Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone cheat on their preop diet?

I didn't have a pre op diet, I was already doing that.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their honesty.

I didn't cheat either. It was so hard sometimes to stay on course but if I had an extreme craving I did the dishes, went shopping just kept myself occupied. Cravings pass....I'm currently at the start of week 2 post op liquids and though I've wanted to cheat on a few occassions I stick with it! New life, new habits!

I didn't cheat. I did the 2 week preop diet.. I was allowed to have Protein like chicken with no skin on it and broths. sugar free popsicles and sugar free pudding. However, my doctor prescribed me 2 antibiotics. Neomycin and something else to take the day before surgery.. for a total of 12 pills I had to take the day before surgery. I took that first dose and thought I was going to die. I had the worst visits to the bathroom I can remember in ages. I called the nurse and she told me to stop taking them immediately and eat some bread and banannas to try to help stop it. I did not eat the banannas but I did eat a grilled chicken sandwich. No Condiments. Just the two pieces of bread and the chicken breast. I wouldn't classify that as cheating since I was told to do it. But if you are not told to do it, dont. Hopefully you wont have the same problem if you are given antibiotics the day before. I would not wish that on anyone.

I am on day 4 of a 14-day pre-op liquid diet, and daydreaming of enchiladas. But they'll stay there, in my dreams, because to me, the pre-op diet is about proving to myself that I can do this, no matter how damn difficult it is. I mean, I know it's actually about my liver, but to me it's about inner strength. :) Oh yeah, plus I'm down 11 pounds in the 4 days!

Ok....i am on day 5 of my preop diet and mine is Protein shakes and Water

Stressed at work and feeling hungry and I am fighting the urge to cheat

Anyone feel like this?

Did anyone cheat? Even once?

I really wanted to cheat a little - was very tight Pre-op diet sending me into ketosis BUT my Dr. said it was necessary because my liver would be very fatty and if I cheated THEN he would NOT be able to safely operate and would close me up with no Lapband SO I followed 10000% Because I was self pay $$$$ maybe he just said this to scare me into doing the best thing ... It worked : ) I was very big 454 lbs so it may be diff for smaller people - I don't know

Lee

I cheated, I was on a 3 week cross country trip with my family. Thought...Oh, one "drink" won't hurt it. I ended up falling down a flight of stairs, broke my big toe in half, chipped the toe next to it and sprained the pinky toe. My surgery was delayed a month for my recovery....WASN'T WORTH IT.

I cheated, I was on a 3 week cross country trip with my family. Thought...Oh, one "drink" won't hurt it. I ended up falling down a flight of stairs, broke my big toe in half, chipped the toe next to it and sprained the pinky toe. My surgery was delayed a month for my recovery....WASN'T WORTH IT.

Boy, when you cheat,you cheat a good one.lol

Glad you're ok and things worked out.

I got punished for even thinking about cheating....

I got in the car to go buy just one burger and realized my money was gone!

Figured its Gods way of telling me no! Dont do it!

Its soooooo hard and I know the weekend is going to be harder....

Thanks for all the honesty....it helps hearing everyones take on it

Its day 5 and i have already lost 7 pounds so i gotta stay strong

Started at 242 now 236

Does anyone NOT cheat on their pre-op diet!? Haha. Yes, I think it's pretty normal.

I sure hope its not the norm. Sure it's hard... But what worth having isn't? I didn't cheat on my 2 wk pre op liquid diet. Nor did I cheat on my post op diet of 1 wk of Clear liquids, 1 wk of creamy liquids, 1 week of mushies.

I dnt look down on anyone who does but i do question their commitment. My feeling was If I couldnt sacrifice 5 weeks of following the drs orders how did I expect to survive a life time of living with the band?

Yes I cheated probably 2 or 3 times during the 2 weeks pre op.. Its about shrinking your liver. 2 or 3 times is not going to undo all your hard work during the 39 other Liquid Protein meals you have...We are only human...GOOD LUCK..

I'm doing the pre-opt diet now and haven't cheated. Thats not saying I didn't want to cause I did, I was just to scared to plus I would read everybody else post and how they did it without cheating and said I can do it to. Just my input:)

I know exactly how hard it is to stick with any kind of diet, and especially a liquid one. Been there, done that, and didn't even get a tee-shirt. But what I did get was far better than a tee-shirt. I got better health and a size 8 body.

I think it's important to remember that the purpose of pre- and post-op diets is not to inflict torture on the patient, but to prevent complications and ensure good outcomes. And those diets are temporary. Following a restricted diet for 14 or 30 days seems like a small price to pay for band success. When I was banded, I had eaten whatever I wanted every day for something like 20,000 days. Compared to that, 14 or 30 days is a drop in the bucket.

We can speculate all day long about why different surgeons require different diets and why some require none at all, but at the end of the day, we are still patients without the training and expertise of our surgeons - the doctors we trust enough to hire them to perform bariatric surgery on us. So it behooves all of us to do our utmost to comply with their protocols and instructions. Are we going to trip and stumble while doing that? Of course. I make mistakes every day of my life, but after each mistake, I learn from the mistake, pull myself together and go on.

I wrote an article about cheating on your post-op diet, and most of the points in the article apply to the pre-op diet as well. Here's a link to the article: http://www.lapbandta...the-post-op-r78

Also, I wrote an article on how to survive your liquid diet (pre- and post-op). Here's a link to that one: http://www.lapbandta...liquid-diet-r69

And finally, here's an article about the value of patient compliance with their doctors' protocols and instructions: http://www.lapbandta...g-deal-abo-r112

Jean

Thanks so much jean! The insight and support is much appreciated !

I am hanging in there!

I have not cheated post op, but I did cheat the week before. It was my birthday and I wanted to have one last "bad" birthday bash. I did tell my doc though and he gave me his blessing. That one meal did not prevent me from having my surgery.