Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have considered getting lap band a while back, this last august i started along the way to getting it done. I have completed all the steps that are needed and have got my insurance approval, My schedualed date is march 14th, I have notice that the closer that date comes i have been getting alittle nervious. I worry about the diet after, the loose skin, the personal and psycological changes that go along with it.

I am tall, and strong, youngish (27) my surgin says the loose skin shouldnt be to big of a problem, but it still worries me, as i have always had body image issues.

My current weight is 336.0, my target go get my surgury is only 334, ive been trying to maintain at 330. and my goal after is around 200, im hoping that i can build muscle and make a drastic change to my life.

I have never been very outgoing and im hoping that will change after i get where i want to be.

Over all i hope this journey, will be a positive, life changing process. And ive started to look for support and recommendations from where ever I can find them.

post-348912-13813141119132_thumb.jpg

Congrats on making the decision to change your life!! I hope you will eventually break out of your shell and have the wonderful life you deserve...There are so many wise and wonderful people here on this site, you came to the right place!....Best Wishes Joshua! :)

Your fears are/were our fears. I struggled with the thought of never being able to eat my favorite fatty foods ever again. Had I known I could still eat them maybe I wouldn't have feared so much. They said my appetite would change and I may not even crave or want those foods again? that scared me! I do still love those foods but I'm OK with going to a restaurant once a year and eating half a plate of my favorite chicken fried steak smothered in gravy.

I think Pink Dahlia said it best: "I'm so stinkin thrilled with my weight loss, I don't care what foods I can't eat".

And of course, it's not only about image, it's really about living a healthier lifestyle and enjoying those things we gave up on long ago. Like biking, hiking, going up stairs, tying shoes, putting on socks and not have to hold my breath, (great)SEX, sitting in an airplane and not overlaping the other seats, fewer meds, not looking like a slob in a suit, etc.

We're here for ya!

tmf

Congratulations on your decision to change your life and become healthy. The band is a great tool that will assist you in that change. Your fears are normal fears that I think we all felt, I know I did.

You said you fear loose skin. Keep in mind if you do have loose skin, it can be corrected with plastic surgery. I reached my goal recently and yes I do have loose tummy skin. I am planning on getting a Tummy Tuck some time next year. Even if I don't get the tummy tuck I will take the loose skin over the 79 pounds I use to lug around with me.

Good luck to you. We are here to support you through your journey.

Your fears are normal... don't go into this journey saying "I'll never be able to eat this or that ever again."... each person is different... try not to compare yourself to others.

I can eat ANYTHING in moderation except rice and apple skins.

I had a lot of extra skin. I had 16 lbs of skin removed from my tummy and 6 lbs removed from my chest... but it was worth it.

This is great site for information.

Please feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 156 lbs

tomander@bell.net

Welcome, Joshua. You'll find lots of friends here and plenty of support.

We all had/have these fears and many other fears. Most of the veterans will tell you that they are all minor hiccups compared to the abundant success and control they are feeling now. I am newly banded (5 days post op)....still healing...still on liquids. So far, even feeling not-so-hot, I am thrilled!

Good luck to you!

I started at the same weight, and was banded almost 4 weeks ago. I don't have a lot of experience yet, but I just wanted to say that I know I'm going to have loose skin. But all I really want out of this is to look good WITH clothes on. If my shrinkles become a big self-esteem issue, I'll deal with that when it happens. For now, I just want to be healthy and walk out the door looking and feeling my best. That's the goal, anyway.

I started at the same weight' date=' and was banded almost 4 weeks ago. I don't have a lot of experience yet, but I just wanted to say that I know I'm going to have loose skin. But all I really want out of this is to look good WITH clothes on. If my shrinkles become a big self-esteem issue, I'll deal with that when it happens. For now, I just want to be healthy and walk out the door looking and feeling my best. That's the goal, anyway.[/quote']

"Shrinkles"--LOVE it! :)

I started at the same weight, and was banded almost 4 weeks ago. I don't have a lot of experience yet, but I just wanted to say that I know I'm going to have loose skin. But all I really want out of this is to look good WITH clothes on. If my shrinkles become a big self-esteem issue, I'll deal with that when it happens. For now, I just want to be healthy and walk out the door looking and feeling my best. That's the goal, anyway.

Face it, more people see us with our clothes on, than with our clothes off (I don't think this board is has a high population of strippers or nudists.). The people who see us in the later state usually aren't as concerned with a little loose skin. The only loose skin that really bothers me (at this time) are the neck waddles and I will deal with that when the time comes.

I have high hopes that my loose skin will tighten up as i lose the weight. I Have lost 45 pounds (with out the surgury) since 2008 and havent had any problems so far. I Never really paid attention to the changes but compairing 2 pictures its like worlds apart. I can wait too see what happens when I drop another 100 or so from the surgury, eating changes, and exercise.

post-208361-13813134759176_thumb.jpg post-208361-13813134759633_thumb.jpg

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and words of encouragement

post-348912-13813141121471_thumb.jpg

post-348912-13813141121674_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum! I agree with everyone, we've all been there, done that.

You will find a lot of support and inspiration here.

I too, would rather hide my loose skin, than lug all this fat around. Fat can kill you, loose skin can't.

Learn all you can about LBS and you'll do great!

the other posters hit the nail on the head for me.

welcome and congrats on making a great decision.

i started out at your weight (336) so yes, it can be done.

sure i know some saggy skin will occur, i am down with that as i'd rather have that then be afraid of breaking chairs..eating.. you can eat what you want (but in smaller amounts) and i almost bet that once you see how much better you feel, those (i cant eat no more foods) will be a thing of the past..is for me and i had a mcdonalds gold card and should own coors light..but that is another story...

so the first step is took

you made decision to have surgery

so do it...and get on with your life.

do what you have to do to make it work.

you can do this if you want to.

I totally hear you about breaking chairs! That's still one of my current fears. Also, worried about work meetings and will the chairs have arms or not, or can I fit at the movies, will I have to push the table out when sitting in a booth and everyone pretend they don't notice.... I flew to MX for my surgery and bought two seats just in case. Next time I fly I definitely won't do that again!

shrinkles is about the best thing I've ever heard.