Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Welcome, Feb Bandsters!

general_antiope
Sign in to follow this  

Rather than have some topics in the main forums I thought I'd start our Feb 2013 group home here. I'm poking around the group settings getting myself acclimated. Please jump in and introduce yourself here!

My name is Kate. I live in the Philly suburbs.

Rather than post a long paragraph about my journey so far, here are the highlights:

• Banded in 2004, 296 lbs, size 20
  • 1 year later, was at 192, size 14
  • Stopped losing weight, took 6 months to realize I had a slow leak
  • Continued getting fills and played with the same 20 - 30 lbs until 2009
  • 2009 had major skin removal - breasts, arms, belt lipectomy (13 lbs of skin removed) 216
  • Had leaking port replaced in the same surgery
  • 1 year post op, weighed 205, size 12
  • Was pretty happy and intended on losing the rest "someday" but enjoyed flatness and ability to eat in moderation
  • Maintained for 2 years
  • March 2011, major leak, no restriction
  • April 2011, tube replaced (up to 210, worked hard NOT to gain, proud of 5 lb net gain)
  • Feb 2012, first pregnancy :)
  • April 2012, tube disconnected, zero restriction. Bad abdominal pain, nobody able to diagnose.
  • Gained 65 lbs in 6 months :( (275 with baby at heaviest) (guess who was tired of fighting food? now add pregnancy hunger...)
  • Dec 2012, saw lap band surgeon - verified band disconnected, no erosion. Now 255
  • Replacement scheduled Feb 2013
  • Want to get to 150 this time!

Vanessa from Tampa, Florida. Scheduled for surgery on Feb 7th! Super excited. This has been a journey of about 3 years to get to this point. I don't plan on looking back! I look forward to sharing my journey and following yours!

Dave from Virginia. Surgery on Feb. 19th. Weigh 285. Want to lose 100 pounds.

I'm Felicia. I live in Michigan. Like Dave, I have surgery tentatively scheduled for February 19. At my heaviest, I was 275. I'm at 244 now. My goal weight is 135. I've struggled with the decision to have wls for years. I'm finally at peace with the decision and can't wait! Like many others, I have concerns about what happens after surgery. However, I know I'm in a much different space than in the past as far as weight loss is concerned. That being said, I also realize that I need the assistance that the lb can offer in my journey. Good luck to everyone! We can do this!!!

Hi! I am Danielle and I have surgery on 2/1 - that is NEXT FRIDAY! AHHH. I am going to be 28, been struggling with weight for 10 years and I am going into this surgery weighing about 260. My goal is about 175. I have tried everything before and always failed the maintenance part. I am ready to make the change with the support of all of you guys! I plan to start doing the couch to 5K once I am all healed and look forward to getting in shape. I seriously don't know what I would do without this website. Creating this group was a great idea!!

Hey! Now that I figured out how to "join the group" I'm posting my reply :) I was perplexed when it told me that I cannot reply to this topic.

Anyways, I'm Crystal from Alabama. Unlike many of you, I don't have a date yet for my surgery, I have to attend a BEGIN class next Tuesday and then they will call and schedule my surgery. I received insurance approval last week after doing a 6 month doc supervised diet. I really can't wait to have this journey even more underway!! Like Felecia, I struggled with the decisions to do WLS. Not sure why you struggled but for me, I was one of those people who felt like I'd be taking the "easy way out" I never thought of it as a tool that helps you along in the journey that you are indeed still the one making the food choices and exercise choices. So back in 2010 I gave this weight loss thing my very best effort...I worked out at Curves, did Zumba 2 times a week, got into fitness bootcamp, did >10 5k's and trained for and finished a half marathon. At my peak, I was working out 4 hours a day and working a fulltime job. It was an incredible year and I learned SO much about myself. I am strong and determined. When I crossed the finish line of that half marathon, it was one of the best days of my life because I had completed something that no one else ever expected me to, but worse than that, I never expected or believed that I could but I did. With God all things are possible! Over that year I lost a little more than 70 lbs. I absolutely breaks my heart to admit that in the last two years since then I have put most of that back on. Its just not realistic for me to live that like that year every year...I mean 4 hours a day? So the last two years I've thought and prayed over this WLS topic and I've done my share of studying and reading up on it. I think I'm pretty well educated in what's about to take place in my life so hopefully there won't be many surprises. I've found Protein Shakes that I like, I've been taking chewable vitamins for about 6 months now, I had my last carbonated beverage May 28...and I'm trying to make conscious efforts to not drink with meals and to take smaller bites and chew alot. I really just can't wait to get back into a routine and see some positive results...I look forward to watching everyone's journey and enjoying encouraging each other along the way! I'm ready to start making myself a "rewards" list for certain milestones along the way and achieving them one by one on the way to the life I've always wanted! Good Luck to all!!

