Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgeon has not instructed me to go on a liquid diet before my surgery (in 18 days- eek!), but has instead advised me to start supplementing Protein Shakes for one or two meals starting two weeks before the operation. Has anyone else experienced this? I was under the impression that I would be put on a strictly liquid diet, but that isn't the case. Anyone?

My doc had no pre-op diet at all.

I had no pre-op diet either. All the Drs are different.

Another bander with no pre-op diet. I would encourage you to start trying the Protein Shakes out though. I tried a bunch before I found one that was not gross. It will help you if you are prepared for the post op diet.

I am on week 2 of my pre-op diet and it is similar. I can have some food and a couple of Protein Shakes. My birthday is next week, before my surgery and my surgeon said I could eat what I wanted that day. So, I guess we are all different.

My doctor had me on a no carb diet 2 weeks prior to surgery.

My doc was very strict. 2 week preop, Clear Liquids and Protein Shakes. It was brutal but it did prepare me for post op restrictions and diet....oh and I lost a ton of weight too. Jump start! Good luck!

Medical fasting shakes...Optifast.

The doctor gave me some suggestions for the shakes, but also told me that I could choose whatever kind I wanted as long as it was high in Protein, low in carbs and sugars. The powder I bought is called Precision Engineered whey Protein Isolate. It has 25g of protein, less than 1g of sugar and carbs. We'll see how it works out! :) Thanks everyone for your input.

It's funny how different and varied things seem to be from doctor to doctor. My doctor doesn't seem to be as strict as most others either. I was on a two week pre op diet but it wasn't liquids only. It was 2 Protein Shakes, 2 fresh fruits, and a smart ones dinner each day then the day before the surgery clear liquids only.

I'm having surgery on 2/28. Pre-Op diet for me as well.. 2 Protein Shakes & one meal a day beginning 2/15.... Wish me luck???

@GETNBAND I'm having my surgery on the 28th also... BAND BUDDIES! :D

Thanks everyone for your input and well wishes. :)