Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Curious About Band Size & Slipped Band

This is a question for the folks who have unfortunately had / have a slipped band.

What size is your band?

I'm just curious to know if it happens more with one particular size.

Thank you !!

I'm not sure of the circumference of mine, but it's the kind that holds 4cc's total... does that help?

I'm not sure of the circumference of mine, but it's the kind that holds 4cc's total... does that help?

Both the 9.75 and 10 cm bands hold 4cc. The Vanguard (AKA VG or 11cm Band) holds 12 or so cc's so you have one of the other ones.

I think it is important to say that the chances of the band slipping is really in our own hands. If we follow the diet instructions, there really shouldn't be a problem with any band. Just be careful

My band has slipped and I don't know what size it is but the doctor told me it was too tight to begin with. I had a different Doctor put it in and when she was done she said she had a hard time because it was so tight and she was going to use the next size but finally got it done. After whenever I had a fill I would get sick and have to have it unfilled this has gone on for almost two years now. I now have to have the band replaced and he will be putting a bigger one in. Right now I am set-up for 11-5 for the operation but the insurance still hasn't approved it. They want verification that I am still deiting and excercising. I told them I've lost 85 pounds doesn't that tell you anything. So what if they don't approve? Do I stay like this? I am so sick right now I feel like I am barely funtioning due to all the vomiting I do. I'm dehydrated and dizzy and just plain tired all the time. Some days if I eat I vomit everything up then some I'm ok. I am still excercising but yesterday almost passed out after.:help: I can't take this anymore.

Can you tell me the symptoms of a slipped band?? I wonder it that is whats happening to me. I have a pain int he upper portion of my stomach feels like near the solar plexis and im slightly nauseous. Im nearly one month post op and had a hard time yesterday with my dinner. It got stuck twice and then i quit eating. I didnt PB but felt i had too..

I think it is important to say that the chances of the band slipping is really in our own hands. If we follow the diet instructions, there really shouldn't be a problem with any band. Just be careful

I am sorry but I disagree with this 100%! I had the band for 6 months and in those 6 months I was a perfect band patient. Even my Dr and his staff could not believe that I had a slip - twice!

I think some bodies just do not accept the band - like mine.

Every time I'd get a fill, about 4 weeks laster the band would give me more restriction and it would slip. This last time, my stomach almost burst from it. None of this was from my fault.

I would eat like a band person is to eat. I never hard anything to get stuck, I was afraid to. I guess after having a slip you don't "try" things.

The band when it wasn't filled worked for me... when it had a fill, it did not. This last go round, I was ready for it to come out. I was in so much pain from the slippage for a week. In the hopital with tubes down my nose for drainage from the pouch where you stomach makes it's own acids. It was horrible.

It's been 2 days now since my band has been gone. Am I sad - of course who wouldn't be, but there are also the thoughts in my head that my health is important and I can finish this journey another way. The band is just a tool to help you... it helped me start out, I eat right now, I workout more than I ever have in my life... I can finish this.

For those of you who think you MIGHT have a slippage - please go see your Dr. It's very important to get this looked at.

With having 2 - I just couldn't take it any more. Plus the last one was so bad I was in to much danger to keep the band or to have it replaced.

Everyone be good on your journey... because that is what it is.

Crystal

My first band was 4 ccs. It was too tight and I put off going for a drs appt. cause the restriction was making me lose so much weight that i was secretly happy. well finally it caused me to have an obstruction. and I had to have it removed. Now I have an 11 cc band . I myself would like to know why he chose a 4 cc to begin with and now a 11 cc one. .I also hope that the mess it made of my stomach doesnt cause me complications in the future..

F.Y.I. the band is now placed higher on my stomach and im kinda worried that it may be too close to my esophagus. I just had my first fill since the new band this past saturday and i feel absolutely no restriction still. I had lost 150 lbs and ive gained back 30 in the one month since my band was changed. grrrrrr

I have not had a slipped band that I know of but, I am curious to know what the symptoms are of a slipped band or if the band is too tight for me.

I am completely unfilled and I cannot seem to keep food or liquids down. Either that or I have a really hard time and keep burping in order to save myself a trip to the restroom.

I feel so helpless and that I am at the mercy of my band and how "it" wants to feel everyday.

Yesterday's meals:

Breakfast: Water (took all morning to drink half a cup)

Lunch: Jamba juice (with a multi-Vitamin & energy boost) and I took from 11 to about 1:00 to finish

Dinner: 2 club crackers and a a tablespoon of Soup

I did not have a restroom episode but felt like going for every one of those "meals". I KNOW this is not normal.

Im not sure the Dr. would have called my band a slippage or not. My symptoms were of course nothing at all eventually passing through. I first started with having a day or 2 of nothing passing and I was secretely happy about it cause I was losing major weight. and about 1 day out of 3 I could eat anything I wanted. well eventually it got worse. I would eat 2 bites and lose it. It almost seemed that I lost more then I ate.I had a 4 cc band with only 3 ccs in it. In the beginning it was fine so I didnt think it could be too full cause why would it have not been too full to begin with. I eventually lost too much potassium and my heart beat had come down to 39 a min. I went in and he immediately put me in the hospital. I had not gotten anything down in 2 weeks almost. Ill be honest I had no pain at all. just couldnt keep any food down. When I had the barium swallow nothing was going through. I think had i gone to the dr. before then i probably could have saved myself some trouble. Now when they went in, he found that the band had dialated , whatever that means. In his office he had tried to remove the saline first but there was none there. he said after the surgery that my band had kept too much pressure on my stomach and caused my stomach to start protruding through my band and causing my band to mess up. If you have no saline in it and still not able to eat then Id insist on some answers from the Dr.

when i look at the pictures of where my old band was , to me it looks like my stomach was only a h air from being completely eaten through. I am no physician but it sure didnt look good to me. Get some definite answers.

I HAD what I like to call the "1st generation" Inamed 4cc band. I had a slip with erotion several months ago (6/1/07 discovered with Upper GI series), had emergency removal surgery(7/30/07), and eventually had a revision to RNY on 10/1/07 :biggrin1: