Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Substitute for Pizza? Mac and Cheese?

What ideas can anyone share in regards to replacing my two favorite meals: pizza and Mac/Cheese? What items do you substitute but still feel satisfied?

Actually I still eat both in moderation:) no need to replace the simple pleasures in life......

My nutritionist has said that pizza is okay. The Papa Murphy's delite pizzas are fantastic. You just don't get half a pizza. 2-3 small squares are all I need. Regarding M&C, Eat in small moderations. I have a spoonful or 2 when I make for my kids. All I need.

Large portobello mushroom caps roasted and filled with marinara and what ever you like on a pizza. Then bake it. Do not have the mac n cheese, but was happy to have the pizza lol. I can not handle this , but I seen a recipe that used a cooked chicken breast and topped with marinara and pizza fixings of your choice then re baked to melt cheese etc. It looked great and would satisfy if you can handle the chicken too. I myself would like a juicy mushroom cap. I like to get my recipe's from all recipes. com and then I alter them to fit my needs. I heard of the mushroom caps many of times. I just decided that I am going to try it, but it looks amazing. Let me know if you get mac n cheese. When you want that one you may need to make it more moist with just a few bites. I did find if you love ( I'm Italian) spagetti that by using spag squash for the noodle helps and I promise you will never know you have no noodles. My husband hates squash and he had it once and told me about it. I tried it and WOW it was amazing. Good luck.

Diana

I think that if your band can tolerate the food texture, you don't need to rule them out, just eat in moderation and count the calories. Some ideas also are to try making your own versions at home with healthy ingredients. Just off the top of my head, I would try my favorite pizza dough recipe (quick, no knead and makes a nice, thin crust) with whole wheat flour for extra Fiber and Protein. Top with cooked Italian turkey sausage and fat free cheese and veggies to make it satisfying, up the Protein, and keep the calories down.

Same with Mac and cheese. Substitute whole wheat, high Fiber Pasta and fat free cheeses. And cottage cheese for higher protein and eat a small amount as a part of a lean protein (fish or chicken) meal. One of the reasons I got the band was to not have to completely eliminate any foods. Just be sure to get your protein first, use moderation (band rules!), and count all the calories.

For a treat I make pita pizza one small pita loaded with roasted veggies, marinara sauce and I add cheese and some Protein. It’s not the highest Protein meal so I don’t have it all the time but when the craving hits it helps. I do make cauliflower and broccoli bake with a cheese sauce baked in the oven occasionally too - that may help with the mac and cheese? I found my taste buds have changed now and I tend to crave other foods now…

Good luck!

Mac and cheese should be be a treat, only very occasionally. A lot of carbs and fats.

Please tell me you are on pinterst.com!! There are all kinds of recipees for things like pizza (with a cauliflour crust, or pizza Soup, or pizzas on large veggies) and also lots of recipes for healthy mac n cheese (like with quinoa or tofu Shirataki noodles).

I've discovered stuffed red peppers. Low fat hamburger, brown rice, italian seasonings, diced tomatoes, parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes, onions, garlic. Roasted for 40 minutes and then serve with one of your favorite marinaras sprinkled with a little more parmesan cheese.< /p>

Everything but the flour crust. About 300-400 calories and the marinara helps to keep it from getting stuck.

tmf

When given the options at a pizza place, I opt for the thin and crispy crust and I ask that it be sliced into squares so the portion sizes include more of the topping and less crust, two squares are just the right size vs the pie shaped slices. That's my pizza tricks, I'm certain you will get many great ideas from the others on the site. Good luck!

I count calories...those foods have calories...so I eat a small amount and track it. Just remember when I say small... I mean small. For example 1/4 c of Mac and cheese suits is all I allow myself

I agree with Floridays and I now make my own pizza with Arnold's Flat Round multigrain or whole wheat bread. Toast one half slice and put what you want on it and bake for 16 minutes at 350 degrees. They are great!

I eat just the toppings off the pizza plus a little bit of the crunchy part of the crust. I don't like to be deprived and I agree with all the other posters. Eat what you love, just eat a moderate amount and keep track of the calories.

I just do the cauliflower thing. I have receipts that sub out pizza crust for cauliflower, and recipes to sub out and make Mac and cheese into cauliflower and cheese healthy.

Also I do indulge occasionally. Hard because I work at pizza Hut. Sometimes ill let myself have a thin crust pizza. I usually can't finish it all (including leftovers) before it goes bad. And I can only eat a slice of it at a time, if that.. And I have to chew tons because I get stuck super easy now. Literally if I eat, and take even a sip of Water I throw up. So I have to be careful.

But to make a long story short, try cauliflower as a substitute. It's guilt free, tastes great, and it's usually easy on the band.