Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

weight loss tattoos

I was curious if anyone got a tattoo to Celebrate their weight loss.

What did you get? and why?

I was thinking about getting a tattoo that has to be done in stages or something I could simply add to every 50lbs lost or something like that. Looking for ideas

I got a phoenix tattooed on my back. I didn't do it in stages, just once I got to a stable weight and maintained it for a little bit. The pic is in my gallery here:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/gallery/image/35844-the-completed-phoenix/

I'm glad I did it. I tend to get tattoos to mark important events in my life and that was definitely an important event!

I'm thinking of getting a few "traveling butterflies" up my leg.....not sure yet. But I love the idea of tattooing the journey.

Check my gallery to see mine, I actually stopped work on a sleeve because I wanted my skin to stabilize first. I will have to think about what I want when I get there.

I think a tattoo done in stages to mark progress on the journey is a wonderful idea. But as Terry pointed out, you would need to pick a body part where the skin isnt likely to sag, or to be affected by any later plastic surgery.

I have been thinking about getting a tattoo after the weight is all lost and the plastic surgery has been done, to hide the scars. To see some examples, just google 'tattoo to cover Tummy Tuck scars' & then click on images.

Fifteen years ago I purposefully had my only tattoo put on the top of my foot because that was the only place I figured wouldn't be affected by weight gain or weight loss--and it wasn't (but it WAS so painful to have it done there!). Good luck.

I am not a fan of tatoos but have no problem with those who want them. I would just suggest waiting until your loss is finished as you may sag in places you never imagined!!!! That I have first hand knowledge of!

I have been thinking about getting a tattoo after the weight is all lost and the plastic surgery has been done, to hide the scars. To see some examples, just google 'tattoo to cover Tummy Tuck scars' & then click on images.

Just a a cautionary tale, when I had my body lift, my plastic surgeon placed my port just under my skin. When I got a tattoo to cover the body lift scars, a tattoo needle hit the tubing. When I had port replacement surgery for a leak, where the tube was leaking, there was tattoo ink all around it. My surgeon took a picture and showed me. He said he was going to write a paper on it, because he didn't think that it was possible.

So just be careful not to tattoo anywhere near your port.

I think it's a great idea! Tattoo placement is definitely important...I have had 3 tattoos for years and even having lost and gained 150 lbs they have stayed the same because of where they are..Don't forget to post pics if you do get some! :)

Just a a cautionary tale, when I had my body lift, my plastic surgeon placed my port just under my skin. When I got a tattoo to cover the body lift scars, a tattoo needle hit the tubing. When I had port replacement surgery for a leak, where the tube was leaking, there was tattoo ink all around it. My surgeon took a picture and showed me. He said he was going to write a paper on it, because he didn't think that it was possible.

So just be careful not to tattoo anywhere near your port.

My word, what was he using, a harpoon for a needle?

I'm thinking of getting a few "traveling butterflies" up my leg.....not sure yet. But I love the idea of tattooing the journey.

i have (traveling) pink/blue butterflies up and down my right forearm

Fifteen years ago I purposefully had my only tattoo put on the top of my foot because that was the only place I figured wouldn't be affected by weight gain or weight loss--and it wasn't (but it WAS so painful to have it done there!). Good luck.

yes, my tops of feet hurt pretty good also..i have stars/moons etc on them (both)

I was curious if anyone got a tattoo to Celebrate their weight loss.

What did you get? and why?

I was thinking about getting a tattoo that has to be done in stages or something I could simply add to every 50lbs lost or something like that. Looking for ideas

i think that would a great idea (coming from a very inked woman) :)

My word' date=' what was he using, a harpoon for a needle?[/quote']

That was what I was wondering too! I mean, it's not like people who know me don't know how thick my skin is either...! Lol!

thanks for the input y'all! I was thinking about something on my side between my ribcage and thigh (not that big though). I'm thinking maybe my hip.

I'm excited and so indecisive lol