Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gardening Questions and Pictures

Hey guys, lets see some of your beautiful flowers, plants and gardens.

I have a question...

here is a picture of a maiden hair fern (sp?) that was Mom's. I wanna transplant it to the pot on the left - but hopefully you can see WHY Im having a hard time figuring out HOW to keep the root system in tact for the re-potting. Its kinda all over the pot - and little green happening. Any suggestions?

post-204070-13813133168804_thumb.jpg

Here is my absolute most favorite thing to look at in my yard. I love its color.

Just wish it wouldnt have that big opening in the middle.

post-204070-13813133169066_thumb.jpg

Oh how pretty thoes blue little flowers are. I wish so much that I had a yard to plant flowers.. I love Calla Lililes.. well any kind of Lililes really. I dont have much of a green thumb so I would probably kill everything I grew. lol

Oh I love flowers.. That is a really nice shade of Blue.. On the other question - I have no green thumb. I am waiting on my Rose bushes to come back to life at this time. My fruit Trees are putting out Blossoms (Blossom :()

I will have to take a pic of them..

Hi Paula-

Maidens are tricky. I would just dig out half your fern (the part w/ green) and put in the other pot. Don't bother trying to save roots that are just taking up room. Sometimes a maiden hair will come back if you leach it a lot (slow drip hose for at least half an hour). They are sensitive to salts in the soil and Water. They also (like all ferns) like coffee a lot. I save the grounds for my wormbed, but I always make extra coffee and pour it into the ferns & hydrangeas.

I'll take some pics of my yard tomorrow if I can figure out this camera. I've been meaning to start a blog about the seasons of my garden for fun, and for when I sell my house a few years from now. I want to be able to sell to a gardener.

This is my Hibiscus- it get's bigger every year.

Can't get the picture smaller- what can I do? Moderator- Help :help: Please!

post-205842-13813133173123_thumb.jpg

Oooh, we're having a landscape designer come this weekend, so maybe I can add some pics soon. :(

I plan to start my planting this weekend. So far all I have is some potato vine (love it in hanging baskets) and two white mandevilla to go in this fountain/2 trellis combo thing I have. Some nursery shopping is in order!

Last year I had thunbergia alata (clockwork vine, Spanish eyes, etc.) planted in the same trellis areas. It was one of the most vividly colored flowers I've ever seen.

Every spring makes me really miss living in California, where we had wisteria and jasmine so large they completely covered the slats covering our deck and made a beautiful, wonderfully scented roof.

*sigh* :(

Hi everyone!

awe, Im so happy someone else is interested in gardening. Trish, as much as I love flowers, Im not very good with them. The blue one has only lived here about a month. Well see what another month does to it. (LOL)

Sometimes a maiden hair will come back if you leach it a lot (slow drip hose for at least half an hour). They are sensitive to salts in the soil and Water. They also (like all ferns) like coffee a lot. I save the grounds for my wormbed, but I always make extra coffee and pour it into the ferns & hydrangeas.

Kare, Im impressed.

Do tell. Do you pour liquid coffee in the fern's pot?? or just the grindes?

ooohh, I love this idea. Thanks

Cant wait to see other pictures everyone!

Carola!

Holy cow - those hibiscus flowers are B E A U T I F U L!!!! What do you use? Miracle grow??

Carola!

Holy cow - those hibiscus flowers are B E A U T I F U L!!!! What do you use? Miracle grow??

Thanks a lot for your compliment- they are large flowers- but for that I'm sad to say they only last for 1 day. But last year it carried over 400 blossoms and was in bloom for over 6 weeks.

Have sofar only used sunshine and water- but I think this year I will have to give it a little help as it gets bigger and bigger.

Would you like to have some seeds from last year?

love this thread i love gardening now we can put up our tip's and problem's even though i'm down under i'll just make note's for the next season, here's one girl's what is a gardinia lacking when the leave's fall off and it hardly flower's?:help:

Okay Paula, following are pics of my front garden. I'll take pics of the back another day.

A few things of interest...

The front side area (right) is a raised bed I created with chunks of concrete collected from someone tearing out their driveway. I made what is called a "lasagna garden" right on top of the existing grass. (This is where you layer newspaper, grass clippings, homemade mulch etc to about 18") The lasagna garden area is incredibly fertile.

All the larkspur, nasturtium & hollyhocks have sown themselves from previous years. I always leave a half-dozen or so stalks to dry and spread their seed.

Can you see the white rod Iron chair? I have a set of 4 from an old patio set that I took the cushions out of and use them to support flowers and sometimes Tomato plants. One year I placed them and planted 5 foot sunflowers to grow up in the middle of each one and it looked like they were having tea.

I took a close up pic of the front walk just to show you how densely I plant. This is the absolute best way to keep out weeds. I plant the things I want to grow in such abundance there isn't much chance for the others to propagate. That being said, I do get SOME weeds and have learned to stay on top of them early in the spring.

post-204312-13813133403499_thumb.jpg

post-205630-13813133403679_thumb.png

post-204673-13813133176018_thumb.jpg

post-204673-13813133176207_thumb.jpg

:clap2: Ooooh! DevilMayKare! Your yard is beautiful! I wish I lived next door to you instead of the retired rancher who downsized to 2 acres and who has an anxiety disorder so he constantly uses his tractor to bulldoze earth around and cut down trees. His quote about a 3 foot diameter oak tree I was begging him not to cut down (borders the property line), "It's just a little ol' black-jack!":mad: Little my ass (oops, probably shouldn't say that---pardon the pun)!!!!! The tree is one of the largest in the yard! I won that fight though, sort of, I came home to my pine trees (which are exactly on the property line) which were planted in 1980 having his side pruned up to 6 feet. I love them as a screening to the houses across the street. He also did me the "favor" (again his word) of cutting down a cedar tree unmistakably on MY side of the property line. I realized that he for some unknown reason doesn't like green living plant matter. Maybe his Momma beat him with green switches or tied him to trees as a young kid. :devious

Your gardens are gorgeous!! How did you hear about the lasgna garden? I am going to google that. I want to start a new bed where we have lawn now and that seems easier than trying to did it up! I love hollyhocks! That chair idea is brilliant and adorable. You should market that somehow! Very creative.........