Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating in the evening...

I was banded on 11-05-12 and am down 33 lbs. I only have 1.5 cc of fill in my band. I do fine all day long at work but once I get home from work I seem to transform back into my "old habits". I certainly cannot each like I used to and I am maintaining my weight because of my daily exercise routine.

I really feel that the issue is more about controlling my behavior in the evening hours before I go to bed. Perhaps if I have more fill in my band that might help?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

You do sou8nd like you need a fill, call your surgeon for an appointment!

A lot of times when I feel like eating in the evening I will have a hot cup of tea. Another thing I had a lot of when I was first starting out was a CarbMaster yogurt from Ralphs/Krogers grocery. I like them because they are only 60 calories and 8 grams of Protein. I also like sugarfree puddings.< /p>

Michelle May is a great resource for folks who eat when they may not be hungry. I like this quote from Dr May and it fits most of us who find it hard to differentiate between being really hungry or just wanting to eat for reasons like boredom, stress or just because we love the taste and feeling of food in our mouths.

"When a craving doesn't come from hunger, eating will never satisfy it."

It's taken me over a year to be able to tell the difference between the two and it's still a struggle. I often find myself in the kitchen with a handful of nuts chewing away, and not because I'm hungry, because I'm not. Just because I like that feeling of food and the taste.

So, I've been able to keep nutritious and low calorie foods readily available in case I have one of these mindless events. Two years ago I would have slapped 2-4 tortillas in the microwave filled with cheese and consume them in 10 minutes. Not anymore.

tmf

When I read your post, it was like I had written it! I was band on 11/8 and down 35 lbs and am having the same issues. It seems like at night the old habits come creeping back. I am working hard on finding things to replace food, I knit, weave and am desperately trying to motivate myself to exercising. I'm actually starting a kickboxing class tonight! I know I am eating from boredom and not from hunger.

Stay focused and good luck

I also seem to do ok during the day then at dinner when I am with my family I have no problem eating what I feel like is a lot for having 5 cc in my band. I have lost only about 21 lbs since my surgery 11/26/13. Any opinions are welcome.

Bonman77 - What's even stranger is after reading your profile... You are I are almost the same age and our height and weight (at time of banding is the same)!! I am 57 and I also knit and this weekend picked up some new yarn thinking that might help me.

I do exercise regularly walk, elliptical and swim and that is how I am maintaining my weight but like I said I would like to lose at least 30 more pounds.

I am going to keep working at it and try taking one day at a time!

This is a really common issue regardless of whether or not you have adequate Fluid in your band yet. It's like we've all heard, the band goes around your stomach not your brain. It's great for controlling physical hunger but battling head hunger (old behavior) is never easy.

I too am a big time night eater. Before I got my band, I swear I grazed pretty much constantly from dinner until bedtime. In fact, I'd be willing to bet the majority of my calories were eaten after 6pm most days. Unfortunately, getting banded didn't just magically cure that behavior. It's taken a lot of work.

As if it's not hard enough to battle bad behaviors from your past, I've also discovered over the last year that my metabolism simply won't allow me to eat after dinner and still lose weight. It doesn't matter if I've only had 500 calories during the day, if I eat after 7pm my weight loss will stall out. So, needless to say this realization has made it even more crucial for me to control my night time eating.

Like others, I distract myself. I tend to do a lot of house cleaning at night as well as play online games. I have a routine of taking a long bath and brushing my teeth every night and this has become my brain's signal "oh, it's bath and clean teeth time, we're done eating today". I know it sounds weird but it work for me.

It's a work in progress. Hopefully you'll find what works for you too.

Best wishes!

Thank You Missy for your feedback. I do agree that filling up my band to the fullest is not going to solve my problem. I know that my issue is a behavior that I have to work at and change. Some days are better for me than others.

I have to go back to the original seminar that I attended on the Lap Band and that it is just a tool to assist us with our weight loss and maintenance.

I am not much on taking baths but I like the brushing the teeth idea. I am going to brainstorm some other ideas that might work as well.

Thanks Again!