Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

stuck but no fill yet

I am only about 1 month post op. I am on soft foods. On the list is tuna with mayo, no celery. I don't like mayo so I had it plain thinking that was ok. I had bad chest pain and burped. This pain lasted 10 mins. I thought it was from eating too fast, even though I didn't feel like I was eating too fast. A few days later, same thing. This time I blamed it on too big of bites, even though tuna crumbles apart and I did chew, chew,c hew.

Today I tried it again. (I did not make the tuna connection until today as I thought I ws eating too fast first time and too big of bites the third time). This time I said to myself tuna must not agree with me, and then I remembered the chart says mayo and maybe it's too dry without anything like dressing or mayo. I dry heaved and slimed. Then my stomach muscles felt crampy.

At dinner, I was eating a sweet potato and the pain was so bad. Maybe I didn't heal from this afternoon. I slimed in the sink for what felt like forever, Now my stomach muscles hurt like they do after throwing up.

Why am I getting stuck with no fill? Did I hurt my stomach, my band or my plication? I go to the dr tmmrw and now I don't think I will get the ok for solid foods.

Please help me with my misconceptions. Is tuna without anything bad? Can you get stuck without a fill? Could I be physically hurt around my band?

I will tell the doctor tomorrow but please help me too!

It is entirely possible to get stuck without any fills. Depending on where you band sits, your stomach size, and your band sized you could have a lot of tightness despite having an empty band.

tuna isn't bad, in fact it's very good for you. In fact, unless your doctor or nutritionist tell you not to eat a certain food, nothing is off limits except carbonation. food isn't "bad", it's the amounts of it and frequency we eat it that can be bad.

You may think you were taking small enough bites, chewing enough, and eating slow enough but it's possible as a newly banded person you're not quite there yet. My nutritionist suggested bites be the size of my fingernail. Yes, that small. She also suggested actually putting the fork down and waiting a moment between bites. Perhaps you could try this and see if it helps you too?

Hang in there, it's a learning experience but you'll get used to it :)

Bites too big, not chewing enough, food too dry... could be any of the above. But... If you have slimed, you should back off to liquids for a day to allow the irritation to subside. It def. sounds like a stuck episode. If it continues, please contact your doctor.

I know this is probably a stupid question but, what do you mean by slimed? I am new to this and don't fully understand some of the terms used.

I think tuna can be kind of chokey plain without anything mixed in. I would recommend mixing either can tuna or chicken with low fat laughing cow cheese. 1 thing about laughing cow is that you can also microwave it . Sometimes post op so much of what you eat is cold it's nice to have something warm.

I know you don't like mayo but try a little part skim ricotta. That is something I tried when I went to soft foods. It was really good AND the ricotta has Protein in it which is a bonus!

Went to dr today (well the PA I guess that's who I see instead of surgeon) for my month follow up, and told her what happened. She said she often suggests people try food more than one time before they give up on it, so nothing wrong with me trying it 3 times. She said everyone is different like some can't tolerate asparagus, others can have it daily. She said tuna fish straight from bag/can is more like a dry meat which tends to be more difficult. She said my sore port pain area is ok because for up to 6 weeks it can be sore (but I was worried because it was feeling beter until the stuck episodes- I still hope she's right:)

Good news: I lost 6 more pounds since my last follow up and even though I got stuck, I can move on to solids!!!! Wow, 6 weeks of liquids to mushies, and now I feel like I'm on a new phase of my journey. I'm excited and nervous at the same time:)

...I love laughing cow cheese and the skim ricotta, scared of tuna fish for the moment but def will try that in the future. Thank you!

And thanks for saying to do liquids, even though I just got the ok that I can go to solids, I still don't feel right inside and I think a day of liquids before I move on won't hurt.

I know this is probably a stupid question but, what do you mean by slimed? I am new to this and don't fully understand some of the terms used.

From what I understand slimed is your food coming back up. Some call it a PB or productive burp. The food is just slimy for saliva. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

The slime was like a really long string of jelly fish coming out of my mouth. Thick and clear. Not much food in it, mostly clear. At least that's how it was for me.

The slime was like a really long string of jelly fish coming out of my mouth. Thick and clear. Not much food in it' date=' mostly clear. At least that's how it was for me.[/quote']

Ok, well the thought of that makes my appetite disappear, lol!

Yea, that kind of makes me not want to eat anything either.....which could be a good thing! LOL

I also wanted to recommend the tuna in the pouches with balsamic vinegrette. It's my favorite. My grocer also carries one with a lemon seasoning. I'm not a big tuna fish kinda gal but these two are really good and very moist.