Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First fill....no restriction

I was banded 7 weeks ago. I had my first fill (3cc in a 14cc band) 1 week ago. I had no restriction before the fill and still have none. My next appointment is in 3 weeks. Should I wait this amount of time or see if I can get in sooner for another fill? Do I need to give it more time? I have lost 25 pounds, but that is sheer willpower. I'd like to hear from the veterans. Thanks.

I felt like I had restriction for about 5 minutes after my first fill, it didn't seem to make much difference until my 3rd one. My doc told me I could come in early for my second fill, but I didn't do that. I really don't know why, other than I had it in my head I had to learn better habits and I was concentrating on that. If you feel like you need more restriction now, and your doctor is okay with another fill now, I say go for it.

It's very normal to not have adequate Fluid in your band after one fill. Most of us need multiple fills over a number of months before we're finally in the Green Zone.

What you're feeling is very normal.

I understand that I more likely than not, need multiple fills. What I really need to know is should I wait another three weeks until the next one. Thanks

My opinion is yes. Sometimes it takes 10 days to two weeks for it to kick in. There is also healing time. It usually takes more than 1 fill to feel anything. Again my opinion is to relax and practice the rules and wait the three weeks.

Keep up the great work

wendy

Thanks for the input.

My biggest piece of advice for newbies : HAVE PATIENCE! For the first 4 mths and 2 fills, I ate as I had previously - cuz I could. Didn't lose 1 lb. After my 3rd (the magic one) fill, it started happening. The lbs started melting off.

Continue with your band portions, eating slowly, not drinking with meals, etc. You're doing really well. Wish I had that little tidbit of advice when I was going thru it - I didn't follow the rules at all and now I'm paying for it (a slipped band).

Congrats on your success!

Marci

I have a 14cc band as well so I was in your shoes sista ! I had surgery in Jan, he put 3 cc in there. Had fill of 2 more ccs.... Nothing, next fill... 2 more cc's, ... Nothing ..... Wasn't until my 3rd fill and then it was like.... HELLO tightness ! I stayed with this for a month while I get used to it. I am starting to have hunger in between meals, so 1 more fill and I will be done. Have lost 54 lbs ! Feel free to message with any concerns.

Great thread for us March bandsters who are waiting for that first fill. Thanks, everybody.

I have a 10cc band and had a hiatal hernia repair when the band was placed. Two days before my first fill I had horrible heartburn. I told the doc and she wanted to be very conservative with my fill. I have stopped taking Allegra in pill form and now take my prilosec at night and the combo seems to help. In any event, I only have 1.2 cc in my band to let my esophogus heal from the heartburn (presumably caused by the Allegra getting stuck... I wasn't splitting or crushing and think it was the culprit). So these next three weeks before my next appt will be nothing short of torture because I feel no restriction at all. I have been trying to stick to portions, but I don't think I am going to see any scale movement for a few months. I feel your pain. But so glad there are so many veterans on here to help motivate us through the newbie period.

After my first fill, of 4cc, and before my 2nd fill of 2cc's, I GAINED WEIGHT!!!!

Talk about feeling like this was a big waste of my time......all that for NOTHING!!!!! I told my Dr. I am as hungry as I ever was, and cannot control my portion sizes....

FORTUNATELY I have a good Dr., who calmly explained to me, using the Yellow-Green_Red chart on the wall, and a sample of the band and port, one that he actually injects saline into to demonstrate how this thing works....and that it will take time to get the band properly adjusted to where I am in the Green Zone....he plainly said that is his goal for all his patients.....

It took 3 fills over 4 months to get me there....then another 2 months of a wild ride until "Learned" and changed my habits...it was at this point all those silly little rules suddenly became absolutely necessary if I wanted to succeed.....otherwise....I am convinced I would have been a failure and this thing would have been a horror story.