Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm a newbie and I have a few questions

Hey everyone, OK so I was banded 12.19.12 and I did very well on my shakes and mushies. I got my first fill 1.30.13 so here are some of my questions that I didn't have at the time of my fill or else I would have asked my doctor. Ok so first off, I always here people say " getting stuck" what does that really mean? Is it food being stuck going thru the band or is it a stuck feeling after you've swallowed? Because I have had a stuck feeling after I've swallowed and it hurt very bad, it came back up once but that was it, I'm guessing it's because I probably did't chew enough...

Ok question #2 how do you know when you really have restriction? what does it feel like or what are the clues that you know for sure your restricted?

Also what are some food you cannot handle or keep down? I've figured out I cannot eat corn tortillas, It just wasn't happening for me, maybe that falls into the bread section?? I have not tried to eat any bread at all, I do have somewhat of a sensitive stomach due to having my gallbladder removed before my band, I also have no touched red meat at all.

I know some of these questions may be stuff I should already know, But all my info has mainly come from this site and of course my doctor. Also when do you know you need to have a fill? For my first fill my doctor put in 5cc and at first I really didn't notice too much of a change, and I don't have that tight feeling some people talk about in the morning, But I am eating about a cup of food and I do stay full for hours, sometimes I'm not even hungry at all but I know not to skip a meal so I'll drink a Protein Shake instead.

Anyway thank you all in advance, I hope some of you older banders can help me figure this all out because support is key and I honestly don't know anyone else who is banded to ask these questions to. And I know everyone is different but any advice would be very much helpful!

Congrats sounds like your doing well..for me getting stuck is after swallowing too big of a bite so after swallowing..relief comes after passing thru the band. Restriction for me is being full and staying full on a cup of food and it lasting at least four hrs till next meal...sounds like your there! When I get a fill its because I'm not full on a cup of food and get hungry in less than four hrs. In my experience it seemed after I lost weight each month around ten lbs I wld feel less restricted and would get a fill approximately every 4-5 wks. I've been at maintenance weight for abt six weeks hadn't had a fill in abt two months and I still feel good restriction. Good luck on a successful journey sounds like your going great!

I don't have answers to your questions but I was banded around the same time and just wanted to wish you the best! My first fill was 4cc and I am not feeling restricted at all. It is a struggle not to eat more than a cup, because I definitely could. Good luck!

For me stucks is I swallow and then tightness happens and I can't get anything else down. Some times I will PB (productive burp) and the food will come back - I spit it out and I'm fine. Sometimes I eventually goes through.

Restriction isn't really a filling of tightness. It's is more I eat one cup of food and can go 4-5 hours before getting hungry again.

As for food that are no no's - you should be able to eat what you want, but should be making healthy choices. Some people, myself included, find eating doughey break a problem. Tough meats are also difficult. That being said unless you are taking small bites and chewing well anything can be a problem.

I tend not to eat pork or steak because I can't get it tender enough. I do eat chop steak, which is extra fine ground beef. Some people though never have an issue with any foods, so it really depends on you.

Good luck.

What is being stuck? Stuck is something you will definitely know it is happening. To me, it's like everything in the world no longer matters except the feeling of this block in my throat. My voice even pitches down and I can barely talk. The result is either it finally goes down or I get a lot of saliva built up and it flushes it out (i.e. Pb'ing or slime city lol).

What can I eat? I can eat almost everything. I just have to chew at least 20 times per chew. When I was too tight, I couldn't eat bread and many solids without pain.

When to get a fill? The band isn't meant to put a chokehold on your stomach (aka restriction) but to free you from that all day hunger which many of us were prisoners to before we got our lap band. The key is: When you start getting hungry within 4 hrs., time for a fill.

Thank you all so much!! This info really helps =] from what you guys say, I've totally had a stuck episode and it was horrible and I spit it back up after a pb yikes! But now I know I must chew chew chew. Again thanks to everyone. Good luck to you all as well!!

hi my name is jenny ive been banded for almost a year march 30 2012 lost 80 pounds i didnt feel restriction till my 6 th fill and after you swallow a large amount u will feel your chest get tight that bc your food is having a hard time getting through the band or the wrong kind of food is trying to pass either let it pass by drinking room temperture pinapple juice or it will come back up

room temp pineapple juice really?? Good to know thanks jenc87 but how does that help other then drinking Water?

ive went to group thearpy and they have all said that it helps the food slide down as Water is just plain water it will just sit there also hot tea in the morning right when u wake with honey will help tons wait an hour start eating perrrrfect Breakfast with all your chewing in use and small portion good to go and no trip to the bathroom i did that and went to a steak house i must say i ate pretty good that day with no intruption and i have 8 fills ;) good luck !!!

