a big time binge eater. The problem is, the type of foods I binged on are also slider foods so I could still very easily binge if I let myself.

I have said many times- if I'd had this surgery 2 years before I did, I'd have failed miserably. Why? Because I wasn't in the right place mentally to be successful with it. I'd have continued to binge and eat around the band. Quite honestly, I probably would've blamed the band for my own failure, too. I was in a horrible place emotionally and I doubt I'd have taken any responsibility for my actions.

Thankfully, when I did get the Lap Band, I had gone through a lot of inner healing and I was in a good place emotionally. This to me is key. In fact, it breaks my heart because I see over and over on these boards how badly people sabotage themselves with their eating habits. I've been called "harsh" or "mean" a couple times for suggesting people seek counseling before getting the band. I never mean in a harsh or negative way, I simply believe until we get a grip on our mental issues we're never going to be successful with our physical issues.

As we always say- the band goes around our stomachs not our brains. The head issues will forever be ours to fix.

Best wishes on your continued journey.

I was. A binge eater....entire large pizzas by myself, full quarts of ice cream, enough Chinese take out to feed 4....

2 things happened with the band......one, the hunger has been alleviated, along with the interest in food....second, the band has set my portion sizes....if I were to attempt to eat too much it would probably result in pain, and probably regurgitation.....

Both of which will result in behavior modification....at least that is what happened to me....I cannot overeat, if I wanted to...which I no longer want to....

Have you discussed this with your doc or a counselor? After I was banded, I started tapering off of an anti-depressant. As I got further and further down in the dosage, I started having problems with fixations on food. For example, when my DH was adjusting to an insulin pump, he kept candy around the house to counteract low blood sugar episodes. Just having in house made me preoccupied with eating that candy. I would decide to have candy, even though I: a) wasn't hungry, B) didn't even really want it, and c) knew it was in the house for a temporary and possibly emergent, need.

I began see a counselor to get some help with these "head hunger" issues. (I didn't need a fill.) She opined that I may have some OCD traits and recommended that I resume taking an antidepressant, but suggested a different one. My pcp agreed and prescribed the medication. It really has helped.

It also helps that DH has his blood sugar under control with the right dose of bolus insulin. He also carries glucose tabs if he needs something to counteract low blood sugar.

i was a binger (especially during tough times)..struggling with that right now (although i am not doing it, its never far from my mind).....

i was also bulemic in high school......i binged big time and then purged and also abused exlax for a long time....therapy def helped but what helped me most was realizing what i was doing to myself and then seeking help.

id never lecture you as i know what you are feeling.

but like TMF said, you stand at fridge and you make the decision to eat or not.

i do that every day.....i am stronger than that bag of lays bbq chips and a case of coors light...sure it would taste awesome......but afterwards i'd feel like SH*T

if you feel a binge, what i do is, walk, read or take a bath or give myself a time out or post on this forum

i am not sure if my answer is what you were looking for but its the one i wanted to post just the same...please take care of yourself and your band as you are the only one who can do that.

I love this thread, I am also struggling with my head hunger big time. I'm seeing my pcp next week and will ask him if he can recommend a counselor who specializes in eating disorders. My pcp is also a bandster so he will understand. My problem is I want to binge on sugar, candy, chocolate etc... I stand in front of the fridge and kitchen cabinets, my empty cookie jar and I don't understand these feelings of wanting to eat but being physically unable to is so hard. It's very confusing. I'm not always able to leave the house for a walk or easily distract myself, but I am trying so hard....

I was a big time binge eater. The problem is' date=' the type of foods I binged on are also slider foods so I could still very easily binge if I let myself.

I have said many times- if I'd had this surgery 2 years before I did, I'd have failed miserably. Why? Because I wasn't in the right place mentally to be successful with it. I'd have continued to binge and eat around the band. Quite honestly, I probably would've blamed the band for my own failure, too. I was in a horrible place emotionally and I doubt I'd have taken any responsibility for my actions.

Thankfully, when I did get the Lap Band, I had gone through a lot of inner healing and I was in a good place emotionally. This to me is key. In fact, it breaks my heart because I see over and over on these boards how badly people sabotage themselves with their eating habits. I've been called "harsh" or "mean" a couple times for suggesting people seek counseling before getting the band. I never mean in a harsh or negative way, I simply believe until we get a grip on our mental issues we're never going to be successful with our physical issues.

As we always say- the band goes around our stomachs not our brains. The head issues will forever be ours to fix.

Best wishes on your continued journey.[/quote']

I've never been a binge eater but I ate the wrong foods and would always eat more than a normal portion. I grew up thinking that a bowl of Cereal was a full bowl not just 1/2 cup. So I had portion distortion.

As far as psychological counseling goes, my surgeon set that as a prerequisite with all his patients. You really have to be psychologically ready for WLS. Lap band is not a quick fix by any means or an easy way out.I feel fabulous now (surgery was 12/28/12) but two days after surgery I felt like a Mack truck hit me. Luckily I was prepared for it and I'm so grateful I had this surgery. The lap band is just a tool and when used properly it works. Using that tool means using your head to make the right decisions.

Good luck to everyone on their weight loss journey!

So much understanding and words of encouragement are greatly appreciated.

The suggestion to see a therapist is an excellent one. I think for many banders, a behavior therapist is just as important as a nutritionist, if not more so. I see my pcp and a new bariatric surgeon for follow up care this week. I'm going to ask them both for a recommendation for an eating disorder therapist. I really need to get my head on straight so my band will stay that way.

I think those of us who struggle with eating disorders soon learn that they don't go away with band surgery. Please don't let this post close this conversation. I want to hear from you.

How's it going? I'm struggling, I am feeling more and more hunger, my first fill is next week and I really need it, and hope it curbs my cravings. I just ate a lot of chocolate!!! I'm such an idiot!!!!

How's it going? I'm struggling, I am feeling more and more hunger, my first fill is next week and I really need it, and hope it curbs my cravings. I just ate a lot of chocolate!!! I'm such an idiot!!!!

Just don't continue to be an idiot. Depends on how much you ate? If it was a 16 oz hershey's almond bar kick your own a$$. If it's just a couple of bites walk it off. FYI-I have two hershey's dark chocolate bliss cubes every night. It's like 50 calories? Not going to sweat it.

tmf

I feel incredibly vulnerable posting this. Please don't hate.

Binge eating was officially defined in 2010 as an eating disorder. To use a broad paint brush, isn't that how most of us got to be overweight? Binge eating?

When our bands are working properly, they help to prevent us from eating too much. What they don't do is make the mental feeling of needing to eat/binge go away.

It's been over three years for me since band surgery. I bounce around a weight loss of 40-50 lbs for which I'm grateful. But there are still times when I feel the need to binge. Sometimes I win the battle, sometimes I don't. Please don't lecture me on how dangerous binging is for banders, I know.

Does anybody else with a band suffer from eating disorders? Can we talk?

Years before binge eating was classified as an eating disorder my therapist said I was a "non purging bulimic." I have been a binger from day one I am sure. For nearly 28 years I have been an active member of Overeaters Anonymous and this has helped some. I did the band because I could not release the weight in a way I felt comfortable. I have only been banded about 2 months but have lost around 35 pounds. With the support and structure of OA and the band and the support groups I go to at my bariatric clinic I am getting a lot more support. I must admit last night was not a good one. I bought something at the store that is sugar free, but it still became a binge food. Gave it to my roommate and I hope he enjoys. If not it goes in the garbage. I have used some therapy as well to help with the eating disorder. Wish you the best with your band and keep up the good work.

Not an idiot just venerable to chocolate. I always say that I never meant a chocolate I did not like!