Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any suggestions to curb emotional eating?

I was banded at the end of November and have had one fill. I have done relatively well losing weight pre op but since the surgery I have kind of slumped. I'm feeling no restriction yet which makes it very easy for me to over eat and I'm having difficulties keeping it in check. Any suggestions on how to stop this behavior? I'm afraid I'm reverting back to my old binge eating ways and could use some advice!

You wont feel restriction until you start getting fills so basically right now you have to control yourself until you are able to get some fills to help you.

They waited 6 weeks for first fill and then I'm going for my next early march. Not really sure why they spread it out so much!

Maggie, I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only one in this position! I too had Lap Band surgery at the end of November and had one fill so far and I'm not feeling the restriction either! I lost 20 lbs pre op and only 6 post op but have gained 3 of that back! So still no weight loss really since the procedure. My next fill is on Wed Feb 20th, so I'm hoping I'll see (feel) some restriction after that. I don't know how long it takes to get the ball rolling but I've been getting discouraged and depressed. I'm looking for answers as well! Anybody???????

Since I have a large band it is taking a lot of fills for me. I would ask your doctor to see you every 2 weeks to get ball rolling . My doctor said there is no reason to wait do long for a fill after the 6 week healing time

Emotional eating is really tough. I wish I could give you some great advice to overcome it but all I can do is share what works for me. I really think it's a lifelong struggle and the trick is figuring out what works best for you. Afterall, the band goes around your stomach not your brain, so when battling our minds we're on our own.

I find avoiding trigger foods entirely helps. There are certain foods, like Peanut Butter cups, I simply can't have in the house. If there is a bag of Reese's miniatures in the cupboard I can't eat just one I'll eat the whole bag. If I'm having an emotional high or low, even more so.

I find tracking all my calories really helps me battle head hunger. When you track calories, even when you're not making good choices, you can't lie to yourself. It's so easy to say to yourself "Oh I only had a small piece of cake, it's ok if I have these Cookies too", but when you track those calories and see that cake was 400 calories and now those Cookies would be additional 300 calories, you can't rationalize or justify your emotional eating. It helps to deter bad eating when the truth is right there staring you in the face.

I also find having safe foods for when I really need something helps. For instance, I happen to like dill pickles. They're zero calories. I also like cucumbers, which are also zero calories. Very often I'll go for those when I just need 'something'. When I have a horrible sweet tooth, I have a 60 calorie sugar free pudding. For me, these things really help a lot. The trick is finding which foods may help you.

Best wishes to you and I hope you find your own answer, too.

Two things help me

1) Keeping myself busy. A) This helps take my mind off the stress that often makes me crave awful foods B ) keeps me busy enough to not think about food all day

2) DO NOT BUY AND CRAP FOODS! Out of site=out of mind

If there is nothing bad sitting around teasing you, you will be less agonized. It is torture to be miserable and depressed and have to avoid the junk food in your house at 2 AM

If I might ask, why only one fill in that time?

If I might ask, why only one fill in that time?

I was wondering the same thing. Ya know.. you don't have to wait that long for fills.. Ask them to schedule you sooner. Only needs to be like 3 weeks apart. Well, Mine were and that was more than enough time.. I would really get on that, you shouldn't have to wait so loong. Good Luck hun!!

It takes me, and some others, 2-3 weeks for my stomach to settle down from a fill. That is why I am glad my doc only does them every two months.

I was banded at the end of November and have had one fill. I have done relatively well losing weight pre op but since the surgery I have kind of slumped. I'm feeling no restriction yet which makes it very easy for me to over eat and I'm having difficulties keeping it in check. Any suggestions on how to stop this behavior? I'm afraid I'm reverting back to my old binge eating ways and could use some advice!

For me...it's all about the band....first, I don't experience hunger all tat much...2nd, if I should start to eat because of "Head Hunger" or perhaps "emotional Eating"...the band will stop me from eating too much at any given time without paying the consequences.....

Even if there is crap foods around the house ot the office, like donuts....how much can I eat? One bite of a donut and I better spit it our because I know what will come next....

My concern has always been why is the band not doing what it should be doing.....thankfully, I am, and have been at that place where it is doing everything I can ask........

I've been getting fills every week for 3 weeks and feel fine. I think I'm close to the green zone now. I would ask for appointments closer together if possible. Good luck to you!!!

Thanks for everyones thoughts on this. I am going to talk to the PA that does the fills at my surgeons office about moving them closer together. I believe they generally do it every month until I start to feel something but this time around there was a scheduling conflict and I couldn't get in until the beginning of march. She did warn me I might not feel anything until after the 2nd or 3rd fill. I'm definitely going to try some of your suggestions! Keeping it out of my house is the hardest part! My husband tries to be supportive but doesn't understand that means he can't bring certain items into our house!

For me to get over head hunger....

I have to keep my favorit Water battle filled and with me at all times....

I drink when ever I feel boared like pre banding Id go grab a bite to eat....now I sip my water...

I too keep my trigger foods out of the house....Good Luck !

i dont have any fills so i have to aware and also careful not to overeat

the dr gave me a allotted amount to eat and i stick with it...i cant (fall back on my fill to help stop me)...i look forward to that in the future...i didnt get to over 300 pounds by not being a emotional eater..

now 8 months post op, knowing i have this extra helper inside me has given me support and a peace of mind..it will help me if i let it......just yesterday, i was struggling with some friend whom i thought was my friend and of course my daily work issue......before i would dive into bags of chips or hit my beloved mickey dee's..

now i take a time out

walk up and down the halls at work

take a bath

get lost in my adult contemp books i read

and talk with my lap band girls..

that is how i handle emotional eating now.

def you will realize you are stronger mentally than you think you are