Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

SO CONFUSED. Doctors...Procedures..oh my!!!

I had my first consultation and visit yesterday with two different clinics and doctors. I live 2 1/2 hours away so I wanted to be sure I explored all of my options the same day.

My first visit was with Nick Nicholson at the Nicholson clinic in Dallas. I LOVED him! Loved his personality, his excitement for me, his passion, and his faith that WLS WOULD WORK FOR ME. He did however, almost have me talked in to having the sleeve now instead of lapband. (Prior to going in I was 100% sure I wanted the band). He almost talked me out of the band because of how far I live away from the clinic and all of the times i will need to visit for fills, etc. He said because I live so far away the sleeve is a much easier, more practical choice because once I heal I'm done, very few visits. He also said that once I heal the RISKS of the sleeve are MUCH LESS than the ones of the lapband.

I left his office excited and knowing I would do the SLEEVE.

An hour later I visited True Results in Richardson. I told them that I originally wanted the lapband, but now had almost decided I wanted the sleeve. True results said that they offered both procedures, but went over the risks of each procedure again with me and really made me feel like the band is much less of a risk than the sleeve (which I originally thought), and that even though I would come back in for visits every 4-6 weeks, that was only 8 times a year. PLUS, the visits would keep me accountable, whereas with the sleeve I wouldn't HAVE to come back in once I healed, thus, not much accountability. (I need accountability. I KNOW this about myself).

My head was spinning.

I left True Results and it wasn't until I was half way home that I realized I never MET THE SURGEON who would be doing my surgery.

So here's my problems:

A) Lapband or sleeve? I can see so many pro's and cons with each. I really am back to the thought that I will do the lapband. I NEED accountability. Plus I like the fact that it is reversible in case I ever have complications, I get sick and don't need to lose weight, etc. It scares the living heck out of me to think that the majority of my stomach would be removed if i went with the sleeve.

B) Which facility? I LOVED Dr. Nicholson, but his staff was just "okay". They were nice, but not bubbly and warm and fuzzy. More all business, let's get you in and out.

True Results- I LOVED their staff. Their PA was sweet and wonderful and already felt like a friend. My patient care advocate is a bombshell and a lapband patient herself, losing 100 pounds 7 1/2 years ago and keeping it off. She's everything I want to be: active, healthy and runs marathons...and I've SEEN her picture. She was ME just 7 1/2 years ago. BUT, I NEVER MET THE SURGEON!!! What if I hate him???

So if you were me what would you do? I want the person operating on me to be GOOD. I want to trust them and have faith in them, but on top of that I want to LOVE the staff since I will be seeing so much of THEM.

Lastly, anyone already been banded and wish that they would have done the sleeve instead? I'm not in this to 'change my mind' in a few years and have another surgery. I'm ready to change my life TODAY and stick with my decision for the rest of my life.

HELP!!!

i went through the same thing a few months ago when i decided to pursue surgery, i read through all my options and met with 2 different doctors and eventually chose the lapband for the following reasons:

1- i am only 24 and want children in the future so being able to get the band filled and unfilled through out my life will work well for the many adventures i plan to have!

2- even after a sleeve your stomach can stretch back to a larger size and when you are not going to the doctor periodically for check ups then you can quickly loose focus on weight loss.

3- i live about 90 minutes from the doctor i chose due to the limited amount of bariatric surgeons who work with my insurance, i have not really had a problem due to the fact that i absolutly love everyone in their office.

4- the thought of changing my anatomy kinda freaked me out alittle, it was more reassuring knowing that the band could be removed if necessary downt the road.

hope this helps and good luck with your journey :)

Lauren

I got the band after doing my research and deciding that it was best for me and my situation...mainly for the same reasons that you listed. I have no regrets so far. My gf has the sleeve and is very pleased with it as well. You know that this is really a personal decision..its great that you are doing your research and most importantly that you are doing what you feel is important to improve your health. Good luck..let us know what you decide. On another note, you will be able to meet your surgeon prior to your surgery and you can also begin researching him on your own. My surgeon is not all warm and fuzzy but he did a great job with my surgery! It was discovered that I have a massive fibroid, during my LB procedure. My surgeon gave me great followup/aftercare resources so that I can address the issue. My surgeon does not do my fills so I expect that my ongoing care will be mostly facilitated by True Results.

