Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight stays off long after lap band surgery (study)

More good news about the effectiveness of the band. Take note that this study specifically targeted people who followed the band rules, followed up with their doctors, and changed their lifestyles to healthy ones.

Also note only 5% had to have their bands removed and weight loss was comparable to Gastric Bypass.

Further proof we are responsible for our own success or failure with the band.

________________________________________________________________________________

MONASH U. (AUS) — Gastric banding is safe and effective for managing obesity long-term, according to a study of patients 10 to 15 years after their surgeries.

The study, the longest and most comprehensive yet reported, appears in the Annals of Surgery, and finds a significant number of laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding (lap banding) patients maintained an average weight loss of 26 kilograms for more than a decade after their procedure.

Researchers analyzed the results in 3,227 patients who had gastric banding surgery in Australia between 1994, when the procedure was first introduced, and 2011. The patients in the study were averaged at 47 years-of-age and 78 percent were women.

Of those patients, 714 had surgery at least 10 years ago and, on average, had maintained a weight loss of 26 kilograms, or almost half of their excess weight.

The weight loss results were similar for the 54 patients in the study who had undergone treatment at least 15 years ago.

“These results show that when you have a significant problem with obesity, a long-term solution is available,” says Professor Paul O’Brien of the Centre for Obesity Research and Education at Monash University in Melbourne.

“This surgery is safe and effective, and it has lasting benefits. Substantial weight loss can change the lives of people who are obese—they can be healthier and live longer.”

O’Brien says there are also important ramifications for the control of type 2 diabetes, which was strongly associated with being overweight.

“In obese patients with type 2 diabetes, weight loss after gastric banding can lead to effective control of blood sugar levels without the need for medication in about three-quarters of cases,” O’Brien says.

The patients included in the study had followed the rules of their treating team regarding eating, exercise, and activity and committed to returning permanently to the aftercare program.

All the surgery was performed by O’Brien, an international pioneer of the technique, and Associate Professor Wendy Brown, President of the Obesity Surgery Society of Australia and New Zealand.

There were no deaths associated with the surgery or with any later operations that were needed in about half of the patients. About one in 20 patients had the band removed during the study period.

“In treating a chronic disease such as obesity over a lifetime, it is likely that something will need to be corrected at some time in some patients,” says O’Brien.

“The study shows a marked reduction of revisional procedures with the introduction of the new version of the Lap-Band 6 years ago. Importantly, those who had revisional surgery lost as much weight in the long term as those who did not need it.”

The report also included a comparison of gastric banding—which can be done as a day-surgery procedure—and more invasive types of weight-loss surgery such as gastric bypass that are high risk and require longer hospital stay. The weight loss with gastric banding, and the need for future revisional surgery, was similar to that with gastric bypass.

“Access to weight-loss surgery in Australia remains severely limited for many obese patients as relatively few cases are treated within the public health system. We are working hard to improve access,” says O’Brien.

“We have ample evidence that weight-loss surgery is effective, and it is unfair that half of eligible patients cannot be treated, particularly as it has been shown that gastric banding is a highly cost-effective health care measure. The stigma of obesity, and the assumption that it is the person’s fault, entrenches discrimination against people who could benefit.”

find the original article here: http://www.futurity....p-band-surgery/

Thanks for sharing Missy! I plan to share this with one of the surgeons who tried to convince me to get a bypass! :)

Thank you Missy, I needed a positive post!

I know I am in the minority sometimes but I am a firm believer that the band is as successful as you want it to be. I see people saying their doctors tell them they may only lose ______ lbs with the band and I get so frustrated. That logic doesnt even make sense to me.

Yes... I know I am at the end of my losing journey and yes... it took 23 months to reach my goal but I did it and now the band is helping me control my eating so it stays off... and I didnt have to realign my bodily systems to get the results.

I know I am in the minority sometimes but I am a firm believer that the band is as successful as you want it to be. I see people saying their doctors tell them they may only lose ______ lbs with the band and I get so frustrated. That logic doesnt even make sense to me.

