Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Possible solution for PB's and restriction pain

LisInBoston - PB stands for Productive Burp, a nice name given to a not-so-nice event which occurs when people eat foods that refuse to go through the band and become "stuck". This often producing an excess of saliva secretion to help move the food through. Since the food is already stuck there is no swallowing that saliva so it often fills the mouth and has to be spit out (sliming). Some PBs happen quickly, with the food just coming back up with no pain or effort, while other more sever cases include pain and take some time to resolve. The pain is compared to getting a large airbubble or golfball stuck in your esophagus, just behind the breastplate. You are not derprived of air during this time, as the food isnt stuck in airways.

There are many foods that are known to cause PBs for bandsters. Those include, but arent limited to:

Breads

pastas

salad

fruit with thick skins (grapes, oranges, etc)

Steak or ground beef

chicken

Usually, meats can be dipped in juice or sauces to make them moist enough to eat. Dry meats are usually a problem.

My report - I tried this last time I PBed (on a baked chip :) ) and it didn't do squat.

For one I couldn't do it. I don't know what y'all feel when your stuck or ready to PB, but there's no way I can take a deep breath. I truly and honestly tried, but I just can't get a big breath, let alone hold it. No way, no how. :)

For two, the mini versions of this I managed did nothing. Chip had to come back up. I've had a minor stick since then (more my own version of 1st bite syndrome than true stick), and this didn't do squat for me.

For those of who it worked for - lucky you. By the way, you suck. :)

OK, first the golf ball in the chest doesn't happen all the time, however it can be triggered by almost anything even stress while eating. No more yelling at hubby or the kids while eating--this is a good thing! Second your port doesn't stick out of your body, it is under the skin and I don't even feel mine. The dr. has to push and prod in the area of my scar from the incision to locate it when I'm getting a fill and even that doesn't hurt.

All these little idiosyncrasies are are nothing when you are experiencing a good amount of weight loss. I just keep remembering the days when I ate as little as possible and still couldn't lose the weight. So keep the faith and I know you will succeed.

Virginia banded 11/11/04

Well, I tried this too and it didn't seem to work for me either. We're definately all different and we each find our ways to cope when this happens I guess. Oh well...I'm glad it's working for others.

I am very interested in feedback from anyone. I was banded 4/15/05 and had a very quick recovery with a fill at 4 weeks and another 3 weeks later. I felt good restriction to the point it just limited my food intake and didn't have issues with any certain food other than certain breads like tortillas and Breakfast breads.

A few months ago I started to PB a lot (4-5 times per week). I went into the doctor and had .5 ccs removed. It got much better but in the last 2 weeks, I can't even keep Water down in the morning until about 3 hours after being up. I have always had a hot chai tea 1st thing and then Breakfast after, but the hot chai is now coming up. What's weird is that later in the day I can keep solid foods down most of the time.

Can it be slipping if some times you can eat solids but other times not even liquids? I haven't had any heartburn or reflux (heard those were slippage symtoms), just the golf ball feeling and the inability to keep it down.

I put in a call to my doctor, but they are closed Friday afternoons and I travel Mon-Thurs.

Thanks,

KH:guess

Pam, I've been banded 6 weeks, so this is a newbie talking but I've never had PB's or slimed, or had food stuck. BUT I am SO careful about what I eat and how I eat it. I followed my Doc's food suggestions faithfully. My band-buddy has been banded 5 years and she's only had one time with food stuck. She was the one who told me: Chew, chew, chew. I get tired of chewing. I want to eat like the old days, unconscious and just putting it down but those days are gone. I'm losing weight very nice and not hungry. You can do everything right and PBs and slime can still happe but this is just my experience. ALSO, look into the newer, larger more flexible VG band. I have the Vandgard band and I don't seem to have the prolblems with food getting stuck and PBs others in my support group have with the smaller band.. Here is a tread on the size of bands:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=19113&highlight=band+size

ALSO PB's and slimming

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=17625&highlight=band+size

Looks like you are doing your research. Great. Ask all the questions you need to, check out complications etc. You'll know if this is right for you or not.

