Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Five years banded and I have fallen off the bandster wagon,I need some advice...

I was banded over five years ago. I did well for the first year, lost one lb a week on average. I started at 234 got down to 173 and stayed there untill about 8 months ago. Now I am up to 188 YIKES!! I don't have the healthiest lifestyle, I ride with my husband over the road trucking. We don't have access to healthy food all the time, and excersize is difficult. Can anyone help me out with food choices and things I can do to start loosing again? Also I haven't been back to my doc since 1 year post op, he his very expensive and I haven't had the means to see him. I have pain at the port, so bad at times I can't lye one my side, and gall bladder problems as well. I get sick often, i know the band is too tight, as sometimes i feel blocked drinking Water, most of the time I have yo drink while I eat just to get more than a bite down. Very very frustrated, I know i am to blame but I want to start again any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

If you are having port pain, gallbladder pain, and a band too tight your first priority needs to be seeing your surgeon immediately. I'm not trying to scare you, but walking around with a band too tight for 4 years is just begging for a major slip. I guarantee the cost of having your band removed entirely because of neglect would be far more expensive than the cost of an office visit and a slight unfill.

Bands too tight can also cause weight gain, btw. Yet another reason to get into your surgeon.

Best wishes.

I think the first thing you need to do is see your Dr. You need to make sure everything is where its suppose to be.

You know being too tight can actually cause you to gain weight, by eating more sliders that are higher in calories, but easier to get down.

I strongly advice you, call your Dr.

Best wishes

Thanks, I will be going to see him in the next month. I am actually embarrassed, I think thats why I haven't other than not having the $. I know I can do better but I start and stop. The pain at the port sight is weird, i honestly think it flipped about 2 years ago :(. It feels different... If I eat to much and don't throw up my side hurts like hell. Stop eating to much right! lol Well I will give the doc a call tues :) I hope he doesn't chew my arsss to much.. Any advice on food and measuring on the road? I have Protein Powder but I have a hard time with the texture.

Thanks, I will be going to see him in the next month. I am actually embarrassed, I think thats why I haven't other than not having the $. I know I can do better but I start and stop. The pain at the port sight is weird, i honestly think it flipped about 2 years ago :(. It feels different... If I eat to much and don't throw up my side hurts like hell. Stop eating to much right! lol Well I will give the doc a call tues :) I hope he doesn't chew my arsss to much.. Any advice on food and measuring on the road? I have Protein powder but I have a hard time with the texture.

I'm really relieved you're going to see your doc. Don't be embarrassed you've stayed away, rather be proud you're regaining control of the situation.

As far as food when traveling, I find using the Lose It app for Android a godsend. It's a really easy way to track food, including fast food and restaurant food. I don't travel nearly as much as you do but when I'd be lost without it when I do.

Thanks for the encouragement. I will definitely get that app. Its time for me to regain control :)

Hun.. please please go see your doc! if he is to expensive maybe call around and see if there is a cheaper one. I just recently stopped working, so I asked mine how much out of pocket will be, she said 50.00 doc visit, 100 for an adjustment.. not to bad.. considering the health issues you are causing yourself. Let us know how everything goes..!! good luck hun!!

According to my surgeon, the success of the band is depended upon you seeing your surgeon and getting the the right fill in order to lose and maintain weight. I'm glad you are going to go see your surgeon and you can continue to see them a few times a year. Congrats on your Weightloss and keeping it off for 5 years.

Thats not to bad, my doc is 200 just to walk thru the door :(... I am soo sick of the pain, getting sick and the heartburn I can hardly deal anymore. I have Poly cystic ovarian disease to and I was reading some posts that explain or have the same symptoms I do ( weight gain, major Hair loss, acne and abnormal hair growth). Does anyone know if there is special meds other than birth control or diet for this?

Thats not to bad, my doc is 200 just to walk thru the door :(... I am soo sick of the pain, getting sick and the heartburn I can hardly deal anymore. I have Poly cystic ovarian disease to and I was reading some posts that explain or have the same symptoms I do ( weight gain, major Hair loss, acne and abnormal hair growth). Does anyone know if there is special meds other than birth control or diet for this?

I agree with going to see the doc immediately. I did want to comment though on the trucking. My father in law is a truck driver. He used to be over weight but then was diagnosed with diabetes and heart problems. He lost 100lbs and drives cross country all the time. He did it by keeping oranges and fruits in his truck. He used to eat bags of cheetos but stopped buying stuff like that. Mostly just cut out all of the bad carbs. He never did have any kind of WLS surgery.I think my mother in law just scared the hell out of him lol. My husband and I regularly meet him at truck stops for dinner. He gets salads and chicken breast all the time.

I just wanted you to have faith in yourself. Go see the doc. See what they can do for you but know it is absolutely possible even with driving cross country. You can do it. And don't be embarrassed. Your doctor is there for you to reach out to. If you are not comfortable with him/her maybe see if there is another doctor in your area that can help you. Keep your head up!

Reading these posts make me so sad. I'm in Canada where health care like that is all paid for. I'm sorry you have to stress about money and live with pain, because docs are expensive.

on the food front, you could stock up on fresh fruit to carry in the truck.

I was just diagnosed with a completely flipped port. Having revision surgery this Wednesday. The only difference I can feel is a slight twinge of pain when I lay on the port side.

I have no restriction or reflux at all.

That's why it is so important to go to Dr. Living with reflux is not good.

Just explain to the Dr. that you fell on hard times and didn't have the money, which I'm sorry you're going through that, its rough. 6yrs ago my husband was self employed and we had no insurance, you just don't go to the Dr.

What happened to the days no one had health insurance and anyone could go to a Dr? Miss them days.

Keep us posted.

Its really strange but when I eat my side hurts, just above the port. The port itself has always been a little tender. But now if I bend down with pressure ie screwing on of those dog steaks into the ground i get a horrific pain in my left side, like a charlie horse. It goes away after a few min of stretching, maybe just scar tissue tearing?