i am in your boat. i was banded november 2nd and had my first fill december 11th then my 2nd fill january 8th. going for my 3rd next week. i used to get stuck all the time. i would take a regular size bite of food and eat too fast and it would get stuck right in my chest. about a minute later i would throw up. it was happening all the time. i now eat very slow and take small bites. i no longer get stuck and throw up. i had to tell my brain that i had to chew 20 times before i swallowed. and i always wanted that one last bite. well that one last bite would make me throw up. when you start to feel it, you will know to stop. however my problem is i feel i have no restriction now that i eat slow and small bites. after reading all the comments i didn't know that you were only supposed to eat a cup of food and have it last 4 hours. i can eat 2 chicken strips slowly but i still get hungry after a few hours. i have learned i can basically eat whatever i want i just have to eat it slow with small bites and chew very well. i am hoping with my next fill i will have the satisfied feeling. i eat way more than one cup of food per setting. reasoning why i am frusterated with not seeing much results. how much weight have you lost so far..

80 pounds he wants me to go back valentines day but i gotta think about that one i wanna enjoy valentines not suffer through it after you have more fills maybe around ur 5 or 6 your going to feel even more resctriction even if you did all the band rules such as chewing slow and chewing 20 times i was to frustrated each time i went my weight loss kept going lower lower and lower now im losing 6 to 10 pounds a mth :) and for the moment not excersing as much just regular walking in my small group of ppl that know i have the band is my parents and bf no one elso knows for reason being ppl that dont have it dont understand and judge a lil harshly i had one aunt tell me if i did choose to have the band i should consider doing it on my own first its like wow if i did that maybe we wouldnt be having this conversation if you dont mind me asking what made you decide on the band ?

80 lbs wow good for you.. congrats.. :) i have only lost 14.. i was hoping to see more results by now but i am waiting patiently. ya getting a fill on valentines by would blow.. i was going to get one tomorrow but i remembered it was vday so i made it for next thursday. i have to drive 3 hours to get my fills, one way.. i am sick of the drive the cost of it.. hoping this one will be it for quite awhile.. 6-10 lbs a month is awesome.. i can not wait for that. i have been stuck on 14lbs for about a month now. yes people can judge harshly. i wasn't sure if i wanted to tell people or not but i live in a very small town and ppl know everything so i decided i would rather tell ppl then try to hide it because i wanted to be proud of my decision but if i lived in a big city where no one knew me then i wouldn't tell anyone.. i haven't announced it to the world but i have told a lot of ppl.. my good friends and the teachers i work with at school all know.. i decided to get the lap band because for one my parents and family have a lot of health issues that run in the family and they are overweight as well so for health reasons i wanted to get it. i wanted to be happy.. i am sick of being overweight.. sometimes i have back pain and i never used to have it but in the past year i have gained quite a bit.. about 4 years ago i started the Atkins diet and i became obsessed with working out.. i mean that's all i did.. i was running 4 miles with flights of stairs everyday, i was doing zumba, i was lifting weights, i was doing a turbo kick classes that's all i did.. well i have lost 70lbs and i kept it off for years but i was hardcore workout and then i started taking care of my grandma so the times for working out didn't work so i stopped and i slowly gained it all back so i am back to my oringial weight.. i just knew i would never ever get that motivated again and i seriously had to work my ass off to lose all that.. i am not getting any younger and losing weight becomes harder with age and it runs in the family.. my mom got the lapband 5 years ago and has lost 125lbs and kept it off so i got to see her journey with the band. basically it came down too health issues, i hate being overweight, i miss wearing my cute clothes haha ;) i am getting married and don't want to be how i am now in a wedding dress. i knew i would never be able to lose the weight without help so i decided why the hell not.. my dad is also going to get the lapband in 8 months.. he was going to come with me and get it but he had a heart attack so he has to wait a year.

14 pouds is great i started off with 11 pounds and i was begging for food lol my hubby poor hubby is all i have to say i told him dont eat infront of me and stay out if my way lol during those first moments it was hard for me just bc ive been over weight for a while up and down with my weight and food has always been there and with the lab band im certain that the weight wnt come back unless i get my self unfilled which i dont intent to unless for surgery i orginaly wanted the sleeve and saw more success but thats perment and with me being young as they put it i might want to have kids and its harder with sleeve bc you cant eat enough and band unfill and ur ready to feed ur baby :) i already have one lil handfull of heaven 2 yrs old and i gained 55pounds with her too boot i have a hernated disk due to being at my highest weight with her im sure once you start getting more fills u will find bread will be out coke wnt go down if they arent already :) if you find one day are a lil to tight i found pato Soup is very good and it went down smoothly and tasted like heaven also if you havent already they have been telling me to take allergy medicine cause of the band were pron to havin more allergys so i take zrytec every day and they pretty much said for life im proud that youre doing well on ur journey my dad to wants the lap band he encouraged me to get it i hope youre dad is doing better and continues on his path as well :) bandster buddie jenny