Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need some encouragement

Hi all,

I was banded about 19 months ago and have pretty much failed the band. I was out of work for a good part of this time, and being a cash-paying patient, couldn't get many fills. However, about a year ago I went in and they really filled me up full. Good news....I started losing weight. Bad news: I was throwing everything up. So I went in for an unfill and haven't been back since. Now I am at the weight I started at plus 5 lbs.

I have a fill appointment next week. I decided yesterday to make some changes and really make an effort to make this work. I'm quitting drinking...I was taking in a ton of empty beer calories. I'm also starting to work out again...was only able to do cardio for 24 mins tonight but hey it's a start. Also going to start tracking everything I eat on my phone.

I haven't been in touch with anyone I met from my original support group, or even the people I met on here, since I did so horribly. I'm dreading facing my surgeon for a fill but I have to do it.

I guess I just needed to talk a little and could use some encouragement. Thanks.

best advice is pay attention to youre body before you eat through out the day as far about the complications of the band i wish best of luck and hope u continue a healthy weight loss if u have any questions feel free to ask ;)

dont worrie you will have success and and u will do well im sure of it bc u have the will strength and faith and thats all it takes ;) dont let anything stop u

You are owning up to your failure and that takes guts. Drinking is one big weight gain problem and if you put your mind to it then yes you will succeed. 24 minutes is better then nothing. I wish you nothing but success.

Please don't agonize about facing your surgeon again. Most surgeons hate to see patients disappear and are happy to welcome them back. Your surgeon already knows you have a problem with food and eating. If I were you, I'd ask for a band refresher course along with that fill, including spending some time with a dietitian to figure out a detailed eating plan and talk about the foods or cravings or other things that you struggle with.

As Cheryl said, it takes guts to own up to your band "failure". People who can't or won't admit to that have a much harder time of getting on track and staying there.

You can do this!

Jean

I am right there with ya! I've been reading through posts to try to find some motivation somewhere. I see so many successful people and I want to get there. I don't even have a huge amount left to lose, but I have just not done what I am supposed to for at least 6 months. My last fill was in November 2012. I have 7 cc and I still do not think I have ever reached my "green" "sweet" spot. I have always had problems with the chewing and small bites. I still eat too fast and do not chew enough. I will feel the food almost instantly stop at my band, but if a sit up straight and just move around, I feel it pass through. Does that mean I need a fill? I do have problems getting much down in the mornings. pills can get stuck. I do not throw up. It just hurts until I can wiggle enought to get it to pass. I instantly feel when it goes through the band. Do others have that feeling? I just don't want to get too tight.

Anyway, I know that summer is right around the corner. For some reason, out of all of the posts that I read, YOURS gave me some motivation. Maybe I want to encourage you because I know all of the right things to tell you to do, and I know if you follow the "rules" it works. So, maybe in thinking about giving you advice, it made me think more about taking my own advice. I won't lie. I am somewhat of a lazy person (in my mind). I do have a full time job and two young kids and I do what I need to, but I have never been that energetic or active and I seem to enjoy sitting on my fat ass doing nothing. I am the queen of procrastination and then beating myself up about it. I have been really struggling in the last few weeks. saying to myself "tomorrow I am going to start fresh and get back on track". But before lunch time I'm already eating JUNK and then eating out for lunch. Eating dinner then snacking at night. Then beating myself up again. What's the deal? It makes no sense. It's a vicious cycle. Bottom line is that we have to have support. We both took the first step of making an appointment to see our doc for a fill. We both have now posted something here to get some support. Now I am setting the goal of getting my Water all in today (I have only been getting like 16 oz). Tonight, I will go back to the gym, as much as I hate working out. .There are so many people on here that are successful. Lets go for it and start to feel proud of ourselves, instead of embarrassed and like failures. :)

There is a common problem I have been seeing on this site! I am guilty of the same offense! We stop going to our appointments for many different reasons! The people that seem to be successful are very diligent in following EVERY rule, which includes regular doctor visits! I think if we all start by making appointments and keeping them we will be just as successful as those we admire for their accomplishments! I have started by making an appointment in March! Good Luck to everyone, and let's get this back on track!

I think it also helps to have a great surgeon that your not "afraid of". I personally do. My mother, sister in law and two co workers however see a different surgeon and they all say they are scared to go back because he "fusses at them". I recently told my doc about them and his words were "we try not to be to hard on our patients because we feel like they are hard enough on themselves". Like I said-great doc! We all need encouragement not condemnation. With that said we also don't need to be handing out bad advise on here either. If you've just started out on your journey not a good idea to be dishing out bad habits to others but instead maybe people should listen to ones that have been successful. Sorry that wasn't even about this post but is a rant I wanted to go on. Lol. Good luck!