Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not losing weight question - Have I Reached My Set Point ?

In short, the following is my general background:

• I've had the lap band for 3 months now
  • I've lost 13lbs since surgery [all of it was in the first week - not kidding]
  • Had first fill last month [1.4cc in 4cc band = 35% fill capacity]
  • Going for another fill next week [2cc in 4cc band = 50% fill capacity]
  • I'm 5'10 [male] and currently 284lbs [was 297]
  • My BMI is 41.7 lbs and to maintain my weight I must be take in 3400 calories per day

To lose weight, I've set the following boundaries up to help me be successful:

• Take protein first thing in the morning with Protein shake
  • Select small food portions in every meal
  • Chew thoroughly and take my time eating
  • Drink Water before I eat and 1 hour after I eat
  • Do not eat past 7pm
  • Go to bed no later than 11pm to get enough sleep
  • Eat no more than 1500 calories per day [today was 1100 calories]
  • Exercise at least 5 hours per week

Any thoughts or advice?

In short' date=' the following is my general background:

[*']I've had the lap band for 3 months now

[*]I've lost 13lbs since surgery [all of it was in the first week - not kidding]

[*]I'm 5'10 [male] and currently 288lbs

[*]My BMI is 41.7 lbs and to maintain my weight I must be take in 3400 calories per day

To lose weight, I've set the following boundaries up to help me be successful:

[*]Take Protein first thing in the morning with Protein shake

[*]Select small food portions in every meal

[*]Chew thoroughly and take my time eating

[*]Drink Water before I eat and 1 hour after I eat

[*]Do not eat past 7pm

[*]Go to bed no later than 11pm to get enough sleep

[*]Eat no more than 1500 calories per day [today was 1100 calories]

[*]Exercise at least 5 hours per week

Any thoughts or advice?

What are you doing for exercise? What are you eating? Are your Protein shakes high in sugar? Maybe you missed that? Maybe you need another fill? Are you in the green zone yet?

What are you doing for exercise? What are you eating? Are your Protein Shakes high in sugar? Maybe you missed that? Maybe you need another fill? Are you in the green zone yet?

• I've had my 1st fill last month and am currently 35% of my fill capacity (1.4 cc's in a 4cc band] and I'm getting about another .6 cc's next week to bring me to 50% fill capacity.
  • More cardiovascular as I love playing basketball with the kids [4 on 1 with 14-17 year olds ...haha...it makes exercising fun]. I also ride the bike and use the elliptical machine. Just recently, I started lifting weights again. Used to lift a lot in college but stopped lifting because I was getting to big [not big as in fat...but big in terms of muscular]. My 85lb weight gain has all been in the last 8 years of my life due to life events and stress and getting older. So I'm pretty comfortable working out [and believe it or not] I was a body builder type back in college. Love working out actually

Thoughts/Opinions?

If you're not already doing this, track your food on myfitnesspal.com. It keeps you accountable & helps you see what you're really eating & taking in. You will also be able to view other people's food diaries to see what types of foods they are eating. Sometimes, it's just a matter of shaking things up.

Another option is talking to the nutritionist at your surgeon's office 'and' your surgeon. You may need a fill to help keep you satisfied.

My surgeon once told me that as a surgeon, he only does 15% of the work for lapband patients, and they have to do 85% of the work. It's true. The band is our tool, but it's up to us to really follow through on how to properly use it. I don't think it's difficult, but it is a challenge, and quite the journey. I"m always learning something.

Hang in there. The weight will come off.

I was thinking well...maybe it comes off in spurts. I know with my brother...it would come off in waves. In fact....I could swear he was 30lbs lighter from one week to next as it seems his body was in serious ketosis stage when he went from 220lbs to 190. He was 420lbs[at one time] and now down to 150lbs

I remember the first week....I literally could not eat as I was not hungry at all. My brother says...he is never hungry at all....the only thing is he misses taste [he says]. Although I differ from him on this issue, he says you don't have to count calories and all that stuff and he definitely doesn't exercise as much as I do.....so not sure about this.

P.S. I believe its all a matter of time before this weight starts coming off.

My goodness, it sounds like you're doing everything absolutely right. I'd be incredibly frustrated in your shoes, too.

The only suggestions I can think of are:

-See a nutritionist to establish a good calorie range specifically for you and your activity level. 1100 for a man is VERY low. I would have to guess you're not eating enough and actually need more to stimulate your metabolism into activity. A nutritionist is your best bet to establish this.

-See your primary care physician. It's highly unlikely but doing this will at least rule a medical reason for your stalled weight loss.

Good luck!

My goodness, it sounds like you're doing everything absolutely right. I'd be incredibly frustrated in your shoes, too.

