Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gained all the weight back! Anyone have advice or support?!?

Hey All,

I am coming up on my 2 year bandiversary on the 20th and I have gained all the weight back that I had lost. I was pre-surgery 260lbs, got down to 205lbs and have now gained all the weight back. I was exercising daily, watching what I was eating and the weight easily came off. All the weight has jumped back on over the last 5 months. My mother in law passed away and we moved across country. So stress was a big part of my life and my motivation to exercise and diligence to my food intake dropped off the radar.

Now I am right back where I started and am so discouraged. I feel like I have failed.

Anyone else out there have this happen and overcame it? If so what did you do to get back on the wagon?

Thank you!

I didn't gain all of my weight back, but I did put some of it back on. I've been banded 2 years 8 months and basically restarted last August. I am down a little more than 20 lbs. since I recommitted. You just need to start. Doesn't matter where you are, you just need to be ready to work hard. Go back to the basics. Protein, protein, protein.

Water. Write it all down. I'm not saying its been easy, but I sure feel better than I did last summer!

Ready?

It's never too late to start over, that's part of the beauty of the band.

I'm guessing it's been awhile since you've seen your surgeon or been filled, so the very first thing I'd do is make an appointment with your surgeon. Get your band checked and decide with him whether or not you may need a fill.

I would also make an appointment with your nutritionist. They are a very valuable resource and will be very helpful getting you back on track.

I would also start tracking your calories, it's the only way you can know for sure you're not accidentally eating too much. I would also start measuring your food portions so don't go over 1 cup per meal.

It's going to take some work to get back on track but you can totally do this. Best wishes.

Missy said it best... I agree. It's never too late to recommit. How bad do you want it?

I realised that my attention to detail (food intake in particular) had slipped and suddenly I had regained almost three kilograms.

I recommitted to accurately recording my food and have almost relost those three kilograms. I hadn't slipped on the exercise side so that was in my favour.

But I have learned that this is truly a lifelong journey - I "knew" it but now I have learned it. I shall have to be vigilant for the rest of my life because I do not want to go back to where I was almost two years ago.

You can restart and relose that weight. Set small, achievable goals and recognise your achievements as you meet each one.

Best of luck.

I have made a deal with myself...if I gain 5 lbs I go super strict for a few weeks like I did for 22 months to lose the weight. Had I done this my whole life I would have been in a better place than under a knife.

Dear DM4077, I have been through this I worked my butt off over the past year not using my band I didnt follow rules but instead counted calories religiously. I lost 75 pounds got down to 207 and within 7 months gained it all back I too feel your pain. Its really hard to go through losing it and people noticing and congratulating you and feeling good and wearing smaller clothes and health issues resolve the list goes on..... the mental breakdown of it I have to say is the hardest jyst feeling like you failed ive been there for 8 months straight. When I finally decided to actually use my band I found out it slipped and so I was offered a new revision called the iband which the lap band with plication. I love the plication honestly. And my band was placed where it needed to be and they folded the lower part of my stomach and sutured it. Like I said I understand but I have so many health issues I needed to love myself enough to say im human I went through a rough patch and ended up at square one but you know what I have all the knowledge of what not to do and the knowledge now to be successful and I hope you can see that way too :) good luck you can do it!!!!!!!! Just take it one day at a time! Best of luck :)

Hey All,

I am coming up on my 2 year bandiversary on the 20th and I have gained all the weight back that I had lost. I was pre-surgery 260lbs, got down to 205lbs and have now gained all the weight back. I was exercising daily, watching what I was eating and the weight easily came off. All the weight has jumped back on over the last 5 months. My mother in law passed away and we moved across country. So stress was a big part of my life and my motivation to exercise and diligence to my food intake dropped off the radar.

Now I am right back where I started and am so discouraged. I feel like I have failed.

Anyone else out there have this happen and overcame it? If so what did you do to get back on the wagon?

Thank you!

No offense, but your post could have been taken right off a Weight Watcher's website....

You say nothing about the band, and whether it made any difference or was it mostly on your self discipline dieting techniques, following the standard dieting rules....

People fail at diets everyday, sooner or later they fall back into the old habits and gain the weight back.....I know, I've done it 100's of times....

So, how did the Band fail you??? Did the band ever work? Did you ever feel you had adequate restriction from a series of fills? (adjustments)

I ask this because I am always interested in hearing other peoples stories when they say they have gained the weight back....always trying to determine if it was the band or the patient.....

I know I am at a good place with the band....so I really do want to hear what can possibly go wrong....a medical situation I can understand, those are not unusual, where the patient needed to get a complete unfil, etc...and never quite get back on track....

