Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band vs. the Sleeve

I realize this is a lap Band forum, but I was curious as to how you were able to make your decision to have the lap band done and not the vertical sleeve. I have been researching things for a year and I still can't decide. I am young (24) and would still like to have kids, but I can not see any more pros or cons for either. I would LOVE your advice/opinions. I chickened out and got cold feet last April because I couldn't decide and now I have an appointment on the 29th and I find myself in the same situation. Please help!!

I chose the band because I did not want my stomach damaged in any way and I wanted the option to have it removed if for any reason it is needed.

For me, the choice was easy. The Band is reversible, far less drastic, and less complications. I just couldn't justify hacking out 3/4 of my stomach. If something goes wrong with the band, you can always get it removed. If something goes wrong with the Sleeve, you're out of luck because you can never get your stomach back.

Plus I didn't want to deal with dumping, malabsorbtion, and nutrient deficiencies.

Getting the band is by far the best decision I've ever made. I can still eat anything I want without vomiting (in moderation, of course), I'm very healthy, and I've lost almost 200 pounds in 14 months. I couldn't be happier.

Best wishes!

For me, the choice was easy. The Band is reversible, far less drastic, and less complications. I just couldn't justify hacking out 3/4 of my stomach. If something goes wrong with the band, you can always get it removed. If something goes wrong with the Sleeve, you're out of luck because you can never get your stomach back.

Plus I didn't want to deal with dumping, malabsorbtion, and nutrient deficiencies.

Getting the band is by far the best decision I've ever made. I can still eat anything I want without vomiting (in moderation, of course), I'm very healthy, and I've lost almost 200 pounds in 14 months. I couldn't be happier.

Best wishes!

What she said. Plus I didn't want to give up ice cream forever. LOL

Thank you so much for your input! The sleeve is definitely more invasive, but from what I've researched; people seem to keep the weight off more. Have any of you had the band for more than 2 years? Again, from what I've researched, after 2 years people start to "fall off the bandwagon" and gain weight back. Is this because people start to feel comfortable with the band? Has the technology gotten better?

Thank you so much for your input! The sleeve is definitely more invasive' date=' but from what I've researched; people seem to keep the weight off more. Have any of you had the band for more than 2 years? Again, from what I've researched, after 2 years people start to "fall off the bandwagon" and gain weight back. Is this because people start to feel comfortable with the band? Has the technology gotten better?[/quote']

Actually that's not true either. In fact studies prove weight stays off long term with the band and long term weight loss is comparable to other WLS.

Here is the study:

http://www.futurity.org/health-medicine/weight-stays-off-long-after-lap-band-surgery/

Thank you so much for your input! The sleeve is definitely more invasive, but from what I've researched; people seem to keep the weight off more. Have any of you had the band for more than 2 years? Again, from what I've researched, after 2 years people start to "fall off the bandwagon" and gain weight back. Is this because people start to feel comfortable with the band? Has the technology gotten better?

My surgeon suggest the lap band for exactly the opposite reason, it has a better history of long term weight lose than GB, and since the sleeve was relatively new the stats weren't in yet

First off, congratulations on really weighing your options! Here are some of the pros and cons of each. Both surgeries are done in the less invasive laparoscopic procedure. In both surgeries there is cutting of tissue. One implants a device, which can fail. In VSG, the fundus of the stomach is removed.

Lap Band cons: long term complications are becoming more and more frequent, and per their own website for professionals, http://www.lapband.com/hcp/en/risk_information/

25% of bands needed to be removed.

More and more, motility disorders, auto-immune disorders and nerve damage are occurring. This is information that you won't find in a study, but all over other WLS sites and on FB pages dedicated to assisting and supporting Lapband pts with complications.

VSG: true, the immediate post-op period is a bit riskier than with Lapband, but the re operation rate is so much less. The biggest risk is a leak on the staple line (1%).

The recovery from VSG is longer. Bear in mind that most of the 25% of band pts who have their band removed, revise to VSG. Why not just get the VSG in the first place?

There are some who will tell you that if you follow all the "rules" you won't have complications. It's simply not true, you can do everything right and still fail. There are too many variables with banding. Things like surgical skill, individual anatomy, post op diet protocol, pt compliance, and the skill with which fills are given are all factors all factor into how you'll do. You only control ONE aspect of your experience...compliance.

Resources:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FailedBands/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/548645781829528/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ResearchingLapBand/

Thanks for the study!! I guess I am just so nervous about gaining the weight back. I found out I have Hoshimotos (autoimmune disorder that attacks the thyroid) gained 93lbs in a year and have been trying to loose it ever since. I was able to loose 30, but I ended up gaining it all back after my grandmother died last year because of helping my mom with all of the stress/stuff that comes with that... What would you say is key after getting banded to keep the weight off? I'm not a huge fan of support groups (no reason, just not). Obviously the exercise and diet is a huge factor, but anything else? Maybe some good questions I should ask the surgeon when I see him? I am a teacher so I'd like to have the surgery over the summer when I'll know I'll have plenty of time off.

keeping track of how much I eat is the key to my success, and exercising too. But If I had to pick the #1 thing it would be tracking my intake. I weigh and measure everything and pretty much keep to my portions for Breakfast, lunch and dinner.< /p>

keeping track of how much I eat is the key to my success' date=' and exercising too. But If I had to pick the #1 thing it would be tracking my intake. I weigh and measure everything and pretty much keep to my portions for Breakfast, lunch and dinner.[/quote']

I agree, I would say the exact same thing is why I've been successful. Tracking what I eat and measuring my portions.

I agree with Missy and Holly, tracking what I'm eating is the biggest factor in my weight loss after being banded.

You can also find out about lap band with plication. People are doing real well with it and have much fewer slippages.

I just went through the same thing trying to make a decision between the two. I was set on a lap band when I went to the doctor for my first visit in October but he immediately tried to talk me out of it and has done so every visit since. He also talked to me about band with plication. I've been thinking about lap band for 3 years and researching it. I do know a few people who have had both done and my sleeve friend tried to also talk me out of the band. In the end I decided to stick to my original decision because it is what is best for me and what I can mentally deal with. I will do everything that I need to do to make it work and go from there. Scheduled to be banded on March 29th. It is a personal decision that after research you have to make on your own!

Thank you so much for all your advice!! Believe it or not, it does actually help. This is the biggest decision I think I will ever have to make besides deciding about being a parent so I want to make sure I make the right one for me and my family. I have only just read about plication. I will need to go read more though since I'm not as familiar.