Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A little info from the veterans plz....

I am 3 weeks out from being banded. I started at 223' I am now 201. I am very thrilled. I haven't lost this much weight since I was on Phen-fen in 1996. I am sticking to my liquids, exercising 3-4 times a week just an hour at 3.2 on the treadmill until I am fully healed. I absolutely have very limited energy due to the low calories and exercising. My biggest question is I think about the foods that I used to eat. Am I EVER going to be able to have a bite of those things? I am not talking about a large order of fries or a pound of Pasta, but how about a bite or two? I am ready for this journey and will have no problem sticking to it. I was just wondering what everyone else's experience has been.

Everybody reacts to the surgery differently, but for me (I was banded in August and have had a couple of fills, including one just today), I can eat anything as long as I don't eat recklessly. When I'm cautious and I make sure my meats/chickens are semi-soft, and I eat small bites and chew I'm good to go

I think you'll find that you will be able to eat most anything you really want to eventually. Some things are a struggle for me, so I just dont "want" them now. Very few things, if any, I couldn't eat if I really tried to. I dont eat much steak, hardly no bread, so very rarely a sandwich. If I wanted to, I suppose I could. It's just not friendly to my band restriction now. I don't even think about the things I "can't" eat.....I dont miss them. Theres plenty of other options. :)

Befor banding..I never thought I wouldnt want to eat a huge bowl of pasta.....now I never crave it....I crave the good things...and I loved candy before....now if i really want choc...i grab a SF pudding cup and im good......

Good Luck..think positive !

The only thing off limits after being banded is carbonation. Anything else you can have in moderation, just be sure to always count them in your daily calories.

I believe very much in moderation not deprivation. If I want a piece a pizza or a cookie, I have it. I just don't have it daily (or even monthly), I moderate my portion, and I make sure it can fit into my daily calories.

I can eat anything I want. What I want now is very different from what I use to want. I, like Dee, use to think I could never live without certain foods, but I can & do. I do treat myself to things every now & then, but a small amount (bit or two) is all I need.

There is a lot of adjusting in the head with any wls. You will change your eating for the better and it will make you healthier.

Good luck to you.

This thread is exactly what I needed to read right now, I'm 5 days post op and sick of artificial flavours of Protein Shakes etc... not that I'm hungry but I'm craving real food tastes. I failed at every diet because I deprived myself of real foods, so I'm really hoping I can have a taste of birthday cake or a cookie now &then.

I am very glad to hear that the change comes slowly. I am only 2 months out and still I need head adjusting. I forget Im banded sometimes and eat too fast or too much. I try new things everyday. Today I just made sure I cut things into very small pieces and ate one at a time. I hope this gets better. I want this so bad but to be honest I am scared right now. Good post.

The only thing off limits after being banded is carbonation. Anything else you can have in moderation, just be sure to always count them in your daily calories.

Actually not every doctor has issues with carbonation. Many doctors in Great Britain and Australia have no issues with drinking carbonation as long as it has zero calories. My doctor told me not to worry about cutting out carbonated drinks (even when I asked him over and over again since everyone on here seemed to be told otherwise)

That being said, i have practically stopped drinking soda altogether (only on rare occasions do I drink it) because it's just not healthy especially because its loaded with artificial sweeteners/chemicals

Nothing's off limits in moderation. However, we all have our list of foods we can't tolerate. Usually the list is small. But I want to reassure you, the craving for these foods quickly disappear because it's not worth the uncomfortable experience of becoming stuck. Sounds unimaginable, but it's true.

But I would caution you...try to stick to your rules and limited menu for as long as possible. Try to lose as much weight as possible before trying to sneak in all the goodies. Learn your body w/ the band before 'testing' it too much. Know what your ideal caloric range is for optimal loss than try to incorporate favorite foods with full comprehension of how many calories it is and how it can be fitted into the daily intake without being a complete splurge. Also, don't be disappointed if a favorite food becomes a undesirable. It's actually a wonderful experience to be freed from foods that didn't serve you well in the first place (ie Pasta for me...use to eat it all the time and now it's a no-no food AND I don't miss it).

Hope this helps

I can eat ANYTHING now in moderation except rice or apple skins. They don't get stuck... they just feel strange gong down so I avoid them... and I don't drink carbonated beverages.

While I was losing I still "dieted" I ate healthy but less food. I followed the menu plan given to me by my clinic. I still ate carbs and had no issues... and I can honestly say I never really felt hungry.

Some people go into the journey saying "I'll never be able to eat this or that ever again" and they have never even tried to eat certain foods... in my opinion if you start off that way you are setting yourself up for failure. The lapband is a tool for life. You should be able to go through life and eat a variety of the foods you enjoy but in moderation.

I still go out to eat... I can now enjoy pizza but 1 or 2 slices not an entire medium pizza by myself like I did pre-band.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 156 lbs

Thank you everyone! Great advice. I am relieved to say the least.