Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting over, 5 years after surgery

Oh lord... FUNERAL POTATOS!!!! They're soo good. I was raised LDS too, though I stopped going to church when I was about 15. It's just not my path, but wow... those potatos are the best thing ever, and about the worst thing you can eat. They get their name because when someone passes away, the ladies Relief Society (which is sort of a women's auxilliary) helps to put together a banquet for people to attend after the funeral service. The potatos are a staple, and that's how they got their name. Your standard Mormon banquet, whether a wedding or a funeral, will have dinner rolls, iceburg lettuce salad, some sort of Jello salad, funeral potatos, ham, and some kind of a desert, along with a non caffeinated beverage, usually fruit punch, root beer, or 7-up. (Did I hit all the major points, Hillary? LOL...) Anyway, I agree. Don't make them, or you won't be able to stop!

Sorry to hear about the troubles with your BF, Hillary, but it sounds like you're doing the best with what you've got, which is all any of us can do really.

I've had my good food days and bad food days lately too. I'll own that I had one night this week where I broke into the Forbidden Cabinet of evil snack foods, and had a mini binge on potato chips dipped in Nutella. Still, I'm reminding myself that it isn't the end of the world, and even though I slipped up and backslid into my bad habits for a moment, my good days are far outweighing the bad, and the scale is showing it.

I ended up having to get a bit of an unfill after all. I woke up last Friday morning so tight that I was having chest pain every time I took a sip of liquid. It felt like someone was stabbing me in the chest, and I was pretty miserable. I managed to elbow my way into an appointment that afternoon. My PA took out .3cc, which was enough to give me some relief. 4cc wasn't enough, 4.6cc was too much, so hopefully 4.3 will be just right. I'm ready for some green zone action.

I started moving more this week, and went for a couple of long walks with a girlfriend of mine, even when I really didn't want to go one day after a crappy day of work. I'm going to make a point of doing more this weekend too. I had good weight loss last week, and dropped to 262.5, but I've been bouncing back and forth between that and 263/264/262.5 all week. I've also been eating too much salt, and not drinking enough Water so I'm sure that has something to do with it. I'm just doing my best to stay on target and stay motivated, even when the scale doesn't seem to want to cooperate.

I have to confess, my head plays a lot of tricks on me. Some days I'm high as a kite, and raring to go, and other days I get really down on myself and have a lot of self doubt as to whether or not I'm going to be able to pull this off, or if I'll lose a bit and then flunk out and regain everything like I have so many times before.

So glad you checked in, Stephanie, and I'm glad to hear you're taking the bump in the road in stride. None of us can be perfect, but we can pick ourselves up after we fall and get back on track. I think we all go through the mental ups and downs. I know I do. Some days I really feel like I have this licked, like my 1000-1200 calorie goal is more than enough and I can just cruise my way to thin before I even know it. And some days I think the scale has a personal grudge against me, I'll never lose another pound, and I'll starve to death if I don't eat an entire bag of Doritos. Luckily, none of that bad stuff has happened. But I really think it's totally normal to waffle like that. We're human, after all.

Personally, I'm getting super stressed out over work, but I'm trying to channel it away from overeating and onto something less destructive. That means I may end up obsessing a bit too much over my eating, but if it makes me more vigilant over tracking calories and making good choices, I suppose I can live with it. Hopefully, it will only be another couple of weeks before things calm down and get back to normal.

Wishing everyone a great start to the week!

Well last week hubby and I talked about how much walking I had done years ago and how little, well none that I do now. I used to walk about a mile to a mile and a half everyday. But then I got a job and then I had surgeries and then I just let life get in the way of my walking. I told him that I needed to get back to a schedule. It was usually around 9am that I would grab the doggie and off we would go. So we talked about me getting started back to walking and I told him if I did, he had to also. Last friday we walked in the morning and then later in the day I went and met my friend Mary and we walk in the evening. Took the weekend off and then got back to walking today. Feeling pretty good but boy am I out of shape with my walking.

Saturday we had a 50th wedding anniversary to go to. I had met this lady about 9 years ago when I joined WW. I sat next to her at every meeting and we quickly became friends. She was such an inspiration to me. She was at a loss of 208 pounds when I started. She kept me straight. So we went to the reception and had a good time. We didn't stay long but long enough for me to have a class of tea. I walked about with out even getting a piece of cake. So proud of myself.

Then in class last night, one of the couples brought in stuff to make nachos with. I mean the whole works. I had done good during the day but I could not pass on the nachos. I didn't pig out but I did make a plate. And it was so good. So back to my schedule of regular eating today. Glad I got that out of my system.

Stephanie, really glad you checked in. We are all here for each other and to inspire.

