Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 days postop...only 2lbs down??!

Today is my 6 day post op. i was 213 the day of my surgery march 1st and when i weighed myself this morning i only lost 2lbs! I am 211 now. I thought i would've dropped at least 2 more lbs! Is this normal? I feel really upset. I am consuming a lot of liquids but i dont like Protein Shakes so i been drinking , Water, coffee, green tea, crystal light, n diet snapple and some skim milk for Protein. I mainly drink water. Y only 2lbs??! :(. Did this ever happen to anyone else?

The first 6 weeks after surgery are for healing not losing. Your body has been tramatized and you are pretty much starving it, so it is not going to let go of anything and will hold onto everything you put in it. You probably are not eating enough and although my clinic wasn't concerned with the Protein intake while I was in liquids, it is something you have to keep in mind to try to get some of. Try putting cottage cheese in your Soups and blending it in the blender, if you had a Protein Drink pre op, go back to that, get some greek yoguart in you, that is high in protein. It will happen.........be patient and take care of yourself.

I lost 3 pounds my first week. I was dissapointed too. Then I was told they put saline in your IV during surgery. Takes a while for the extra Water weight to leave the body. You should see more during the next couple weeks. On another note, I would try some other Protein Shakes and see if you can't find one you tolerate. It's really important to get that Protein in. I drink EAS carb control. They come premixed in different flavors. I like the chocolate and vanilla. I but them at Walmart- 4 dollars and something for a 4 pack.

Relax! It'll come off. Just rest now. Or start walking more. At 6 days post op, I was on the treadmill walking. But do yourself a favor and don't worry about the weight loss the next few weeks. Follow your rules, and it'll come off. Don't worry.

Actually not too bad. I lost 8 pounds pre op and gained it all back because of the IV so it took me a few days to get rid of that and start losing the weight. Today I am 2 weeks post op and have lost 20 pounds. You might want to talk to your dietitian about your Protein intake too. Good luck and it will come off.

Karen your expectations are a bit high. First month is generally all about healing and not weight loss. It seems that a lot of people seem to think because they just got out of surgery days ago weight is going to fall off. I went through a period of that. I didn't lose much weight at all the first month and when the weight loss did kick in it was slow and gradual.

Please take a look at this thread I think you will find it helpful. Patience is a huge key in being successful. As the old expression says "Rome was not built in a day".

http://www.lapbandta...d/#entry1956331

I am day 6 post op also and have decided not to even torture myself with the scale. I feel like I have so much weight to lose that I am going to know when the results are coming in. Thus far I have only had Water and hot tea, my physician did not talk to me about Protein intake so I am not stressing on that. Tomorrow I go to full liquids for 2 full weeks and will introduce real food the weekend of Easter which should be a good test :-)

Thanks to everyone for your support. I just feel like jeez i am only on liquids that I should have dropped more than 2lbs. does everyone have to be on a 2 wk liquid diet after the surgery? My Dr. told me when I go to my post opt appt maybe he will start me on mushy food.< /p>