Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sooo I'm finally seeking help with my weight issues

I finally got myself out of the "I can do this naturally" bubble and decided to tell my PCP that I need help losing weight. He was Sooo helpful and I wasn't embarrassed at all. It took me about 3 months to build up strength to go to him about this. In my head, I thought he might think that I was lazy and seeking the easy way out even though I knew that I have tried every single thing and nothing really worked! I've been obese for 29 years and I'm only 29 years old! Anyway, I have HIP Medicaid and they would cover all weight loss surgeries pending its medically necessary. I was told by the customer service rep from the insurance company that requirements are a BMI of about 40, 6 months supervised diet with a licensed dietician or 3 months under a bariatric surgeon's supervision and something like high blood pressure or diabetes or sleep apnea etc. I really really want to shed this weight. I'm 5'8 and 340 pounds, I would like to get down to about 240. I'm waiting for a referral to a bariatric surgeon to take the next step. Will keep every1 updated and I really really appreciate everyone sharing their journey, it gives me hope and you guys are very educating so thank you. Keep sharing and keep moving in the right direction.

I finally got myself out of the "I can do this naturally" bubble

I am 57 years old, and I got banded two weeks ago. In December my bubble burst, and I finally admitted that I couldn't do it. Keep the faith, there is hope.

You can do it if you WANT it enough. Find a good surgeon. You did not mention high blood pressure, diabetes or other problems. If you have any of these you may not need a pre-diet.

Best wishes to you and congratulations on taking the first step.

I don't have high blood pressure nor am I diabetic but I might have sleep apnea. I snore like a family of bears so I'm 75% sure that I do but my PCP is going to get a little machine thing to determine if I do for sure. He said most obese people suffer from sleep apnea. And thank you cheznoel, I'm pretty happy that I took the first step!

I am happy you burst that bubble and decided to do this. Many things it's an easy way out, but girl, you still do have to work hard at this. I truly thought.. Id get this band and it was gonna be magic! id only be able to eat about half a cup and be full.. oh hell ya! no.. it's not like that, at least not till you get to full restriction. Want it.. and want it like no other! It is such an awesome tool for sure! You'll do great! where ya where? and good luck to ya!! Ooh! and you having a high bmi might be enough to not have to do the pre diet as well, I didn't have to.

I'm really hoping I can just skip the pre-diet because when you think about it, my whole life has been a diet! I definitely need a nutritionist or some sort of guidance with selecting healthy foods etc. I love to work out so I know I'll be able to do that. Working out right now seems almost impossible because I feel beyond odd walking in to a gym ANDDDD I get so tired so quickly and carrying around all this weight is a heck of a task! I'm in NY, I certainly have to find some friends in my area to hit the gym with. I haven't told anyone in my close circle about my plans yet because I know everyone is going to say something and I really don't want to hear it.

Terry, how long did it take?

I'm sorry, who long did what take? If you are talking about the approval process, I am self pay. I attended the seminar on December 20th, and sub-mitted my paperwork the next day, was approved by the surgeon on the 26th, had my pre-op class on the 28th (where I started my pre-op diet), met with the surgeon for the second time on the 4th (first time was the seminar) had the surgery on the 7th.

Yes it was fast, but I did a tremendous amount of research. I brought my wife (She is a detail person and I needed her council) with me to the pre-op class and the pre-op meeting, and of course she was with me the day of surgery, I bought the big lap band book that is advertised on this site, and I spoke with my primary care physician as well.

My insurance carrier did offer wls with a 12 month Dr. supervised diet (which they don't cover). As I pointed out to my wife, if I could stay on a strict diet for 12 months, I wouldn't need the surgery.

If you don't feel comfortable telling people don't! I didn't tell most of my close circle and family friends until I had a surgery date. Do what's best for you. Congratulations on deciding to take control over your life and make your situation better. There's so much freedom in that. As far as skipping the pre-op diet I wouldn't make plans for that. First, you don't know what your surgeon will require (they're all different). second, use the pre-op diet as a time period of learning. Learn everything you can about the band, the nutritionist is a good idea. But I urge you to not try to rush through the process. Embrace the time. Best of luck.

I agree with the pre op diet as for me it was all about learning how we will change our way of thinking, meeting others who are going through the same thing and learning how to eat right. I had to attend a group session every other week for three months. It was great. It is a big change for you so use this time to get your mind ready and start to make small changes now. I cut out all soda and sweet tea during this time and also then added white bread to that list, Pasta, etc. Then after surgery at about the four month mark, I added bread back in but good breads. You will find what works for you as you go through this process. Your NUT will become the best help and motivation!

Glad you have joined our group, we are all just a bunch of losers!

I agree with the pre op diet as for me it was all about learning how we will change our way of thinking, meeting others who are going through the same thing and learning how to eat right. I had to attend a group session every other week for three months. It was great. It is a big change for you so use this time to get your mind ready and start to make small changes now. I cut out all soda and sweet tea during this time and also then added white bread to that list, Pasta, etc. Then after surgery at about the four month mark, I added bread back in but good breads. You will find what works for you as you go through this process. Your NUT will become the best help and motivation!

Glad you have joined our group, we are all just a bunch of losers!

Good Luck with your New Life Journey....It's your journey and no one else. I am more than certain that you will succeed on your New Journey.

So glad your bubble burst! I have been overweight most of my life, but for some reason I woke up on on Dec. 1, 2012 and decided being fat was no longer an option for me. I was limiting myself in so many areas of my life and I wanted more! Like most, I had been on every diet in the book and would last maybe two weeks. I was banded 12/31/12, so the process was pretty fast, but now I don't think about food all the time. I can look towards the future and know I'm doing everything I can to be a better me. I've only been banded three weeks tomorrow, but I can already tell this is going to be a great tool and 2013 will ROCK!!!! Best of luck to you:-)

So glad your bubble burst! I have been overweight most of my life' date=' but for some reason I woke up on on Dec. 1, 2012 and decided being fat was no longer an option for me. I was limiting myself in so many areas of my life and I wanted more! Like most, I had been on every diet in the book and would last maybe two weeks. I was banded 12/31/12, so the process was pretty fast, but now I don't think about food all the time. I can look towards the future and know I'm doing everything I can to be a better me. I've only been banded three weeks tomorrow, but I can already tell this is going to be a great tool and 2013 will ROCK!!!! Best of luck to you:-)[/quote']

Wow, within 1 month?! Were you self-pay? I notice the self-pay process is very short, curious to know.