Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PB, Stuck and Throwing Up!

Hello All,

my surgery date was 1/22 and 28 lbs down so far with no fill needed yet. band seems to be working, but on saturday for lunch i had rottiserie chicken from the supermarket with cucmber/tomato salad. all seemed fine until i ate dry chicken and i threw up. Then for dinner i had pork which i didnt think was dry at all since i was cautious for the afternoon episode and again i threw up. Sunday i was fine and today i had meatball with a salad and stuck throw up. i think the meatball was dry.

im not sure how many CC's i have. i have a 10Cc band and doc said he fills it on the day of surgery and some leeks out sop until i get a fill i wont know for sure. ive never had the stuck feeling up until now.

any thoughts?

Smaller bites and chew better. You may still be irritated from the first "stuck" episode. Give it a chance to settle down a day or so with liquids and see if it gets better. As long as you are able to get plenty of fluids in, I wouldn't worry too much about it. You're still pretty early on in the process. As always, consulting with your doc is a good idea.

You are not taking small bites, chewing enough and taking enough time between bites, imo.

Once you have a stuck episode your band area can swell causing the opening to shrink and make it difficult to pass food through it. You might need to go to liquids or Soups for a few days to let the inflammation die down?

Other ways your stoma(band opening) may be smaller is TOM, meds, too much sodium, stress and illness. This makes the opening smaller which makes it easier to get stuck.

Do not make yourself throw up or you could cause your band to slip.

And how many CCs in your band doesn't matter since each of us have different anatomies.

tmf

So, I just had this same problem. Never really stuck before. Had a fill last friday. and every solid stuck on me and I threw up. I called my doctor and they said to come right in for an unfill. Only problem is I Work and could not make it in. So doc asked me about bite size. I said it was same as it's been all along. Unfortunately same wasn't right. LOL. My bite size was way too large. So doctor suggested this- go back on liquids for two days. Nothing but liquids. Than two days soft mushy food. During that time any sweeling should go down. Than try solids again, but really concentrate on bite size and chewing. I went back on solids yesterday and everything feels fine and is going down smooth.

On a side note- for me- dark meat chicken and PB and J 's are pretty much a definite stuck for me. As well as spaghetti. They all seem to give me problems every time.

Good luck with everything.

DRaven:

"Unfortunately same wasn't right. LOL"

DOH! :blink:

Good post!

What does Pb mean?

The remarks on the swelling once you throw up are so true. If it is mild and once you seem to be fine, but a 2nd time and more forget about it. You must eat broth like Soup, or something real easy on you for a day or two to get the swelling down. I use to think I was having issues for days and learned that those episodes cause swelling that if ignored do not get better. Think of it as healing up a couple days and start over. I have made the mistake of trying to eat over and over again because I know I need to eat. By doing this I got to a point where Water would not stay down, my saliva over a period of time would cause me to throw up, and I have even thrown up old blood. Take it from the old timers......chew, put down your fork between meals, make sure the meat is never dry, do not drink with your food every, and when you do (and you will sometimes) throw up......... eat a mild soup for dinner the next night to allow healing. Good luck

Diana

What does Pb mean?

I believe the pb in the subject line they were talking about a productive burp and the pb and j they were talking about Peanut Butter

PB=Productive Burp: The act of regurgitating food backed up into our esophogus. Just short of a full blown vomit/throwing up attack. Much more gentle to the pouch but still not a recommended act to do often.

tmf

OOOOO i was thinkinng push back or someting but that would just mean vomitting. but productiive burp makes more sense!

It's sad, but I jumped to Peanut Butter right away. Lmao. No wonder I needed banding. Lol.

I believe the pb in the subject line they were talking about a productive burp and the pb and j they were talking about Peanut Butter

Rofl I jumped to the PB&J thing right above that question. Either way yes,

Lol it took me a little while to figure out what PB was as well