Hello all, Let me just say, regaining the weight is very easy. When I was banded in 2010, I thought this was the cure all to weight loss. Bottom line, behavioral modification is the key.

Prior to banding I was 270, I went down to 215. I was hospitalized periodically during the months of September 2012 through November for an Achilles tendon rupture. My weight is now fluctuating; 220-235; I gained weight! I am terrified to go to my physician because of my weight gain. He is aware that I was on strict bed rest, he explained, I could still do exercises while sitting up. He threatened to remove my band if I am not compliant.

My fear is that my weight has been 215 for months prior to surgery. I have been drinking a lot of juice that is loaded with calories, I eat on the average per day of two cups of starchy food items, one palm size meat item, two cups of vegetables, and the rest is juice and coffee with cream and sugar. These food items are divided through the day. I am definitely not hungry.

In all reality, I still should have lost weight! I last saw him in August, I was 215.

Prior to surgery, I was doing spin aerobic three times a week. Now that I am on my feet and can walk, I walk 2-3 miles three times per week—the scale has not moved.

What the heck do I do??? I need to get back on track. I am feeling like I went under the knife for what?

Hello all, Let me just say, regaining the weight is very easy. When I was banded in 2010, I thought this was the cure all to weight loss. Bottom line, behavioral modification is the key.

Prior to banding I was 270, I went down to 215. I was hospitalized periodically during the months of September 2012 through November for an Achilles tendon rupture. My weight is now fluctuating; 220-235; I gained weight! I am terrified to go to my physician because of my weight gain. He is aware that I was on strict bed rest, he explained, I could still do exercises while sitting up. He threatened to remove my band if I am not compliant.

My fear is that my weight has been 215 for months prior to surgery. I have been drinking a lot of juice that is loaded with calories, I eat on the average per day of two cups of starchy food items, one palm size meat item, two cups of vegetables, and the rest is juice and coffee with cream and sugar. These food items are divided through the day. I am definitely not hungry.

In all reality, I still should have lost weight! I last saw him in August, I was 215.

Prior to surgery, I was doing spin aerobic three times a week. Now that I am on my feet and can walk, I walk 2-3 miles three times per week—the scale has not moved.

What the heck do I do??? I need to get back on track. I am feeling like I went under the knife for what?

You can lose weight even while unable to exercise, but you have to be rather strict with yourself to do it.

As you said yourself- juice is loaded with calories (and sugar). If you want to get back on track you're really going to need to track your calories to be sure you're accidentally eating too much or too little. That includes everything you drink, too.

Weight loss comes down to simple math: If you burn more calories than you consume you will lose weight.

Best wishes.

Your doc cant "take your band out" without your permission. I dont think anyone is without fault at times. We all fall down, and what is important is that we admit our mistakes and get back on track. Dont be afraid of your doc- you pay HIM sweetheart! If he doesnt want your money, find someone that does!

I wish you the absolute best of luck! You can do this and you are worth it! I am newly banded, but my advice is to remember the reasons you got the band- and that person you wanted to run ar away from. <3

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

Oh I badly need help I am going for a fill tomorrow this will be 7.5 ml. I have lost no weight in 14 months nobody knows what is gong on with me. I m ong everything right has anybody any advice pleaseeeeeeee. Xxx

Oh I badly need help I am going for a fill tomorrow this will be 7.5 ml. I have lost no weight in 14 months nobody knows what is gong on with me. I m ong everything right has anybody any advice pleaseeeeeeee. Xxx

You might be making the mistake as I was doing; drinking your calories. Sometimes we are aware as to what we are doing but still fall into the trap. In 14 months no weight loss, something is wrong.

After looking at a photo of myself :( , I woke up real fast. I did not like what I saw. These post are very helpful as well as encouraging. I am out of double heel surgery since September. I have been able to walk without the aid of a crutch since February. I have now made a conscious decision to put major restrictions on my juice intake. I will also walk at least 20 blocks or 30 minutes exercise daily. I'm slow it it, but again the photo i saw of myself i never want to see again.

Your doc cant "take your band out" without your permission. I dont think anyone is without fault at times. We all fall down, and what is important is that we admit our mistakes and get back on track. Dont be afraid of your doc- you pay HIM sweetheart! If he doesnt want your money, find someone that does!

I wish you the absolute best of luck! You can do this and you are worth it! I am newly banded, but my advice is to remember the reasons you got the band- and that person you wanted to run ar away from. <3

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

Thanks. And it's not like i have to stay with this doctor. If he see's weight gain, it he is annoyed. I told him the lap-band is not the magic cure all to weight loss.

Thanks again.