I can't believe I'm just under 3 weeks away from my big surgery day, February 11th. It took me over 2 years to make this decision. In fact, I first met with the surgeon in January of 2011, but I chickened out because of the fear of how drastic the life style changes will be.

I guess my biggest fear is how much this will effect my family. I'm the only one overweight, but we love to eat. Every time we get together, food is a big part of it. We get together to play games, there will be chex mix, brownies, chips and dip, etc. Yesterday the family wanted me to make caramel popcorn. I LOVE caramel. I made it and was okay until I saw the leftover caramel sauce that I had poured onto a tray. There is nothing like that chewy buttery flavor. At the start of making the recipe, I felt strong and that I would be able to make it without even a taste. By the end, I lost my resolve. I have not yet begun my official pre-op diet, but I am trying to ease into it. In my mind I gave myself permission to eat some of the caramel because I "still have time." But I know in my head that I should have been strong enough to resist it. This tells me that I will no longer be able to cook those yummy treats for the family, at least not in the beginning. Overall that is much healthier for all of us, but my family will still want it and I am a pleaser and have a tendency to put them before me all the time. It breaks my heart when I give them what they want.

My other fear is of the exercise. I have a spinal cord injury which limits my exercise ability greatly. I can walk slowly on a treadmill by holding on to the handrails. What if this isn't enough? My doctor has assured me that the trainer will work with me and help me to find things I can do. Water aerobics is one, but I live so far away from a pool that this will be a problem.

My positives are that I want this! I WILL find a way to adapt with the family. My college daughters were all home this weekend and wanted baked potato Soup, filled with cheddar cheese, bacon bits, and sour cream. They can still eat it without it going to their hips! I cooked it for them without being tempted to eat it. I had some pineapple and a Protein Shake and felt completely satisfied. So for regular meals I think I'll be okay. I am confident that I can follow the rules regarding quantity of food. Yes, I know it will be hard, but I can do it. I just have to avoid the sweets. I'm the only one home during the day. Evenings will take the most strength, and my family tells me they will help me, so I'm very optimistic.

I have struggled for 6 years with being basically homebound. I used to be a vibrant energetic person who didn't let anything stop me. The SCI stopped me in my tracks though, and I spend a lot of time in bed, mostly due to pain. I am having a trial for a pain pump on Thursday (January 24th). So I have a lot of hope for 2013. My goal is to get back to living again. At a weight of 270, I get tired from even the most basic activity. I stand for 10 minutes and need to go sit down or lay down. I walk for 5 minutes and can't go anymore. I'm tired of living like this. 6 years is way too long.

For me, this surgery is about feeling better. this surgery is about living my life again. Losing weight will help my pain. Losing weight will help me to function better. Getting the pain pump will help the pain too. I decided that I can't do anything about my injuries, but I can use whatever tools are available to help me get back to living. The lapband and the pain pump are key to my future, and I will make both of them successful. My goal is to weigh 160 at the end, but that is because this is a healthy weight. More than the pounds, I want to just feel better. Losing 100 pounds should give me a big boost.

I look forward to doing this together with all of you. 2013 is our year. We can and will do this. I will need lots of encouragement, so I'm happy to have found this site. Also, I will give lots of support, so please feel friend to become my friend.

You can do this!!! I love to eat, but I want my life back!! Spring will be here, we will all be getting healthy, and feeling good again!! I am sick of feeling miserable all day!!! Been battling the bulge over 20+ years. I teach on my feet, but have to sit down at times, unlike in the past. It's getting worse and time to act!!

So much to reply to! :D Here goes...

Dave from Virginia. Surgery on Feb. 19th. Weigh 285. Want to lose 100 pounds.

Dave, so great to meet you. I'm looking to lose 100 lbs too! Can't wait to start the journey with you.

I'm Felicia. I live in Michigan. Like Dave, I have surgery tentatively scheduled for February 19. At my heaviest, I was 275. I'm at 244 now. My goal weight is 135. I've struggled with the decision to have wls for years. I'm finally at peace with the decision and can't wait! Like many others, I have concerns about what happens after surgery. However, I know I'm in a much different space than in the past as far as weight loss is concerned. That being said, I also realize that I need the assistance that the lb can offer in my journey. Good luck to everyone! We can do this!!!

Hi Felicia! It sounds like you have a good, healthy attitude toward the band. That will absolutely be a great asset in the coming months. What kind of concerns about post op do you have?