The only suggestions I can think of are:

-See a nutritionist to establish a good calorie range specifically for you and your activity level. 1100 for a man is VERY low. I would have to guess you're not eating enough and actually need more to stimulate your metabolism into activity. A nutritionist is your best bet to establish this.

-See your primary care physician. It's highly unlikely but doing this will at least rule a medical reason for your stalled weight loss.

Good luck!

To be very honest....early on I was drinking wine late at night[3 glasses once per week]...and noticed my snack level increased big time. I've also have dabbled eating ice cream when I shouldn't have a couple times. So I haven't been some angel since getting the lapband ...but I am turning the corner. I'm establishing more healthy rules with the wine [limiting it greatly] and disciplining myself to not eating after 7pm.

P.S. I also know it helps if I exercise in the morning because when I exercise at night...I have all this energy and end up getting hungry late at night....not to mention sleep later like in 2am. So...I'm trying....making adjustments as I go....but I thought it would be easier to lose the weight than I thought. So...just to be clear...I'm haven't been an angel at this....but I'm making my adjustments slowly but surely.

To be very honest....early on I was drinking wine late at nights...and noticed my snack level increased big time. I've also have dabbled eating ice cream when I shouldn't have a couple times. So I have been some angel since getting the lapband ...but I am turning the corner. I'm establishing more healthy rules with the wine [limiting it greatly] and disciplining myself to not eating after 7pm.

P.S. I also know it helps if I exercise in the morning because when I exercise at night...I have all this energy and end up getting hungry late at night....not to mention sleep later like in 2am. So...I'm trying....making adjustments as I go....but I thought it would be easier to lose the weight than I thought. So...just to be clear...I'm haven't been an angel at this....but I'm making my adjustments slowly but surely.

See but this is good. Not that you "haven't been an angel", but rather that you are clear where you haven't been and what you need to change. This will help a lot!

I still think your calorie range is too low, btw. I'm a 5'3 woman and I eat 1000-1200 a day. Being a man, yours should be higher for sure.

Now granted this is just my personal experience, not "right" or "wrong", but I simply cannot eat after 7pm and lose weight. If I were to eat stuff like ice cream or drink wine at night I guarantee I wouldn't lose. It's VERY hard to kick the nighttime eating habit but for me it's essential. If I find myself truly hungry in the evening, I have a dill pickle or a sliced cucumber because both are 0 calories.

Hang in there, it's definitely a learning experience!

1100 for a man is VERY low. I would have to guess you're not eating enough and actually need more to stimulate your metabolism into activity. A nutritionist is your best bet to establish this.

I was thinking for my body weight...I need to average about 3400 calories to maintain my weight....and I've been averaging around 1500. To me....I should be losing a lot more than I should based off this alone. Unless, of course, the packaging of the foods I've been eating are wrong.

I"m wondering if being at 50% [2cc's in a 4cc band] fill capacity will make a big difference than where I'm currently at === 35% [1.4cc in a 4cc band].

Thoughts?

Hey Dude, I was just thinking of you last night and wondering how you were doing.

I was thinking that your brother probably doesn't count calories b/c he is in the green zone, you are probably not there yet and it would probably be wise if you did count the calories for awhile. Remember Proteins first, that's what keeps you satisfied longer.

Glad you've seen the light and realized that ice cream and sliders aren't going to get you where you want to be.

That's why it is important to count calories, if you have calories left over and can afford a little something, that's ok.

You're def getting more exercise than me.lol

If all else fails, see a nutritionist, but go with your food list so they can determine whats going on.

Your fill will probably help a lot too.

You'll get there.

Check in more often, so we don't have to wonder about you.

Best of Luck!

I was thinking for my body weight...I need to average about 3400 calories to maintain my weight....and I've been averaging around 1500. To me....I should be losing a lot more than I should based off this alone. Unless, of course, the packaging of the foods I've been eating are wrong.

Ok, here's some simple math :)

If you need 3400 calories to maintain, then you need to subtract off that number to lose. Cutting out 3500 calories a week equals a pound, so 7000 a week equals 2 pounds.

3500 calories/7 days= 500 calories a day reduction

7000 calories/7 days= 1000 calories a day reduction

So...

To lose 1 pound a week, you'd want to eat 2900 calories a day

To lose 2 pounds a week, you'd want to eat 2400 calories a day

NOW...that isn't to say you should necessarily be eating that much, especially with the band. However, it does give you an idea that 1500 calories a day is WAY too low for you.

At my Nut classes, they said men should get 1800 calories a day. Just a thought.

Try to stay away from Protein shakes... I was told by my doctor and nutritionist that solid Protein is better for your metabolism. Protein Shakes are ok but not for everyday use.

Keep a food journal either with an "App"or on paper and if you can join a support group.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 156 lbs