Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to the group!

Hello everyone!

My name is Shanna. I am almost 36 years old and I live in MA with my husband and almost 2 year old daughter. I have been heavy since college and have never been able to make anything work enough to lose the weight and keep it off. I was a thin healthy child and the "Freshman 15" turned into the "Freshman 40" for me. And steadily over the years, I have gotten bigger and bigger. I have tried many things, and had some good success with Weight Watchers, but it doesn't stay off. My mom had gastric bypass 10 years ago. So last summer I started kicking around the idea of needing to have weight loss surgery myself in order to do it right and keep it off for my lifetime.

Just before Christmas my mom and I attended the first Seminar meeting at my surgeon's office, Dr. Adam Glasgow, East Walpole, MA. It was very informative, and the program they have for the patients is amazing! So I quickly made my 1st consultation appointment and it was on January 11th. Dr. Glasgow thinks I am a great candidate for Banding and that I should have no problem getting insurance approval. My psych and nutrition appointments are both next Tuesday, February 5th. Then I have Pre-Op with Dr. Glasgow and at the hospital on February 25th. My surgery is scheduled for March 5th at 7:30 am. I am excited about taking this step and making this lifelong investment in my health. I want to be around to see my beautiful daughter grow up and I want to eventually add another child to our family. I am also a bit scared of the actual surgery and a bit overwhelmed about the sheer volume of life changes that I need to incorporate following the surgery. But I so want this and I am committed to geting healthy and can't wait for it to start.

Welcome! This is a great site to come to before having surgery! Look at as much as you can and see the questions that are asked frequently so you will have in mind some of the things to expect or not to expect during your journey! Of course every person is different and we all have different experiences, however, some things are pretty common. The people here can be very supportive and helpful! It's great to have a support system that you can rely on! It really is an important part of having success. Good luck with your upcoming appointments, I wish you the best!

Hi Shanna! I just joined here as well! Im from MA too :)

Going to have surgery in may!

Lets buddy up!

Xo

Hi Shanna! I just joined here as well! Im from MA too :)

Going to have surgery in may!

Let buddy up!

Xo

I would love that! What part of MA are you from? This is going to be an incredible journey. I am so ready for it. I want to be active and healthy with and for my daughter. I feel like I am not an active participant in her life right now. :(

I live in Framingham :) how about u?

I want to have a life too! I dont have kids yet, but this is the main reason i want to be healthy! I have pcos, and after months of fertility treatment i finally got pregnant but miscarried at 6weeks! Then after this episode i decided for the surgery.

I'm going to do in Italy (my parents live there) because i heard that here in the area it could take years to be approved, i cant believe how fast ur journey have been! Im envious now lol

I live in Franklin and work in Westborough. So not far at all from Framingham. Do you have health insurance in MA? I am so sorry to hear about your pregnancy difficulties. I really hope that the band and losing weight will fix the problem for you. I had my daughter without diffilculty and I have no idea if I could or couldn't get pregnant again, (we haven't tried yet). But, I don't want to do that to myself and a baby at my weight now. I want to get healthy first and then have another healthy pregnancy and child.

Good luck with having your surgery in Italy! It will be fabulous to travel over there. Yes, my insurance shouldn't be an issue. The surgeon told me I should have no problem, and they must mean it because I have everything booked through the staple removal two weeks after surgery! It's a little overwhelming that it was all booked at the same time and all so fast!

I live in Franklin and work in Westborough. So not far at all from Framingham. Do you have health insurance in MA? I am so sorry to hear about your pregnancy difficulties. I really hope that the band and losing weight will fix the problem for you. I had my daughter without diffilculty and I have no idea if I could or couldn't get pregnant again' date=' (we haven't tried yet). But, I don't want to do that to myself and a baby at my weight now. I want to get healthy first and then have another healthy pregnancy and child.

Good luck with having your surgery in Italy! It will be fabulous to travel over there. Yes, my insurance shouldn't be an issue. The surgeon told me I should have no problem, and they must mean it because I have everything booked through the staple removal two weeks after surgery! It's a little overwhelming that it was all booked at the same time and all so fast![/quote']

Oh how nice, we r very close!

Yes, i have BMC, i never tried to go see a Dr here, my friend had WLS in worcester and it took almost 2 years all the process, plus she "had" to gain a lot of weight to be able to do it.

