Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No more fills

Even at 2 months post op I'm pretty sure I don't want any more fills..I've only had one and I have 3 cc's in my band right now. Time and time again I have read about too tight, reflux, getting stuck, not being able to eat foods like fruit and salad and I just don't want to go that route. I know that not everyone at restriction has problems and that some are doing great and I'm truly happy for them. I think for me personally, I can and will continue the way I am. I know some people say it's just a diet without restriction but I'm really okay with that. Next week I have an appointment with my surgeon for a fill and I will "fill" him in on my plan! No offense meant to anyone, I'm just sayin' :)

The truth is the matter is, what doctor's mean by "restriction" isn't at all what patients often (incorrectly) mean by restriction. Dr. Simpson explains it very clearly:

"When talking about the band, some patients talk about restriction. Let's first be clear about one thing: the purpose of the band is not restriction; the purpose of the band is to lose weight by suppressing the appetite.

When band professionals talk about restriction we are talking about something totally different than "restricting what a person eats." In fact, many band surgeons avoid talking about restriction so as to not confuse patients. The band works by dimming the appetite, and this provides a conscious control and decision made by the patient, it does not work by "making" a person do something, or keep them from eating too much."

Too often band patients expect the band to stop them from eating. They keep going in for fill after fill until they can't eat and as a result end up too tight. It's these same people that also end up talking about a swollen esophagus, dilated pouches, and slips.

Your approach is totally logical and realistic. You're not expecting your band to do things it's not supposed to do and you're mindful of the problems that can occur if you're too tight. Not to mention, it's your band and your body. You're smart to take control and be clear as to what you want as well as what you don't want.

I think you're doing great :)

Thank you Missy!! You continue to be an inspiration to me, you totally rock! :)

I agree with Missy! She does rock! My band isn't about restriction either. I hate getting things stuck. There isn't much that I can't eat now, and the band doesn't tell me when to stop eating either. I just follow the rules as much as possible. I also don't deprive myself of something if I really want it either. Life is too short for me not to have chocolate....:)

I think I can speak for many here and say that none of us want to have another fill. And each of us strive to make the band work with the Fluid already in the band. And many succeed. Carolina GIrl has never had a fill and continues to lose weight as an example. Getting a fill is her backup plan as yours could be as well.

As long as you can make it work, why not?

tmf

Karen, as long as you can manage your new lifestyle and you continue to loose weight then you do not need another fill.

I have my band on the looser side and lost 79 pounds managing it that way. Find what works for you and work it.

You are doing great and have a good plan for yourself.

Hi,

I would recommend not getting to many fills if they are not needed. I had my last fill in June 2010 and am still having issues eating. I thought it would loosen or deflate, it doesn't. Now I am having nutrition issues...low Iron, vit. B1 & 12 as well as others. I'm not sure if this is common but my energy is very low and my basic since of we'll being is not as positive as it should be. Has anyone else experienced these kinds of issues?

Terree

Newly banded (very newly-last Thurs)...and the thought of FILLS scare me. I like the route of taking control of the situation and not relying on fills to do the work. If I need one down the line then that's a different situation but I am glad my Doc is stingy on fills. This getting "stuck" business scares the crap out of me!

I think I can speak for many here and say that none of us want to have another fill. And each of us strive to make the band work with the Fluid already in the band. And many succeed. Carolina GIrl has never had a fill and continues to lose weight as an example. Getting a fill is her backup plan as yours could be as well.

tmf

tmf, thank you for a wonderful compliment, it means alot to me

tmf

100% right on

Hi,

I would recommend not getting to many fills if they are not needed. I had my last fill in June 2010 and am still having issues eating. I thought it would loosen or deflate, it doesn't. Now I am having nutrition issues...low Iron, vit. B1 & 12 as well as others. I'm not sure if this is common but my energy is very low and my basic since of we'll being is not as positive as it should be. Has anyone else experienced these kinds of issues?

Terree

I'm so sorry you are having issues..I can't relate but have you spoken with a nutritionist? Best Wishes.

I'm so sorry you are having issues..I can't relate but have you spoken with a nutritionist? Best Wishes.

Karen,

I am going in to have Fluid taken out of my band next week and for some X-rays. This should be the beginning of getting back on track!

Thanks!

Karen,

I am going in to have Fluid taken out of my band next week and for some X-rays. This should be the beginning of getting back on track!

Thanks!

That's great!! Hope all is well and that is all you need to feel better..Best Wishes! :)

Even at 2 months post op I'm pretty sure I don't want any more fills..I've only had one and I have 3 cc's in my band right now. Time and time again I have read about too tight' date=' reflux, getting stuck, not being able to eat foods like fruit and salad and I just don't want to go that route. I know that not everyone at restriction has problems and that some are doing great and I'm truly happy for them. I think for me personally, I can and will continue the way I am. I know some people say it's just a diet without restriction but I'm really okay with that. Next week I have an appointment with my surgeon for a fill and I will "fill" him in on my plan! No offense meant to anyone, I'm just sayin' :)[/quote']

I totally agree with you my surgery was 11/2012 I have only lost like 25 lbs but I haven't been working out or anything. It's starting to warm up just joined a gym so I'm ready to get the rest of my weight off. But I've only had one fill, had an appointment for another but cancelled because I like where I am I can eat and drink what I want without problems and I like it that way. Have an appointment in March for a fill gonna tell my doc how I feel and make sure all my fluids are still in. Good luck to you.