Yes... I know I am at the end of my losing journey and yes... it took 23 months to reach my goal but I did it and now the band is helping me control my eating so it stays off... and I didnt have to realign my bodily systems to get the results.

I couldn't agree with you more!! Whenever someone asks about the amount you can lose with the band my response is always "as much as you're willing to commit to losing". I get so frustrated when I hear surgeons (falsely) tell people they'll only lose 40% of their excess weight because it's simply not true if the person is willing to do what it takes to lose more.

This study validates what I (and you!) have been saying all along- you can lose just as much with the band as with bypass if you're will to make the necessary changes and work with your band.

I get so frustrated when I hear surgeons (falsely) tell people they'll only lose 40% of their excess weight because it's simply not true if the person is willing to do what it takes to lose more.

My surgeon set my goal at the average excess weight loss, and then said this is pretty much guaranteed if you follow the program, once you get here, we decided what your next goal will be. He also uses his nurse as an example of what the band is cable of since she lost all of her excess weight and is cute blond hottie.

thanks for sharing

after (reading negs) its nice to know that there are success stories out there

Absolutely, I agree it is wonderful to see positive press! I have my ups/downs with maintenance, but could not be happier! :wub:

I am 2 years out, and have been at my goal.....my Dr. tells me because it is lifestyle, as as long as I continue in that lifestyle (rest of my life?) my body will stop loosing when it feels it is ready to...in other words, things will reach a normal state...and stay there.....

Anything can happen I suppose, but I cannot imagine gaining my weight back...as long as the band remains intact...and the only way I can imagine the band changing is if I encounter some sort of Medical Issue, and the band would need to be modified, unfilled, or removed....

As far as averages....it is just that...an average...meaning there is a high side - 100% weight loss, and a low side....complete failure, for SOME reason not specified....so in the middle you have an average...and that is what you are told...an AVERAGE.....

Can anyone tell me where i can find sample menus of what to eat so that i can be sucessfull with the band? I keep reading on diffrent topics the band rules but i am a little confused on what they are. my nutrionist was not very helpful she gave me the first couple of days what to do after surgery but nothing long term.

Can anyone tell me where i can find sample menus of what to eat so that i can be sucessfull with the band? I keep reading on diffrent topics the band rules but i am a little confused on what they are. my nutrionist was not very helpful she gave me the first couple of days what to do after surgery but nothing long term.

There really isn't a specific menu, just healthy food in band sized portions.

I see you're not banded yet, so I would suspect your nutritionist will go through daily living and eating after surgery. Initially she probably just wanted to get you through the post op phases. Definitely make another appointment with her.

I have been banded over SEVEN YEARS and have maintained my size. I never state how much I lost or what I weigh. To me it is all about size and how I feel and my heath with regards to high blood pressure and diabetes (all normal now). Those are the most important numbers for me. Now I did have to change the way I eat and resort to healthier meals. Also increase activity (I did not say exercise, I hate it). One of the biggest lessons I have learned is I still have issues with regard to what caused me to get banded in the first place. I still have the same brain as I did before I was banded. However and this is a big one, the band has helped me keep it in check, not always, but enough to maintain my size six. I still overeat, soft foods like cheesecake and banana cream pie go down so easily. I have to remember not to weigh myself constantly (it has been 3 mos. since I weighed myself). Size 6 pants still fit. Not to diet, but keep track of what I am consuming so I know how much Protein and Fiber I am taking in, notice I didn't say carbs. Weighing myself every day and watching carbs and doing exercise and dieting all the time is what caused my obesity in the first place. I do have to say the first year was a committment to lose the weight and get to good restriction. After that I dealt with adjusting the regimin to what works with my particular imperfect self.

Great study and I was given a copy of this by Professor O'Brien ( wonderful wonderful man).

It's like with anything, if you stick to the rules and follow directions it works.

It's good to know studies are conducted about long term results. I know personally it helps keep me positive also. Unfortunanley there are some people that have complications through no fault of their own but studies like this show when everything is working as it should and the patient and aftercare team work together the results speak for themselves.