Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

fills to kick in?

So ive heard it takes about 2 weeks for a fill to kick in and Ive also heard it takes a month or so to heal from getting a fill.is this true???

My first fill of 3cc made no difference at all. It caused my stomach to be angry for about 1wk, but I could still eat.

Sometimes it can take several fills before you have enough restriction to be in green zone.

My Dr told me on average anywhere from 4.5 -7 cc for restriction.

I have 7.5 cc in a 10 cc band.

I had 4 fills in total. I first two fills "kicked in" right away... fills three and four took about 2 days before I felt restriction.

I still have great restriction.

You shouldn't have to heal from a fill. If your in pain after getting a fill then there's a problem... if the person doing the fills not able to access your port properly?

I didn't feel any of my fills at all.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 156 lbs

First up, there is no need to heal from a fill. Your doctor may tell you to go on liquids or mushies for a day or two but that is all.

As for how long it takes for a fill to kick in - that varies from immediate to a couple of weeks and also depends on things like how much you already had in your band, how much was added, and sometimes even temperature and other health issues.

For example, my last fill in November seemed to have no effect until about two weeks ago when it seemed that it had come into effect incredibly rapidly. I was even looking for a window in my diary to ask my surgeon for a slight unfill. But it turned out I was also developing a cold and as my cold progressed (still coughing!), my band settled down and I while I definitely have more restriction, I am no longer feeling too tight.

I have the same issue. First fill of 3cc was about two weeks ago and I can't tell any difference at all. I even asked to go back in for additional fill but they insisted I wait the full month. It's very frustrating after coming this far and still having to wait for the band to start working.

Give it time people. The first fill is probably not going to be your green zone. Use your will/want power until you reach restriction.

i dont have any fills but know the band is working

so until i can get a fill , i am eating good foods and eating the allotted amount..i am not depending on the fill to help me lose weight...doesnt make me any better then anyone but i cant use me not having a fill as an excuse to not do what i can to help the band.

I posted this in response to another bandsters question, but it may be applicable here too.

Oh how I wish every office that gave fills had a fluoroscope machine to give them with. My doctor ( whom I REALLY, REALLY like )never had a problem finding the port, but there are advantages to using one. Heres my story about fills. My Doctor's office got the machine about a year after I had been banded. Only after the first fill using flouro, did he confirm what I had been saying for about 5 months... I had NO restriction. Because my band had come undone. Yes, the band had come unsnapped. I knew when it happened. My Dr's first to have this happen with hundreds of bands placed. Dr fixed it asap! Now all his fills are done using the machine....and now, standing up. Never any trouble finding the port. Never ANY pain. He/You can see the restriction as the adjustment happens. Your Doctor can get you so much closer to restriction by looking at it instead of guessing. My insurance, Aetna, pays for my fills. If your self pay, it is more expensive. BUT SO WORTH IT

i dont have any fills but know the band is working

so until i can get a fill , i am eating good foods and eating the allotted amount..i am not depending on the fill to help me lose weight...doesnt make me any better then anyone but i cant use me not having a fill as an excuse to not do what i can to help the band.

I, unfortunately, in 6 years have never been able to have a fill and keep it. For some reason even the smallest amount is not tolerable. I would love to know what it feels like to get in the green zone that everyone is talking about. Unfortunately, that's probably not in the cards for me. However, I know the band is doing it's job. I have been able to keep off weight that I never could before. When I worked with it I lost about 120 pounds, when I didn't, I gained back 40. I think we consume ourselves with wanting and needing fills and sometimes forget about working on eating healthy and Portion Control.< /p>

Thanks guys for all the feed back.I have a 14cc band and I'm at 8cc.somedays I feel im at my green zone,other days I can eat more than I should.I just got a fill 7days ago and I don't feel any different but my doctor told me to wait 2 weeks to a month to see if the fill will kick in.

I had my first fill in two years today. I was at a 5.5 in 10 cc band. The dr gave me .5 today and I could feel it instantly. I am hoping this extra restriction will help me on my way to those last 50 lbs. It did sting a little bit but not bad.

I am at a 6. I can't even imagine getting tighter than this (although someday maybe that'll change) because I am, for the first time, having trouble eating anything I want. However I'm still feeling a bit of hunger. It is manageable though. I am going to work with the band, keep to the rules and hopefully the weight loss will come.

I've just had a fill today after having my band fixed in oct.3.50 in oct .50 today it feels like something is stuck in my esophagus ..does this go away?

Is that why fluids only? Prudence

I've just had a fill today after having my band fixed in oct.3.50 in oct .50 today it feels like something is stuck in my esophagus ..does this go away?

Is that why fluids only? Prudence