Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To all ye successful bandsters

Well, I'm not sure if I'm a success yet because I'm not done losing, but I have lost 187 pounds in 13 months.

For me, the main things have been learning how the band is meant to work and learning how to eat healthy.

I also count every single calorie I put in my mouth, no exceptions. Even when I cheat, I log it. It keeps me accountable and also helps me stay on track.

Really, I think anyone can lose with the band. All it takes is a little education, a little common sense, and a big desire for change.

Best wishes.

The best advice I can give you besides for what Missy and Chez have said is to remember that the band is not MAGIC

Many uneducated people think that it's a miracle cure for obesity

Is it useful? Sure

Helpful? You bet!

But it's certainly not magical

well said ladies!

Well, I'm not sure if I'm a success yet because I'm not done losing, but I have lost 187 pounds in 13 months.

You're very successful and you set a great example for others.

Very good advice here. I would add that patience is a must also. Things will go slow at times and there will be some frustrating moments. Key is to stick with it and do whatever takes to keep an eye on the big picture and stay the course. This journey is not just about scale movement and weight loss which we all tend to focus on. I am still learning at 9 months out.

Best of luck!!

Follow your doctors instructions to the T, don't cheat because cheating doesn't help you, concentrate on learning to re eat with your band, don't test your band, weight loss does slow or stall and you have to learn to deal with that, frustration will not help you get to where you want to be, staying positive that you will do this will, being true to yourself is the only way you will be successful. You can lie to everyone else but when you mess up you can't lie to yourself.

Thanks for asking! First you need to define success on your own terms. The band's stats are pretty clear that over 3 years you can expect to lose an average of 50-70% of your excess weight. I knew this going in and was prepared to work extra hard at being compliant to maximize my tool. As of today, I'm down 91 lb and though I hope to lose another 30 or so, I consider myself a success.

In another post, it was stated that you should follow doctors orders, not test your band and don't cheat. I agree with the first two, I don't necessarily agree that not cheating is an absolute no-no. Naturally slim people don't fret over every bite they eat and one of the issues we have as obese people, is guilt. Let yourself off the hook and utilize your band to help you eat more like a naturally thin person. I was and am compliant, but even my nutritionist agrees that a too strict eating regimine is not a good idea. There are so many definitions of "cheating"...is it an extra tiny bite after you're finished eating or eating your veggies first or not getting enough Protein in one day? One poster even went so far as to suggest that eating standing up is cheating...

Whatever you define as success, write it down as a reminder, when that off day comes and you're feeling like a failure, that you choose what makes you a success.

Best of luck to you!

Thanks for asking! First you need to define success on your own terms. The band's stats are pretty clear that over 3 years you can expect to lose an average of 50-70% of your excess weight. I knew this going in and was prepared to work extra hard at being compliant to maximize my tool. As of today, I'm down 91 lb and though I hope to lose another 30 or so, I consider myself a success.

In another post, it was stated that you should follow doctors orders, not test your band and don't cheat. I agree with the first two, I don't necessarily agree that not cheating is an absolute no-no. Naturally slim people don't fret over every bite they eat and one of the issues we have as obese people, is guilt. Let yourself off the hook and utilize your band to help you eat more like a naturally thin person. I was and am compliant, but even my nutritionist agrees that a too strict eating regimine is not a good idea. There are so many definitions of "cheating"...is it an extra tiny bite after you're finished eating or eating your veggies first or not getting enough Protein in one day? One poster even went so far as to suggest that eating standing up is cheating...

Whatever you define as success, write it down as a reminder, when that off day comes and you're feeling like a failure, that you choose what makes you a success.

Best of luck to you!

I totally agree with you about the cheating. If we live our lives feeling deprived we're setting ourselves up for failure. I personally refuse to live like that.

So, about once a month I'll order a pizza for the family and I'll "cheat" and have a slice. It's not healthy, it's not good for me, but I do log the calories and only have it moderation. Over Christmas, I actually gained a little, but I immediately got back on track and re-lost the weight (and then some!) Tomorrow I'll be having a slice of chocolate cake, but again, I'll also be logging those calories.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the occasional indulgence or "cheating". The trick is to not let it become a way of life and to always do it in moderation.

I don't consider anything as "cheating". I don't view how I live and eat as "on a diet" either. I am one of those people who doesn't do well with being told what I can/cannot eat because it just makes me want something even more.

You really need to figure out which way works for you. I had this discussion with my doctor at my last visit when I dropped 6 1/2 lbs in four weeks with no fill since July. Some people need to have rules and stick hard and fast to them for success and others work best taking the approach that I do.

Good luck either way!

What the others have said, sage advice. My biggest thing is don't be afraid to discuss concerns with your surgeon. I am 3 1/2 years out and still have questions at times. Best wishes. Karen

PS: Not horse race, a live style change!

Life is too short to not enjoy what you enjoy, within moderation of course! I log everything I eat, and if I do indulge I just try to still stay within my calorie range for the day.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I truly appreciate them. I have been tracking every bite I eat, measuring, counting calories, working out n this alone is part of my success. Do any of you have schedules to share (workout schedules, eating schedules), calorie intake?

I want to some day be as successful as y'all have been. What are your secrets, tips, schedules (like). Give it all to me. I want it so bad n could use all your help to get there!

I was very strict with myself and I lost 220 lbs in 23 months. I counted every calorie except toothpaste limiting myself to 1000 calories every day. I weighed all my food whenever possible and ate 3 oz protien, 1/2 c veggies or salad and , 1/4 c starch three times every day. I drank more Water then I care to remember and I saw my dr every month without fail. I rarely drank alcohol and cheated less than a handful of times. I didn't exercise except walking which I am not proud of but it's honest.

I had plateaus like everyone else but I averaged about ten lbs monthly. I became one with my band and the lesson is now helping me lose a few extra lbs while I am maintaining.

I never believed I would not succeed. Getting banded was a drastic decision for me and one I took very seriously. My life depended on it. And the results are amazing.... Because now I am wearing a size 6 and considering I was born a size 14 I am sure... It's an incredible transformation...one that has changed my life.

I was very strict with myself and I lost 220 lbs in 23 months. I counted every calorie except toothpaste limiting myself to 1000 calories every day. I weighed all my food whenever possible and ate 3 oz protien' date=' 1/2 c veggies or salad and , 1/4 c starch three times every day. I drank more Water then I care to remember and I saw my dr every month without fail. I rarely drank alcohol and cheated less than a handful of times. I didn't exercise except walking which I am not proud of but it's honest.

I had plateaus like everyone else but I averaged about ten lbs monthly. I became one with my band and the lesson is now helping me lose a few extra lbs while I am maintaining.

I never believed I would not succeed. Getting banded was a drastic decision for me and one I took very seriously. My life depended on it. And the results are amazing.... Because now I am wearing a size 6 and considering I was born a size 14 I am sure... It's an incredible transformation...one that has changed my life.[/quote']

Thank you for that. What type of starch would you eat?