Hi! I am Danielle and I have surgery on 2/1 - that is NEXT FRIDAY! AHHH. I am going to be 28, been struggling with weight for 10 years and I am going into this surgery weighing about 260. My goal is about 175. I have tried everything before and always failed the maintenance part. I am ready to make the change with the support of all of you guys! I plan to start doing the couch to 5K once I am all healed and look forward to getting in shape. I seriously don't know what I would do without this website. Creating this group was a great idea!!

Ohh I'm interested in the C25k. I would need to walk, as I have a degenerating lumbar that I had surgery on, but I want to do marathon walking. It's my goal. You and I are about the same weight. I refuse to weigh myself til next Monday, when I start my pre op diet. lol. We'll do it together!

Hey! Now that I figured out how to "join the group" I'm posting my reply :) I was perplexed when it told me that I cannot reply to this topic.

Anyways, I'm Crystal from Alabama. Unlike many of you, I don't have a date yet for my surgery, I have to attend a BEGIN class next Tuesday and then they will call and schedule my surgery. I received insurance approval last week after doing a 6 month doc supervised diet. I really can't wait to have this journey even more underway!! Like Felecia, I struggled with the decisions to do WLS. Not sure why you struggled but for me, I was one of those people who felt like I'd be taking the "easy way out" I never thought of it as a tool that helps you along in the journey that you are indeed still the one making the food choices and exercise choices. So back in 2010 I gave this weight loss thing my very best effort...I worked out at Curves, did Zumba 2 times a week, got into fitness bootcamp, did >10 5k's and trained for and finished a half marathon. At my peak, I was working out 4 hours a day and working a fulltime job. It was an incredible year and I learned SO much about myself. I am strong and determined. When I crossed the finish line of that half marathon, it was one of the best days of my life because I had completed something that no one else ever expected me to, but worse than that, I never expected or believed that I could but I did. With God all things are possible! Over that year I lost a little more than 70 lbs. I absolutely breaks my heart to admit that in the last two years since then I have put most of that back on. Its just not realistic for me to live that like that year every year...I mean 4 hours a day? So the last two years I've thought and prayed over this WLS topic and I've done my share of studying and reading up on it. I think I'm pretty well educated in what's about to take place in my life so hopefully there won't be many surprises. I've found Protein Shakes that I like, I've been taking chewable vitamins for about 6 months now, I had my last carbonated beverage May 28...and I'm trying to make conscious efforts to not drink with meals and to take smaller bites and chew alot. I really just can't wait to get back into a routine and see some positive results...I look forward to watching everyone's journey and enjoying encouraging each other along the way! I'm ready to start making myself a "rewards" list for certain milestones along the way and achieving them one by one on the way to the life I've always wanted! Good Luck to all!!

Crystal, great post! You have done tons of research and thinking, you're going into this experience well informed. And wow, already practicing the band lifestyle? And what a great job on your self motivated diet! You're going to do a fantastic job with this. Kudos to you. :)

I can't believe I'm just under 3 weeks away from my big surgery day, February 11th. It took me over 2 years to make this decision. In fact, I first met with the surgeon in January of 2011, but I chickened out because of the fear of how drastic the life style changes will be.

I guess my biggest fear is how much this will effect my family. I'm the only one overweight, but we love to eat. Every time we get together, food is a big part of it. We get together to play games, there will be chex mix, brownies, chips and dip, etc. Yesterday the family wanted me to make caramel popcorn. I LOVE caramel. I made it and was okay until I saw the leftover caramel sauce that I had poured onto a tray. There is nothing like that chewy buttery flavor. At the start of making the recipe, I felt strong and that I would be able to make it without even a taste. By the end, I lost my resolve. I have not yet begun my official pre-op diet, but I am trying to ease into it. In my mind I gave myself permission to eat some of the caramel because I "still have time." But I know in my head that I should have been strong enough to resist it. This tells me that I will no longer be able to cook those yummy treats for the family, at least not in the beginning. Overall that is much healthier for all of us, but my family will still want it and I am a pleaser and have a tendency to put them before me all the time. It breaks my heart when I give them what they want.

My other fear is of the exercise. I have a spinal cord injury which limits my exercise ability greatly. I can walk slowly on a treadmill by holding on to the handrails. What if this isn't enough? My doctor has assured me that the trainer will work with me and help me to find things I can do. Water aerobics is one, but I live so far away from a pool that this will be a problem.

My positives are that I want this! I WILL find a way to adapt with the family. My college daughters were all home this weekend and wanted baked potato Soup, filled with cheddar cheese, bacon bits, and sour cream. They can still eat it without it going to their hips! I cooked it for them without being tempted to eat it. I had some pineapple and a Protein Shake and felt completely satisfied. So for regular meals I think I'll be okay. I am confident that I can follow the rules regarding quantity of food. Yes, I know it will be hard, but I can do it. I just have to avoid the sweets. I'm the only one home during the day. Evenings will take the most strength, and my family tells me they will help me, so I'm very optimistic.

