Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I posted a couple of weeks back. I haven't had surgery yet but my surgery is approved and I'm a self pay patient. I get really scared when I think about having this surgery. So I decided to try it on my own. I woke up this morning two pounds heavier and I've been crying ever since. Why does this have to be so hard!

I read this forum everyday, I see both the struggles and successes that everyone has. I'm not new to this. I've been looking at wls for several years now. I lost around 80lbs over a year ago and have gained all but 15lbs back since the death of my sister.

Is this normal? Did any of you get scared and try it on your own one more time before you had your surgery?

I did not. It was my last resort and I am thankful every day for doing it. Fear is normal for any surgery. Good luck on your decision though.

I felt the same way. I was on a weight loss rollar coaster. I started investigating LBS about two years ago and even took the pre-op classes (for 6 months). I keep thinking that is was just too drastic of a procedure, surely there was some type of diet out there that will work. I tried them all, jenny, weighwatchers, dexatrim, the list goes on and on, but maybe, just maybe there was something else. One day I woke up and thought, you know, if I had just done the procedure two years ago when I first thought about it, I could have been down to my goal weight by now. That's when I decided no more procrastination, just do it. I got banded 10/16/12, and although the weight is not just falling off like I had hoped it would (wishful thinking I'm sure), it is coming off, slowly but surely. Now I think "where will I be in two more years?" instead of looking for another diet to try. I will be 50 in 2 years and will have struggled with weight loss almost all of my adult life. I am excited about flipping the 1/2 century mark with a new body and new outlook on life!

I think everyone is different. I thought about wls and like you did it one more time but gave myself a cut off date. I ended up obviously getting the surgery. Up to the last moment i was questioning myself. I have to tell you almost three yrs later,few issues, not at goal yet it was the best decision i made for myself. It isn't easy and you need to follow the rules. It is a commitment and the hardest thing i have done for myself. For me it was well worth it. Good luck what ever you decide. This board is here for you.

Happy new you!

Wendy

I think it's good you take as many tries at diets as possible before you take the WLS plunge. You want to be 100% sure it's the right path for you before you take such a drastic step.

I know I tried several different diets before my surgery and I knew 3 years before I was banded I would never be able to lose the weight as easily as I had done in the past. As time and age progresses, it becomes so much more difficult to create those lifestyles that enable us to diet successfully. For me, I successfully dieted for 30 years but as I entered the 50's I could no longer push myself as I once did.

I think one must know this is the last resort or forever regret not trying harder. Personally, I think WLS has been unfairly scorned by the press and the public. I think society has unfairly labeled us lazy and taking the easy way out. I now know this is not easy. Not by any stretch. I'm eating healthier now than I've ever eaten in my entire life. If only I could have done this 30 years ago?

tmf

In 2008 I was 303 lbs...I dieted and exercised my way to 152 lbs in 12 months...3 years later I had gained all but 20 lbs of the weight back..at that point I knew that the band was the only way I was going to have a chance at maintaining a healthy weight...I could lose the weight no problem but I couldn't keep it off. I am determined to help the band help me keep the weight off when I reach goal..It's totally normal to be scared and you have to be positive that this is the right move for you....I wish you well in whatever you decide! :)

Hi,I too was scared of the surgery but after 5 yrs of rollercoaster weight problems I had to do it. Up until my 30's(before my pregnancy lol)I never was over 125lbs. I would start dieting,lose weight and gain twice as much back. After 6 yrs of this I hit 195! More than I was at 9 mos pregnant. I went straight to my Dr and he made the appt for me. I was banded on 12-28-12. No regrets so far

I think being nervous makes you normal. We all felt that way to differing degrees. Yes I did try diets over the years, but once I committed to Lap Band, and never looked back. It is the best thing I have ever done for myself!

Like everybody else, I was on the diet roller coaster my whole life. I investigated the gastric bypass for years and got partially approved before moving to Arizona and did not go through with it because something inside of me said it was not right. After moving here to Arizona I set my goal on getting approved again but new restrictions would not give me the gastric bypass but the band so I went it for it. It is not a quick fix and took the year to lose the weight and I do keep to goal for the last 3 years after losing the weight. I never regretted it and last week celebrated my 60th birthday feeling better than ever! People cannot believe I am that old after losing all that weight. When I was heavy, they thought I was 60 when I was only 50. How is that for incentive? Everybody gets nervous at the thought of surgery, keep in your mind that this is going to work and help add more years on your life, and look fantastic along the way.

I too am nervous and questioning if this is the only way I will ever beable to lose weight and keep it off. I will be 40 this year and I can not stand the way I look. I am heavier than I have ever been in my life :( but I have tried to take it off after I had my daughter and it is very difficult for me to even get a few pounds down. I have been working with the doctors and I am on my pre-op diet and have lost 9.5 lbs. I just keep telling myself that it is a jump start for after the band. I see no other way for me to get MY body back and get rid of this suit I have been wearing for the past 10 years. ( I was 145 lbs before I had my daughter) :o I feel like I have been invaded by body snatchers, and I am finding myself again.

I think nerves are natural as this is a big surgery. I feel it is bigger than my gallbladder removal a few years ago. I also think it is the lazy me in there trying to talk me out of it, but the stronger healthier me is going to win out in the end :D

About 2 years ago I lost about 60 pounds half diet and exercise and the other half on the HCG diet which if any of you have done it know what a treat that diet really is. I put the weight back on. I was depressed and angry. I avoided ppl bc I didn't want them to see me fat again. Then one day I was carring my youngest down the stairs and my ankles started to give out. I thank God for the wall the caught my fall. I saw my sleeping daughter in my arms and cried and cried. Because of my weight and carelessness for my body I almost hurt myself but more importantly one of my babies. Im only 27 that should not be happening. My life as a future fat person flashed before my eyes and how I would not be able to play with my children or care for them. So I made an appt with in 2 days and about a month later I was banded. I made a commitment to myself to get healthy. Commitment to yourself you know when the time its right!

I've tried it on my own countless times over 30 years...everything from Dr supervised diets, acupuncture, hypnotism and drugs......

Failed at everyone, and gained the weight back.....

My story is I have absolutely no self control or discipline when it came to dieting.....went ok at first, maybe 6 months, then hat was it....

i HAD to have surgical intervention to prevent me from doing harm to myself...preventing me from overeating all the time....

I am happy to say that for me, this has worked, and I am not afraid of ever gaining the weight back as long as the band remains in place properly filled.....

But traditional dieting???? Not me.....

I, too, put off surgery in April after getting insurance approval to "try one more time". Well, in scheduled for Monday morning because I finally figured out that I need assistance. And the band is just that....an added tool.

I think it is normal to be a little scared....scared of the surgery and scared of failure. This is a big decision to make. Good luck to you whatever you choose to do.