Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 6 first lesson learned!

Okay well I'm not sure if my surgeons nurse is on vacation or not because I emailed her about moving off the liquid phase and into phase two of their diet which includes mushy and pureed foods on Monday and have not heard back from her. I'm proceeding on since the clinic actually gave me the paperwork to follow, I was just being a little more thorough and double checking with her before I actually started it yesterday but my stomach over ruled her yesterday when I didn't hear back and I cautiously moved on.

Thus far I have tried very runny mashed potatoes and my stomach loved it as well as malt o meal. I do have to say just the tiniest amount of malt o meal filled me up very fast though. My big lesson learned came today. I introduced myself to potted meat. I handled it okay, but I think I have now experienced my first round of overeating. I went to the grocery store and I was hungry before I left. By the time I got home I was starving. I got home and popped open the can of potted meat and mixed in 2 tsp. of light mayo and slowly ate it. I did rush it and I actually stopped eating before I got to the end of the can. I probably had about 5 bites left out of the can (my nutritionist suggested I eat with a baby fork and spoon to help retrain myself with portion controls...my wife loves to poke fun at me with my Cars baby fork and spoon set!) After stopping I could feel slight nausea but I never threw up. I took some Gas X and went to lay down for awhile. Took about an hour nap and just got up a half hour ago and still don't feel all that great. This is my first experience with food since being banded that has left me feeling kinda icky. I'm thankful for not vomiting but I think I came real close. I was real close to grabbing the anti nausea pills my doc provided me after my operation. I did enjoy the potted meat and I don't think I'll give up on it, just think maybe I'll go for 1/4 of the can or 1/2 for a serving for my next meal instead. Learning portions is going to be difficult.

Portion Control is hard to get used to, but you can do it! It's all about listening to your body and stopping when you feel satisfied. It was really hard for me to only take 2 or 3 bites and push the food away, but I don't like making myself sick or feeling bloated and gassy or overstuffed. Trust me, it's not worth it!! :)

Are you weighing your Protein? My doctor says 3 oz. I understand you are following orders. How many days post op are you. I was not allowed mushies until day 15 and that was yogurt. Canned meat not until day 21. Everyones body is different so even if your doctor okayed canned meat your body may not be ready.

Be careful you are still healing inside. Be vigilant of what you put in your mouth and if you feel like progressing into phases be careful, that you won't get stuck or hurt yourself. I was allow mushiness after 14 days and that is yogurt, tuna, cottage cheese. sometimes, taking chases might no be worth it. All the best to you.

Yep - there will be more lessons but you are doing great.

The only suggestion I would have is not to lay down...keep upright, walk, and let gravity help you pass the food.

Oh - and you might want to invest in some Papaya Enzyme. It is a chewable supplement (Walmart Vitamin aisle) and it helps break down food quickly. It has saved me many times from "renting" my food. ;)

Are you weighing your Protein? My doctor says 3 oz. I understand you are following orders. How many days post op are you. I was not allowed mushies until day 15 and that was yogurt. Canned meat not until day 21. Everyones body is different so even if your doctor okayed canned meat your body may not be ready.

I am 6 days post op. I am going by the sheet I was given by my doctor's surgical nurse. I was suppose to have a 5 day post op appointment with my doctors nurse but I've yet to get ahold of her. I'm not quite sure what to think of all that. Right now I'm sort of just doing the best I can with what they have given me. I kind of feel a little lost at the moment. I don't have a lot of direction at the moment and I'm just sort of doing what I feel my body is capable of and what they listed on their 5-15 day food phase. There is no mention of weighing anything, it only lists what type of food to eat while in the phase. I am tracking total amount of Protein intake and calories and of course my Water intake. Until someone from my doctors office tells me otherwise I don't really know what else to do.

Be careful you are still healing inside. Be vigilant of what you put in your mouth and if you feel like progressing into phases be careful, that you won't get stuck or hurt yourself. I was allow mushiness after 14 days and that is yogurt, tuna, cottage cheese. sometimes, taking chases might no be worth it. All the best to you.

I'm being as careful as I can. I wish I had a little more verbal guidance right now but I don't. I'm working with the documentation my clinic provided me and doing what I can. I am going to call tomorrow and find out when I can expect my first follow up visit to be from the surgery. A little counseling would be nice.

Thank you all for the advice, I really do appreciate it. This board has helped me a lot since getting banded. There is vast knowledge here ;)

Strickly my opinion but you are very soon from surgery to have very full feeling after eating. Personally I would either measure your Protein or step back from mushies like canned meat. I would try Greek yogurt, cottage or ricotta cheese.

Many on here were on Clear liquids for 7 days then full liquids for another 7. Personally I would eat more servings of soft mushies rather than fewer servings of firmer mushies.

Again just my opinion.

I'll probably heed that advice on the meats for awhile. I seem to be fine with the thinned out mashed potatoes and runny Beans. I didn't like how I felt from the meat so I am going to shelve them for a bit. I am going to try out yogurt and cottage cheese today. I think I may run the cottage cheese through the blender first though. Should I?

I did not but they were not on my approved list until day 15. Couldn't hurt.

Sorry but what is "potted meat"? What is the texture? Even with alittle mayo it was probably a little to aggressive to start that yet.

Do you have a nutrisionist? They can help greatly! Whether it be what to eat an Portion Control. Worth checking out.

6 days post-op....hate to say it but it is going to get rougher before it get's better.....

I was convinced I wasted my time and effort going through all this...kicked a lot of garbage cans, etc....

It took me at least 4 months before I could tell a REAL change taking place....something totally different than traditional dieting.....

As far as hunger...a big lesson I learned is to differentiate between " Head Hunger" and genuine hunger.....or understanding the signals the band was sending me....

But early on the band ws not speaking to me all that much, if at all.....

After a few months, a few fills, and learning to "listen" to my band....I can now say I am very rarely hungry anymore....

But don't worry...this thing really does work! REALLY!

just spoke with my doctors nurse. I'm doing things right I guess. I was told use some common sense obviously and if the mushy foods are upsetting to me back off which is what I did. I do have a nutritionist but sadly I can't afford to drop a copayment anytime I want to consult her with questions. A lot of this will have to come from me doing the best I can and trial and error. My wife has a little bit of nursing background so she is a big help but for the most part I can't run to the doctor every time I need some guidance. I wish I could though. Obviously I'll keep up with my band and the regular check ups with it and fills but I can't honestly say I'll be able to keep my nutritionist in my back pocket like some folks can.

just spoke with my doctors nurse. I'm doing things right I guess. I was told use some common sense obviously and if the mushy foods are upsetting to me back off which is what I did. I do have a nutritionist but sadly I can't afford to drop a copayment anytime I want to consult her with questions. A lot of this will have to come from me doing the best I can and trial and error. My wife has a little bit of nursing background so she is a big help but for the most part I can't run to the doctor every time I need some guidance. I wish I could though. Obviously I'll keep up with my band and the regular check ups with it and fills but I can't honestly say I'll be able to keep my nutritionist in my back pocket like some folks can.

I think most doctors would rather you call when in doubt rather than not. This is new we have questions that need to be answered don't be afraid to call. That what the nutritionist and my doctor told me. I understand about the trail and error part because we are all different and heal different. Good luck!