SAme here. I decided to got for the band mainly because it was less « permanent ». The idea of cutting pieces of me scared me. What if I regret it?? I’m still young, I dont want to spend the rest of my life regretting a decision I made. Still it is a personal decision, try not to be influenced by people around you. You need to read all you can find on both surgeries and figure the one you are most comfortable with. As for the surgeon, don’t base it to much on his personality, base it on his/her experience. Ask how many surgeries he/she did, how long has he been doing these surgeries, what is his success rate, if there’s any other patients of his you could talk to etc…My surgeon is not bubbly, warm or fuzzy. She is strict but is very professional. She takes her surgeries very seriously and wants you to be succesfull. She is also a bit different of what is discribed by many of you here. She has a different diet and methods but i’m totally comfortable with everything she says and if she’s confident, i’m confident it will work. So, my opinion is take your time, read everything and look at the surgeons competence rather than his personality. Be 100% sure of your decision. If you are not, take more time to think about it and do your research. Good luck! :)

That must be the true results way, I didn't meet my surgeon until I had done EVERYTHING else to prepare for surgery. I honestly don't know if I would've stayed with them if I had met him first, nothing against him, he's just def not going to be someone I "connect" with. If this is important to you, then I'd go with the place where u actually meet your dr and decide if you connected with him, which it sounds like you did.

I hope you've posted the same thing on the sleeve message board. It would be nice to get your info from people experienced with both procedures. I opted for the band because I didn't want my anatomy changed and it was completely reversible. But...

I've had some complications that were quite scary and required another surgery. I had two episodes of EXTREME pain (and I am NOT a pain weenie). I'm only about 25 minutes from my surgeon and relief I got with unfills, but I just can't imagine how I would have survived that pain if I had been farther away!! Turns out my band had slipped and it required surgery to restitch it. At the time of the second surgery, I opted for band with plication, which is similar to the sleeve, but without actually removing part of the stomach.

With all I've been through, I did opt to keep my band. I do wish that I had researched the sleeve as much as I researched the band. One way I've heard it put is that with the sleeve, if you're going to have complications, it's early on; with the band, the complications usually come quite a bit later.

I do love my band and what it's done for me weight loss-wise. However, knowing what I know now, and having experienced what I've been through, if I had it to do over again, I think I would opt for the sleeve. My daughter is thinking about wls and I would steer her toward the sleeve. I asked my doctor's opinion (after the fact) about what wls he would recommend for his wife or daughter, and he said his recommendation would depend upon co-morbidities, as some procedures are better for diabetics, for instance, and also on how much total weight a person needed to lose.

I posted this not to scare you, as I think my case is not the "norm". Even my surgeon, who I LOVE, was quite baffled, and I was the earliest slip they had ever had in their clinic. Just continue to do your research and good luck with whichever wls you choose!!

I had the band by true results in Houston. You do meet the surgeon in a pre op visit prior to surgery but as far as your after care it is done by the true results staff not the surgeon. Hope this helps.

I used true results in richardson too and didnt meet my surgeon until 5 min before i was being wheeled in for surgery. Dr. Benevides was my surgeon. Just call and request to meet with him. They have a complete after care facility that will care for you after surgery. This is where you will go to get your fills, unfills and any other problems you may have (its in the same building as the surgery center and where you went for your consultation). They are awesome. You will only go to Dr. Benevides office one time for your follow up appt and then if you have any major problems that aftercare can not deal with. I promise you will be taken care of from beginning to end with true results. Amanda is great isnt she? You will also meet Katie...she works in dr. Benevides office and she is just sweet as can be! Good luck to you

Thanks so much for the information you guys! I don't know why I had it in my head that I would "bond" with my surgeon before hand and that I would continue to see him/her afterwards. If this is somewhat normal then I'm not so upset by it :)

Because of the office staff at True Results I really AM leaning more towards using their facility....and it does help that some of you are current success stories from there!

Toddy, your story is the exact reason I've considered the sleeve - - these things don't happen to everyone, but happen enough that I know they exist....I'm glad that you're okay after all that you went through!

Thank you for the advice everyone!!! I'm off to do yet more research :)

Maybe my doctor is different but I see him everytime I go up there. He is the one who does my fills even. I prefer it that way personally.

you can youtube true results and youtube your surgeon. I did that with mine (who i only met once for 2 seconds and im having surgery in less than 2 weeks) but ill be dealing mostly with the staff and im more concerned with if I like THEM or not. My concerns with the surgeon were his success rate, how long hes been doing this etc.

but you should youtube them, true results has a channel on there... hope this helps!

Everyone here is great, thank you for the opinions.

You all were right, it would have a way of working itself out...and it has!

I'm back on track (mentally!) to be banded by True Results. I'm no longer upset that I didn't see/meet the doctor. From what I can tell he has pretty good results so that has me comforted. I still do really like the other doctor (in the completely other office) BUT, they said they would be mailing me a packet within a few days of my appt and I still have yet to receive it, whereas True Results has followed up with me and just seem genuinely excited about my surgery and my future.

So, it all worked itself out and I'm moving forward with being banded - - yay!!!