Amy, do you have a hobby that you can turn to? I used to do a lot of hand sewing but have gotten out of that. I guess I need to find a new hobby. But I find doing that, it keeps my hands busy and my mind somewhat entertained and not thinking of food.< /p>

OMG, did anyone watch the Ham presentation on Saturday Night Live. One of the funniest things I have seen in a long time.

Hi everyone,

Well, new week, new opportunities to keep pushing to become better. I wake up every day grateful to put my feet on the floor, and yet hopeful that I can make good choices with my food! I slipped a bit Saturday night. Combination of some anxiety, boredom, and knowledge that I didn't throw out a small bowl of chocolate that was hidden in a cupboard. Such an addict mentality lol. But, I got up yesterday morning, hung out a local Starbucks, and stayed strong staying away from everything involving sugar and starch! Not easy! I am feeling good that my jeans don't feel like sausage casing on my thighs ;) - I just didn't want to go and buy a size up in jeans. I fought so hard to get into an 18 (albeit Lane Bryant's version of an 18). Guess that's my impetus...measurement...motivation - whatever you want to call it. I've been drinking iced green tea (unsweetened) all day, and I find myself craving cucumbers and salmon; which is good. That's where I want to be. I admit I'm getting tired of the Protein Shakes for Breakfast and lunch routine. I have such a hard time being consistent with those, even though I know it'll help me. What I really need are some ideas for easy dinners for one? I've been buying a piece of fish or a piece of steak, cooking it and then eating some steamed veggies with it. What are some things you all make for dinner that are delicious and low-sodium, low-carb? I really have to watch sodium intake at the end of the day; gotta love being in your mid-forties! Also, I see some of you talk about a "5 day pouch test"; what is that?

Hope everyone's made it through a great Monday!

Lela

Anna, it's never to late. Go back to the basics. Log everything and exercise every day even if it is just a little. You will feel so much better? Welcome back!

Sounds like you're doing well, Lela. I also tend to do a serving of Protein (3-4oz) with a veggie side. When I'm just cooking for me, I like to cook in my toaster oven on the convection setting. A typical meal for me might be 3-4 oz of chicken breast lightly brushed with Dijon mustard and then sprinkled with seasoned breadcrumbs (just a tablespoon or two). I put that on a foil lined toaster tray, add a few spears of asparagus, spray it all with olive oil (I use a Misto sprayer) and then convection bake it for 15-20min at 400. The chicken stays fairly moist, the mustard holds on the breadcrumbs and adds flavor, and the asparagus roasts to a lovely, nutty flavor. A squeeze of lemon juice and dinner is served.

I get a lot more creative when I'm cooking to share with the housemates, but that's my old standby for solo dining. Tonight, I actually made myself a stuffed pepper with half a small red bell pepper, 3oz of super lean ground beef, a couple of tablespoons of leftover rice, chopped fresh spinach and chopped onion. I added a tablespoon of Tomato paste, a teaspoon of Worcestershire, and some pasteurized egg whites and then baked it (toaster oven again!) for 45 minutes. Served with some broccoli rabe that I just cut up and nuked with a tablespoon of Water for a minute and a half. Yummy. Not super high in protein, but not shabby, either.

I've also made a couple of recipes from Jean McMillan's bandster cookbook that were very good, but the ones I tried I either shared with friends or ate as leftovers for days because they made way too much for just me. A lot of it is just creative thinking or figuring out ways to modify old recipes to add protein and cut fat and carbs. It takes some effort, but I like to cook, so I think it can be fun!

Wow, so glad I saw this post... I've been reading all the "good banders" stories on here and thought there was nobody like me... I had surgery about 6 years ago and lost about 96lbs, I wasn't really crazy about my surgeon, he didn't have a great personality and wasn't supportive or encouraging so I quit going. And I never went back. Now I'm trying to lose weight again (I gained back 40 Of the 100lbs I lost) and am calling the surgeons office to make an appt tomorrow. I'm kind of excited and kind of scared.... Who knows what he'll say...

how did you go with your appointment ?? did you have the same dr ??........

I too am starting over again (tomorrow). I got the band 5 years ago and did initially loose some weight but decided food was more important than learning how to live healthy with a band and gave up. Now, 4.5 years later I am reminded that I HAVE to loose now to keep a healthy heart so I called last week to make an apt with my old doctor to get a fill and start all over again. This time hopefully with a better mind-set to see this thru to the end this time. I want to be around for grand-children and grow old with my husband so I will take it serious this time. Food is my drug of choice so I will be fighting like all of us to kick this once and for all. Thank you for posting about your struggle because it gave me strength to post (my first post/new to this forum) my starting over and learning about all the great support you can get here. I look forward to reading about your journey and I will post mine as well. Good luck!!

