Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

why do I feel like I'm still on a diet?

I have to track what I eat, I have to limit myself to 1 cup of food, I have to work out like crazy, I have to measure n weigh my food. Will I ever b able to stop eating because I can't eat any more or will I always feel like I could have eaten another cup of food? I feel satisfied with what I'm eating n can last a long time without eating again. So what's the problem? Why do I feel like I'm still dieting?

In my opinion the losing stage is just like any other diet you have been on... With several exceptions. The band is there to help you from over eating at mealtime and because small portions keep you full for longer period of times you are less likely to get frustrated and cheat.

It's simple math... If you burn more calories than you take in you will lose weight. Sounds simple enough but you have to pay attention to the calories because 1 cup of chocolate cake is way worse than a cup of Beans....

As you get to your goal you can relax a bit because you know how much you should be eating and counting calories is second nature. But even during maintenance you have to ay attention to your calories... Unfortunately the band didnt magically change our ability to gain weight.

Because you are. In order to lose weight you have to consume fewer calories than what you burn. It will be a bit different when you are just trying to maintain your weight, but until then it is a diet. This is actually how most normal weight people eat. They don't eat until they are stuffed at every meal or eat high calorie foods day in and day out. That's why it is absolutely necessary to learn how much is enough, to listen to your body and the signals it gives you, how to say no, and realize that you don't have to eat until you can't hold anymore just because it tastes good. I keep telling myself that food is fuel for my body and not just to give me pleasure. It's like a car - if the price of gasoline drops, I don't go and fill my car up for the sake of getting a good deal and letting the tank overflow, I only go if my car needs gas.

I am 2 years out, reached my goal last summer and still weigh, measure and log everything I eat. I have accepted that I will have to do this forever if I want to keep the weight off. There's no going back for this girl! In fact, I see the 120's on the horizon! That's something I never expected, my goal was 160 and then changed it to 140.

Because you are. In order to lose weight you have to consume fewer calories than what you burn. It will be a bit different when you are just trying to maintain your weight' date=' but until then it is a diet. This is actually how most normal weight people eat. They don't eat until they are stuffed at every meal or eat high calorie foods day in and day out. That's why it is absolutely necessary to learn how much is enough, to listen to your body and the signals it gives you, how to say no, and realize that you don't have to eat until you can't hold anymore just because it tastes good. I keep telling myself that food is fuel for my body and not just to give me pleasure. It's like a car - if the price of gasoline drops, I don't go and fill my car up for the sake of getting a good deal and letting the tank overflow, I only go if my car needs gas.[/quote']

That's I like that. food for fuel.

I am 2 years out' date=' reached my goal last summer and still weigh, measure and log everything I eat. I have accepted that I will have to do this forever if I want to keep the weight off. There's no going back for this girl! In fact, I see the 120's on the horizon! That's something I never expected, my goal was 160 and then changed it to 140.[/quote']

Wow great job! My goal is 125 n can't imagine it either. I haven't been that weight since high school. Congratulations on your accomplishment!

In my opinion the losing stage is just like any other diet you have been on... With several exceptions. The band is there to help you from over eating at mealtime and because small portions keep you full for longer period of times you are less likely to get frustrated and cheat.

It's simple math... If you burn more calories than you take in you will lose weight. Sounds simple enough but you have to pay attention to the calories because 1 cup of chocolate cake is way worse than a cup of Beans....

As you get to your goal you can relax a bit because you know how much you should be eating and counting calories is second nature. But even during maintenance you have to ay attention to your calories... Unfortunately the band didnt magically change our ability to gain weight.

Then diet it is!

Actually, I'm going to say the opposite of everyone else! When I decided to get the band, I also decided that I'd never be on another diet again. Counting stuff was so against my decision to get banded. For the first 4 mths, I felt no change and ate just like I had previously. After my 3rd fill, however, I started feeling really satiated on a few bites of food. YEAH! Finally it worked!

During the active losing phase, I lost about 6-8 lbs a month, eating anything I wanted to, just in really small portions (example: Taco Bell - 1/2 of a bean burrito is all I could eat, Olive Garden - 1/4 of an entree, 1/4 bowl Soup, no breadstick). I figured counting anything (calories, fat grams, WW points) would negate my decision to get the band in the first place. I know alot of people will argue with my concept, but it worked for me.

Until....my band slipped about a year ago. Don't ignore frequent vomiting. After unfills/fills/tweaks to my band, I have so-so restriction, but not like it used to be. So after gaining 20 lbs in the past year, I've succombed to the DIET. I figure it'll give me a boost in my loss and maybe teach me healhtier eating practices. I've prided myself on never dieting, eating what I wanted and still losing over 100 lbs. Now I'm among the ranks of the dieters. I started Atkins Induction on Feb 1st and have lost 8 lbs! The first 3-4 days I was really cranky, going off of carbs. But now I find that at least what I'm craving (pineapple and grapes) is healthier than candy and cookies! I wou;d've killed someone for a cookie!

Point is, there will eventually come a time when you get proper restriction (no clue how many fills you've had so far) and the band will start working for you. Counting stuff is up to you. You'll probably be healthier in the long run if you count calories, WW points, etc - but that would've driven me crazy! You're band will eventually tell you when you've had enough (and you'll be amazed at how little that is!) and if you push it past that point - run for the bathroom. But I'm warning you now - DON'T DO THE FREQUENT VOMITING. Learn to listen to your band, chew thouroughly, eat very slowly, and never drink with your meals. You won't have stuck issues and you won't have the vomiting issue, like I had.

Good luck in your endeavor!

Marci

I agree with Marci in that while I had a functioning band, I didn't ever really 'diet'. I lost weight via eating only when I was hungry, eating slowly and when I felt satisfied, I stopped. I didn't actually count calories, avoid carbs or measure food. When I had good restriction I could eat only the same amount as my then 3yo (and often less!) and therefore what I did was eat good food. Because I could eat so little, I wanted to make sure it was good quality. I still had the odd bit of junk food but couldn't eat more than one drumstick of KFC so it didn't really make that much of a difference. But between KFC and a nicely cooked piece of salmon, it was a no-brainer.

And when I had good restriction I rarely felt hunger. If I ate, I was full enough that things like ice cream and other sliders usually didn't even appeal to me.

To me, that's when the band works well. When it makes you want to choose good food because you can't only eat so little of it. And eating keeps you satisfied for a long time.

My band is no longer working (leaking) and now I'm dieting. I calorie count and journal my food and exercise, and I do that simply to not put on any more weight than I did in the first 7 months of my leak. But when the band was working, I didn't have to do all those things, and I maintained at my 'stable' weight for over 3 years, which was a BMI of 23. So I know it was the band that helped me with Portion Control, or else I wouldn't have to work so hard now.

I didn't 'do' Protein shakes (I still don't), I exercised regularly and the band did the rest. I did get frequent fills until I got to restriction, and once there, it was easy. I miss how easy it was!

oh lello, sorry to hear you are still having problems. Not good! Are they going to try and do anything for you/

Thanks Holly! I've had two ops to try to fix it in the last year but I'm still leaking. I'm hoping for a full band replacement this time, so hopefully third times a charm.

3rd time WILL be the charm!!! Good luck, don't know what I would do without my band!