Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why people and studies are so negative about lapband

Well I'm almost 2 yrs post op' date=' I've had a few complications have never reached my goal and am now gaining weight again, I started at 305lbs. Got down to 235 and am now back at 270... When I got to 235 I basically puked every time I eat, I now puke at least 1-2 times a week, the only food that digest decently are food we are not suppose to eat, you will hear people refer to them as slider food. And that is why I'm gaining, but sometimes I just want to eat without puking, My dr has told me straight out most people come back for gastric bypass because they are not satisfied with the band. Had I known all this ahead of time I would not have done lap band

Good luck[/quote']

Hello I'm sorry for what has happened to you. Perhaps you didn't adjust well with the band. I can tell you as well that even with bypass you still experience puking and as well as weight gain, you can check that in YouTube videos. I'm just happy you had lapband because well if its making u puke you have the possibility of taking it out. Now if you had the gastric bypass and was experiencing the same, you couldn't change it.

King regards

I now puke at least 1-2 times a week, the only food that digest decently are food we are not suppose to eat, you will hear people refer to them as slider food.

Good luck

Do you mean to say that you can eat Cookies, cake, ice cream, and chips (slider foods) but you cannot eat cottage cheese, watery fruits (melons grapes etc.), Soups, yogurts, Cereal with milk, Protein Shakes, because they do not digest decently?

Btw this post is not to sound critical, I just wanna understand why junk foods go down, but light healthy foods do not.

Hello I'm sorry for what has happened to you. Perhaps you didn't adjust well with the band. I can tell you as well that even with bypass you still experience puking and as well as weight gain, you can check that in YouTube videos. I'm just happy you had lapband because well if its making u puke you have the possibility of taking it out. Now if you had the gastric bypass and was experiencing the same, you couldn't change it.

King regards

I couldn't agree more!!

Everyone has different experiences with WLS's and sometimes peoples bodies cannot tolerate it altogether. At least with LB its adjustable/reversable

Do you mean to say that you can eat cookies' date=' cake, ice cream, and chips (slider foods) but you cannot eat cottage cheese, watery fruits (melons grapes etc.), Soups, yogurts, cereal with milk, Protein shakes, because they do not digest decently?

Btw this post is not to sound critical, I just wanna understand why junk foods go down, but light healthy foods do not.[/quote']

I don't always eat like a typical bandster should, all Protein. But like you stated, I will eat soups, yogurts, Protein Shakes and such if I don't feel like struggling with hard protein. You don't have to live on bad slider foods, there are good slider foods also. Over 9 months on maintenance!!!

Watery foods are not recommended by the doctors. My surgeon has stressed dry solid food is what the band is meant to work with, But yes Cookies and stuff like that does go down no problem but chicken and meat is very hard , I can't explain it myself..... Protein Shakes, yogurt, oat meal are ok but there again it's liquid........ My wife had gastric bypass so I know all the ins and outs of that, and I also wouldn't recommend that surgery

Watery foods are not recommended by the doctors. My surgeon has stressed dry solid food is what the band is meant to work with' date=' But yes Cookies and stuff like that does go down no problem but chicken and meat is very hard , I can't explain it myself..... Protein shakes, yogurt, oat meal are ok but there again it's liquid........ My wife had gastric bypass so I know all the ins and outs of that, and I also wouldn't recommend that surgery[/quote']

I did the solid Protein during my weight loss months, but now that I am on maintenance, I don't choose to do the solid protein all the time. But I do still maintain a low calorie diet and eat healthier choices than I did in the past. But to get to the maintenance you do have to follow the band rules, which is solid protein and keep your calories low.

Im so sorry that you can't find a spot with your fills to get you to the point where you can eat the right food to help u lose the weight. I know this might not be what you want to hear and it's a tough way to go thru life, but you might want to mush up your protein so that you can get it down. At least to get you to a point where you are losing again. I wish there was a miracle advise I could give you!!

Watery foods are not recommended by the doctors. My surgeon has stressed dry solid food is what the band is meant to work with, But yes Cookies and stuff like that does go down no problem but chicken and meat is very hard , I can't explain it myself..... Protein shakes, yogurt, oat meal are ok but there again it's liquid........ My wife had gastric bypass so I know all the ins and outs of that, and I also wouldn't recommend that surgery

Not all surgeons are the same. In fact, many do suggest moist foods, especially meats. I stay away from dry meat because it's one of the few thing that will get stuck when I try to eat it. Since being banded, all the meat I cook is moist because that's how I'm able to eat it without getting stuck. It's also how my surgeon recommends it.

There's nothing wrong with oatmeal, Soups, or any other liquid/mushy food. There's many healthy choices. The trick is like with everything- moderation. Just stick to band sized portions regardless if the food is solid or mushy and make sure it's a healthy choice.

Best wishes.

I will tell you why people are so negative about the lapband. Its because the doctor's themselves spew bitterness about LB

50% or more of a lapband surgeons practice is the followup care/fills/nutritional guidance/having a real relationship with patients. These appointments don't make the big bucks' date=' its the surgeries that are the cash cows, so many surgeons will push patients to do gastric bypass or VSG because they do the surgery, make the cash and then never have to see the patient again.

Doctor's don't all INTENTIONALLY mean to mislead patients, but when they know where they're bread is buttered they will surely steer you towards it. BTW, insurance pays 2.5 times the amount for VSG/GB than they pay for LB (not sure why)

Not all surgeons are like this, but I have seen way to many surgeons on youtube spewing forth negative propaganda and falsities about the Lapband while glorifying all other WLS's

I hope i'm wrong but I don't think I am[/quote']

You are exactly right about doctors spewing bitterness. I am a Type I diabetic. My diabetes won't be as bad if I lose weight. I will always be diabetic, but I can live better.