Thanks Amy! My band won't allow me to eat rice or peppers, otherwise I'd be all over that stuffed pepper recipe - yum! I'll definitely try the chicken w/Dijon though. I completely forgot about bandster cookbooks; I'll have to do some more research tonight to see if there's any on Amazon I can download into my Kindle. I'm a horrible chef, I don't really like cooking and I'm not very good at it, so I tend to rely on grocery deli's and such for dinners. Not a good combo for eating well, I know :). I bought a nice filet mignon from the grocer the other day, and I tried to follow a basic recipe but it didn't turn out as well as when I've bbq'd before. I've been eyeing ground turkey lately, just need to find a way to make it tasty with some spices. I figure if I can at least find 3-4 basic recipes around fish, chicken, turkey & beef - that'll help me when I'm craving something fried which is all too easy when I'm working late!

katspaw - welcome! I was banded 3 years ago and I've yet to lose that big drop of weight. I've hit a 50 lb loss, but then life got in the way and I didn't take care of myself first. It's a process and it always will be! I came here to this site and this thread was my first post/forum too last week because I am in the exact same boat as you. I was looking for a place of support and advice during lunch one day. I'm a complete food addict. I will be until the day I die. I'm in my mid-forties now and the one thing I've committed to is to get up every morning and doing the best I can with each day. I'm so tired of feeling the shame of my addiction! I would love to hear what you do to push through a tough time in life - that's where I'm at. I've used food to crutch myself through good and bad times, but as I age, more friends get diagnosed with cancer, family members pass, pets pass. I have such a hard time not wanting to console myself with food through those times. Wishing you all the best this week!

I completely forgot about bandster cookbooks; I'll have to do some more research tonight to see if there's any on Amazon I can download into my Kindle.

I have this book, "Eating Well after Weight Loss Surgery," and it has a lot of good recipes. The beef stroganoff, and Tomato Soup with Greek yogurt are especially good. Amazon has it on sale right now too.

http://www.amazon.co...ht loss surgery

So I went to Doc and got a fill and don't really feel anything just yet other than my stomach growling. :-) I did get more information however about my surgery 5 yrs ago. I have a 12cc band and at my 1yr visit I had a 7cc fill. I only had 4cc's left of saline in my band today but he said that was normal because over time it does evaporate even inside your body so he only put me back to 6cc's for now. I go back in 2 months to get another fill. I lost a total of 68 pounds during that first year which is more than I thought I had. So I had only gained 34 of those pounds back in the past 4 years so it does work some even when you aren't eating correctly 100% of the time. So I will see what each day holds for me and how I can get over this empty feeling while I am on liquid diet for the next 3 days min.

So I will see what each day holds for me and how I can get over this empty feeling while I am on liquid diet for the next 3 days min.

You might try using chia seeds. The nutritionist at my band office turned me on to them. You can get them at most health food stores, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, etc.. When you put them in liquid, they plump up into sort of a gel. You can add them to your drinks or smoothies to help you feel full. The texture can be a little odd, but they work really well. I put mine in Crystal Light, and sip on it between meals, and it really helps me keep my hunger at bay. You can do between 1tsp-2Tbsp per day. They have a lot of Fiber as well, which is a big plus when you're doing a lot of Protein and not a lot of veggies, but you don't want to have too much or you may have... issues. :D

I have never tried them before. I will go to the store tomorrow and get some to try them out. No issues with band I assume since it seems like you have had it before?

I hope everyone is doing well mid-week. Personally, I've gone over my calorie goal for the past couple of days. Nothing disastrous, but I still want to nip it in the bud before it gets out of control, so I'm aiming to have a low calorie day. I want to try to stay below 1100 to start to balance things out. Basically, my goal is to have MyFitnessPal calculate at the end of the week that I averaged out at around 1200 calories per day.

I had another decent weigh in this week and I'm basically back where I was before I started to regain. I was bouncing back and forth between 203-204 back then, and I'm back to 204. In one way, that's awesome, of course, but in another, it's messing with my mind a little because it makes those voices in my head taunt me with the idea that I might not be able to go any lower. I need to make myself ignore them. The reason I started regaining before was because I gave up when I wasn't able to get my band adjusted properly. Now that it is adjusted, I just need to keep doing what I'm doing, and I know I can continue to lose. But, wow, I'm getting impatient to get back into the 190s. Anything that doesn't start with a 2 will be a big victory for me and my next mini goal. Can't wait to tick that off the list. I'd love to be losing 5 lbs a week so that I could see it next weigh in, but I'm still averaging between 1-1.5 lbs per week, so I need to remind myself that's normal and healthy and stop whining over not melting. Easier said than done, of course,

Allergies are killing me again, making me think this must be a really bad season around here, because I haven't gone through anything like this since I moved here from the east coast. It's crazy. Also still slogging away with work, hoping the light at the end of the tunnel in a couple of weeks doesn't turn out to be the train!

Hope all are well. Stay strong and keep moving. If you can do that, you ARE a success!