Pam, I've been banded 6 weeks, so this is a newbie talking but I've never had PB's or slimed, or had food stuck. BUT I am SO careful about what I eat and how I eat it. I followed my Doc's food suggestions faithfully. My band-buddy has been banded 5 years and she's only had one time with food stuck. She was the one who told me: Chew, chew, chew. I get tired of chewing. I want to eat like the old days, unconscious and just putting it down but those days are gone. I'm losing weight very nice and not hungry. You can do everything right and PBs and slime can still happe but this is just my experience. ALSO, look into the newer, larger more flexible VG band. I have the Vandgard band and I don't seem to have the prolblems with food getting stuck and PBs others in my support group have with the smaller band.. Here is a tread on the size of bands:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthrea...ight=band+size

ALSO PB's and slimming

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthrea...ight=band+size

Looks like you are doing your research. Great. Ask all the questions you need to, check out complications etc. You'll know if this is right for you or not.

Banded 5.5.06

Weight 250 and losing!

Colorado

:) I haven't been banded yet but was thinking seriously about it. I am concerned about this though because I have a fear of choking. Is that possible or is it just uncomfortable? And can it be avoided? Is it from eating too fast, taking too big of a bite or what, I don't know? I don't want to be afraid. I really want to lose weight and I really don't want to go to the extreme of a permanent gastric bypass. Can you alleviate my fears? It is worth all this, with a "port" sticking out of your body, and slime and pain?

Pam

Yes it's worth it....Eventually we'll learn to live successful with the band...Each day I learn more of what I can or can't do...It's so much better knowing that I'm not going to eat ALL DAY LONG...because I plan to diet tomarrow....I no longer obsess about food...I now eat to live...We watch the cooking shows and try new recipe's...life is lot's better...I'll never diet again....I'll just live ....

I haven't had these PB problems yet, I am only 9 days out and still on liquids...but have a feeling I will be forever glad I read about it first!! I did want to say that the man who spoke at the seminar I went to told us about the meat tenderizer. And something Kim said in an earlier post made me think to mention this, they sell it as meat tenderizer, but it can be used to dislodge any type of food, his personal experience was with the skin of a grape. Like he told us, they would have a hard time marketing grape skin tenderizer...or in your case the other day Kim, spaghetti-0 tenderizer!! He recommended it, and the woman who spoke says she never goes anywhere without her Papaya enzymes. I think I may practice deep breathing and buy both tenderizer and papaya!! Anyway guys, thanks for the heads up!!!

Kat

Hi...what does the tenderazier do, and what would I do ?....how to use it?..pat

Can I ask all of you what it feels like when you have eaten too fast or the wrong food? Where do you feel the pain and does it last for a few days? Is it a gnawing pain etc?

Makes sense to me Jesse! But you should probably make sure the doctor agrees. I always worry about slippage or increasing the size of the pouch...and it seems that all this air and the pressure might just do that!....I would probably make sure this is NOT the case. But thanks!!! At least it's a temporary fix to a painful problem!

Nancy

Hi Leener! You asked about how it feels when you eat the wrong food. I feel it between my breasts - right in the center. It starts, for me, as a pain where it feels like you can't catch your breath. It happened to me on Sunday with deli meat and I had stabbing pains there, it was very painful. You can actually feel your esophagus trying to push that food through. I was gurgling, burping, hiccuping, sliming, you name it. My body was struggling to get that meat down, I was even sweating profusely!

The pain was a dull ache after the food went through, almost like my stoma was irritated. It lasted for just the afternoon, yesterday I was better and eating normally.

It's happened 4 times now and all 4 times it was my fault for not chewing properly. If I just concentrate on chewing, all goes down fine.

OK oficially Im an idiot...lol cause I had the golfball feeling and sliming couple of times and I tried to breath:-)))) Thanx for your info:-)

Thanks lildarlin,

That happened to me twice 2 weeks ago for the first time, and I've had that feeling ever since.