A few years ago, my endocrinologist suggested the lap band. My insurance wouldn't pay for it at the time. This past January, my insurance became much friendlier & I decided to get the lap band.

I went in & told my doctor & she started telling me about her patients without good results with the lap band. She said I needed to do gastric bypass.

I didn't listen. I got the band & I'm happy with my decision. My doctor will just have to live with her wishy-washy self!

You are exactly right about doctors spewing bitterness. I am a Type I diabetic. My diabetes won't be as bad if I lose weight. I will always be diabetic, but I can live better.

A few years ago, my endocrinologist suggested the lap band. My insurance wouldn't pay for it at the time. This past January, my insurance became much friendlier & I decided to get the lap band.

I went in & told my doctor & she started telling me about her patients without good results with the lap band. She said I needed to do gastric bypass.

I didn't listen. I got the band & I'm happy with my decision. My doctor will just have to live with her wishy-washy self!

The first doctor that i met with to consult about the Lap Band with had a disgusting NP. She was just downright nasty and I knew that she'd be assisting with my fills/aftercare and runs the support groups. She immediately started criutisizing me for choosing the LB over gastric bypass because "it simply doesn't work" and "MOST patients come back crying begging for revision surgery" and "most foods can go down, like donuts which are filled with calories" (BTW, now that i am banded I wanna laugh at her. DONUTS are the one food that DOES give trouble because the dough can become very sticky and tough when mixed with saliva and can get stuck, but whatever). She was so nasty about the surgery that I just walked out and never returned.

(BTW, the doctor is very nice, and supposedly has "hands of gold" when it comes to laporascopic surgeries, but I just really felt uncomfortable with his nurse practitioner especially since she's the one giving fills and running the support groups). The next doctor I saw ONLY does lapbands, and is a big believer in gastric banding over VSG and GB. He was the one who explained why there is so much negativity towards the lapband (which i posted above)

I'm so glad I have a doctor that has faith in this surgery, but this experience has shown me that getting a second opinion REALLY is important. I am so great-full that my surgery is adjustable/reversible to accommodate me for the rest of my life

I agree with the others, that you hear more about the failures. If the overall patient population failed, I don't believe the procedures would still be performed. I was banded Nov 5, and I'm down 30lbs. I am EXTREMELY pleased! I feel very positive about the band and plan on losing 40-50 more. I make better decisions when eating, and follow my docs instruction. I thought initially "how can I do this ", but when the weight starts coming off, its motivating

I agree with the others, that you hear more about the failures. If the overall patient population failed, I don't believe the procedures would still be performed. I was banded Nov 5, and I'm down 30lbs. I am EXTREMELY pleased! I feel very positive about the band and plan on losing 40-50 more. I make better decisions when eating, and follow my docs instruction. I thought initially "how can I do this ?", but when the weight starts coming off, its motivating!

Wow, I am glad I did not talk to you or your wife before my surgery. You would have scared me to not have either surgery and I probably would have been a full blown diabetic by now. I believe you did not have the mindset for the surgery to work and I am sorry you are so against it, but if not for the lap band I would be 85 pounds heavier and with all my medications not on a very good road. I am 4 years with the lap band and believe it has saved my life and will give me more years to enjoy. This surgery is not for everyone and whoever does get the surgery needs to go into it with eyes wide open and make up their mind to work it by the rules. I have adjusted my lifestyle by what makes me comfortable. I never had any fills and do just fine with the band. Good luck on whatever you decide to do, this WLS is not for everyone.

It's really hard to read about negativity I agree. I found this site after I had my surgery date by accident.

I am three months out yesterday. I have lost 52 lbs. I eat 850 cal a day of high quality foods, exercise, and work on my psychological state DAILY.

I can eat anything but do not even let "bad" foods cross my lips.

It was crazy hard in the beginning with bandster hell. I didn't complain, I just moved my eating around until I could make it work.

I knew it would be like this; I was informed beforehand. I also know its probably going to take me three times as long to lose the other 50 I need to lose. I'm prepared! The rest of my journey is about the lifestyle change not the wl.

If in the meantime I have a problem with my band I'll deal with it then. I got out of my own way and let the band do its job.

I've named my band miniMi and it is helping me be a new mini me !

I'm truly sorry that others haven't had the same experience.

I know some of my issue are he choice in foods I eat, but my options are severe pain or puking or eating food that is not as good for me but digests ok, the other problem I notice is, if I eat. Food that does digest ok there is no full feeling from the band, So basically all the band has done for me is forced me into a diet of less then good food. For me I'm at the point that I feel the band the was a big mistake, and does nothing other then make me sick, it doesn't make me feel full with less food and its imparting my ability to eat nutritious food since solid Proteins are pretty much not a choice.

I'm sure the band has done well for a lot of people and I just feel people on here that are pre op need to hear both sides. And be FULLY informed of possible negative effects of the band, Had I heard from people like myself or if my surgeon told me upfront. "Hey u know a lot of people don't do we'll and come back for gastric bypass". I would have thought harder, Now I'm stuck with this thing that makes me puke a few times a week and my only choice is to have a total unfill and live with it, I'm now below the BMi to qualify for gastric bypass and insurance Won't pay for this thing to be removed, and that's another thing I see a lot of people on here talk about having it removed when they reach their goal, my surgeon told me it is not intended to be removed