Yes, i had a hard time with all those fertility problems, but i realized that if havent happened yet is because it was not the right time!

I think im gonna make some calls here lol who knows? Maybe i dont have to wait all this time, plus save some money!

Do you have a smart phone? There's an app that we can chat. Its called KIK?!

I have Harvard Pilgrim and they don't even require a supervised program or anything. I just had to show that I have tried and been successful at losing weight in the last couple of years. That is terrible that it took so long for your friend! My surgeon says if you don't have any of those requirements for supervised dieting, then it should take 6-8 weeks from consult to surgery. And it will be just that for me. I do have a smart phone. I will look for the app. I would call your insurance and see what their requirements are for covering the surgery and see what surgeons they suggest. If they cover Adam Glasgow, I would go with him. He is amazing and the practice and their program is awesome.

Welcome! I am new too. Good luck to you!

I have Harvard Pilgrim and they don't even require a supervised program or anything. I just had to show that I have tried and been successful at losing weight in the last couple of years. That is terrible that it took so long for your friend! My surgeon says if you don't have any of those requirements for supervised dieting' date=' then it should take 6-8 weeks from consult to surgery. And it will be just that for me. I do have a smart phone. I will look for the app. I would call your insurance and see what their requirements are for covering the surgery and see what surgeons they suggest. If they cover Adam Glasgow, I would go with him. He is amazing and the practice and their program is awesome.[/quote']

I called BMC and the lady wasn't much of a help lol but she did say that your Dr accept my insurance, she even gave the number and im going to call them tomorrow!

I have done one weight loss surgery 6years ago (called BIB, where they place a saline infuse ballon inside my stomach for 6 months) and it only didnt work but made me gain so much more weight after removing, so, i guess that will be a "proof" of unsuccessful weight loss, but lots of months of weight watchers?!!!

My bmi just reached 40 :(

Did you really had to go to the seminar before everything or i could just call him straight and book an apt?

Ohhhh i would love to have everything done here! Would same lots $$$$$ and time, plus the stress of finding another doctor here in US to do the follow ups..

I called BMC and the lady wasn't much of a help lol but she did say that your Dr accept my insurance, she even gave the number and im going to call them tomorrow!

I have done one weight loss surgery 6years ago (called BIB, where they place a saline infuse ballon inside my stomach for 6 months) and it only didnt work but made me gain so much more weight after removing, so, i guess that will be a "proof" of unsuccessful weight loss, but lots of months of weight watchers?!!!

My bmi just reached 40 :(

Did you really had to go to the seminar before everything or i could just call him straight and book an apt?

Ohhhh i would love to have everything done here! Would same lots $$$$$ and time, plus the stress of finding another doctor here in US to do the follow ups..

No, I don't believe they require the seminar in order to start the process there. It would be great if you could get it done here and not have to travel so far! You should definitely call them tomorrow and see if you can schedule a consultation appointment, It's awesome that your insurance covers Dr. Glasgow! I have read nothing but good things about him and had an awesome experience with him and his entire staff so far! It sounds like with your BMI and your WW history, you should qualify. The surgery with Dr. Glasgow would be at Norwood Hospital. His office number is 508-668-4400. Good luck with the call tomorrow, I can't wait to hear how it goes!

Finally, some sistas from Massachusetts!!!!!!!!

Hi braziliangirl! Hi shanna!

I was banded 12/17 @ Brockton Hospital by doctors thst satellite from Tufts in Boston. Best thing I ever did. I'm from Easton. My son's best friend lives in Franklin!Easton is southeast of Framingham.

I wish you both a wonderful journey. If I can ever help or answer questions just look me up. Welcome!!!!!!

Banjo257

I will call them at first thing in the morning!

I'm not sure if it really is going to cover the surgery as my health insurance now is towards masshealth (i just canceled my private insurance that i was using for the infertility treatments, ughh - i thought it was just waste of money paying $500 a month if i was approved for mass health. The only thing mass health woulndt cover was infertility, now im sooo mad, why did i have to rush and cancel?!???­)..

Anyways, if my plan wouldn't cover, i will try to buy a new private policy again, if the dr guarantees me that the process could go faster here in US!

I will message u as soon as i have an answer lol

Hi fixerupper!

Didn't mean to leave you out. I saw your name earlier and thought what an awesome screen name! Look at how well you have done so far!

Keep up the great work.

Banjo257

This is the best place for any answers that you have. Welcome!