Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many cups of food ? Confused :(

Hello everyone. Ideally speaking, is it o.k. to consume 1 full cup of food per meal or should it be is 1/2 cup ? If we can consune more than 2 full cups of food, is it an indicator that we need fill ?

What u can eat and what u should eat r two different things. I was told one cup every 3-4 hours, 108 grams of Protein (based on my weight and how hard and often I workout). Some days I am more hungry than others, but if u find u r always hungry (real hunger not head hunger) see your dr. The band is not magic, u need to eat right and exercise. Mind over matter, till u get to restriction. Best of luck!

My meals prob measure around one cup. I measure my meats and cheese in weight and all others in measuring cups. I could always eat more than that, but I don't. If you can go around 4 hours after eating 3 ounces Protein and veggie/starch then you more than likely don't need a fill.

I do 1 c 3 times a day and if I need a snack I track everything and stay within my calories . If you can eat more then 1 c per meal you need a fill...I am satisfied all day but I plan for head hunger with good Snacks yogurt, apple, one serving of crackers but still stay within my caloiers for the day. I think the band is magic, for the first time in my life I am not hungry all the time, food doenst call me, and I can eat like a normal person. If you do the work your band is a great friend

It will vary from surgeon to surgeon, some say a 1/2 cup and others say 1 cup, but one thing that is pretty universal is no more than 1 cup per meal.

Just because you can physically eat more doesn't mean you should nor does it mean you need a fill. The band isn't supposed to physically stop you from eating anything, in fact that's a big reason why it's important to stick to band sized portions so we don't accidentally over eat.

If you want a really clear but great explanation, have a look at the link in my signature.

Best wishes.

All of the previous comments are right on but it looks like(your profile) you're probably in a maintenance mode at this time? You probably need about 1600-1800 calories a day to maintain your current weight. How many cups will depend a lot on what's in the cup? As long as you continue to make healthy food choices you should maintain your current weight.

Just continue to eat till you're satisfied? If that's 2 cups of lasagna, yes, you may need a fill. If it's 2 cups of salad and lean chicken you should be fine.

tmf

I agree with the other posters. One cup rule. If you need to eat more frequently but I would not test your band to go beyond that. Over eating is just not what the band is about. Even though we use it, it does not always make us full but full was then satisfied is now. If you are hungry before 4 hours then you probably need a fill. If you are eating just to eat then you probably dont.

I'm only consuming 1/2 cup of food each meal