I have struggled for 6 years with being basically homebound. I used to be a vibrant energetic person who didn't let anything stop me. The SCI stopped me in my tracks though, and I spend a lot of time in bed, mostly due to pain. I am having a trial for a pain pump on Thursday (January 24th). So I have a lot of hope for 2013. My goal is to get back to living again. At a weight of 270, I get tired from even the most basic activity. I stand for 10 minutes and need to go sit down or lay down. I walk for 5 minutes and can't go anymore. I'm tired of living like this. 6 years is way too long.

For me, this surgery is about feeling better. this surgery is about living my life again. Losing weight will help my pain. Losing weight will help me to function better. Getting the pain pump will help the pain too. I decided that I can't do anything about my injuries, but I can use whatever tools are available to help me get back to living. The lapband and the pain pump are key to my future, and I will make both of them successful. My goal is to weigh 160 at the end, but that is because this is a healthy weight. More than the pounds, I want to just feel better. Losing 100 pounds should give me a big boost.

I look forward to doing this together with all of you. 2013 is our year. We can and will do this. I will need lots of encouragement, so I'm happy to have found this site. Also, I will give lots of support, so please feel friend to become my friend.

Cynthia, the fact that you're being so honest with the pitfalls and obstacles is healthy and positive. The family can also adapt to you...after all, although you're the one going through the surgery and weight loss, this will impact them too. You'll be happy and excited, energetic and will be doing more, even with your injuries. And losing the weight will certainly improve many aspects of your current medical issues, I bet! I'll cheer you on, if you'll cheer me on, okay?

You can do this!!! I love to eat, but I want my life back!! Spring will be here, we will all be getting healthy, and feeling good again!! I am sick of feeling miserable all day!!! Been battling the bulge over 20+ years. I teach on my feet, but have to sit down at times, unlike in the past. It's getting worse and time to act!!

My husband is a teacher. Since we've been together I've "helped" him gain 50 lbs :( He was lean when I met him, now he's overweight and tired. He's going back to healthy eating as I go on my post op diet. He also sits more teaching his classes than he used to! What grade do you teach, and subject?

Hi all, I'm Susan from NJ. I'm a retired RN, married and a recent empty nester (3 children). I've done all the preliminary testing, with the exception of a cardiac stress test, which I'm having today. My surgeon required cardiac clearance as well as general medical clearance, because of my age (59). I don't expect any issues with the stress test. Tomorrow I have my final meeting with the surgeon and hope to get a date, at least a tentative one, since my insurance approval has not yet come through, but I don't anticipate trouble there either. I have hypertension, high cholesterol as well as major knee arthritis. I've already had one knee replaced.

I was scheduled to have the other knee done this past November and I came to my senses and cancelled it. I just couldn't do that again with all this weight. I was 80 pounds lighter when I had the first one replace three years ago. I had been on a medically supervised, very low calorie diet for 6 months prior to that and had lost 80 pounds. Three years later, I'm right back to the same weight. A week before that second knee date, I had an epiphany! I was approaching this all wrong and decided that the drastic knee replacement needed to be replaced by bariatric surgery.

Thus my journey into Lapband world started. My goal is to lose 110 pounds, get my blood pressure and cholesterol levels down to normal without medication and avoid having that second knee replaced. My husband is very supportive of my efforts. I've told no one else but my best friend, who is also extremely supportive. My main source of strength is faith in my Lord and Savior. Any other help I need will have to come from my fellow bandsters. I'm so grateful you are here. We're in this for the long haul.

Thanks for listening.

Welcome Susan!!! I know you are looking forward to getting your date in hand and starting the official countdown! I know I can't wait!! I, like you, two years ago shed about 70 lbs and have since put them back on, looking forward to the help the band gives!! Also, I haven't told many people, admittedly I have shared with a few more than you, but I'm single so my family knows and my most treasured and trusted friends. I was very choosy in who I told because I wanted support not judgement :) I have also had to rely on my faith through this because this wasn't an easy decision for me to make, I actually was kicking and screaming through it all lol but I feel like this is where the Lord has led me and I have that amazing peace that passeth all understanding about this procedure. Thats not to say that I won't be anxious as the time approaches..cause I know I probably will be freaking out (I've never had ANYthing done, so this is all uncharted territory for me!) I'm not afraid, I have no phobias or anything, I just really expect to be super nervous going under. Best wishes to you on your stress test today!

Thanks, Crystal......see PM.

Cynthia, thank you for your honesty. We CAN do this. I picked my on screen name to remind me of just that. The older we get, the harder it becomes to lose. We can't stop the clock, but we CAN take control of our eating. Let's all stick together and get this done!