Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I haven't had any alcohol since being banded only because I never was a drinker but tonigjt I will to Celebrate the new year, staying in the city at a classy hotel with friends and am going to enjoy a glass or too.

My surgeon and nutritionist have said its fine to have wine if I want too. Moderation is the key.

It

Some people enjoy going out, having a few drinks and feeling normal. This was one of the first questions I asked my Dr. He said hey I wouldnt want to live life either without a few beers, but that is his personality. Just be mindfull that most drinks have some form of carbonation and loads of calories. If I know I am going to have a few drinks I workout longer and account for it. Also I have noticed I can't do shots anymore, I feel like I am stuck and might vomit. I also have become such a lightweight so I am more careful. Its also easier for me to get dehydrated so I drink loads of Water beforehand even if its just a glass of wine after dinner.< /p>

Floridays,,, thanks for your response as Ive said to you before I often loo for your advice and input as one of an 'expert' becuase you are so far along in your journey. I am not much of a drinker, actually the last time I "drank to much" was over 2 years ago. Yes I do party, but it mainly consists of dancing, and talking with my friends.. no other activites much beyond that.

Interesting to me that you dont like alcohol much anymore, I could absolutely live without it now, but I do enjoy it once in a while. I wonder if I will have the same feelings as you. Only time will tell!! Thanks for your advice!!

Nothing stops me from having a beer or 2, a mixed drink or a glass of wine....drank more than usual with all the Christmas parties last week or so.....

Basic rules....I NEVER drink while eating,(learned the hard way) or shortly thereafter, and when I drink beer, I hardly eat at all.....

And of course, if you are still dieting and counting calories, then you have to be aware of that also.....but I have not counted calories in a long time....

I tried a couple of wines recently and keep running into carbonation, is no one else running into this problem? And for beer, do you let it go flat before you drink it? I was primarily a beer drinker before lapband, but have not touched it since surgery due to carbonation, so I tried wine, and keep running into carbonation again.

I enjoy wine...a lot. Drinking to get drunk is not the point. I just think enjoying a glass of good wine (preferably with friends) is about one of the best things in life. That hasn't changed with the band. I prefer dry red wine which usually has less calories than whites (which are often sweeter). I drink slower and order a glass of Water along with my wine these days, but "feel it" faster so I haven't had more than 2 glasses. Since restaurants/bars serve different amounts, I usually ask the bartender or server to let me know how many ounces are in each glass (usually 3-5 oz but sometimes 6; they have equipment to measure properly for you, so they may as well use it). It's not too hard to find a glass of wine at or around 90-100 calories a glass and not too hard to find those calories in a day. Alcohol converts to sugar (carbs) in the body, and will still be used by your body as fuel, unfortunately it's more likely to make you want to eat than make you feel full. But if you're deciding between a glass of wine and a 100 calorie pack, they're both throw away calories as far as I'm concerned. Just about what gives you most pleasure.

I'm gonna be honest, savoring one glass of wine is not how I drink. I like wine a lot, whiskey a lot and I like getting drunk, too, sometimes. Since I'e been banded however, I've cut back drastically, mostly because of the liquid diet--I can't drink on an empty stomach. In the six weeks since I've been banded, I think I've had some wine (about 2 glasses) on 4 occasions.

I make no apologies for liking to drink. I'm young and an English graduate student and writer. My social circle consists mostly of writers who enjoy drinking Scotch in dark bars after grueling, hours-long workshops.

Buts...sigh...I know I have to cut back if I want to lose weight.

Floridays,,, thanks for your response as Ive said to you before I often loo for your advice and input as one of an 'expert' becuase you are so far along in your journey. I am not much of a drinker, actually the last time I "drank to much" was over 2 years ago. Yes I do party, but it mainly consists of dancing, and talking with my friends.. no other activites much beyond that.

Interesting to me that you dont like alcohol much anymore, I could absolutely live without it now, but I do enjoy it once in a while. I wonder if I will have the same feelings as you. Only time will tell!! Thanks for your advice!!

My pleasure....you might get a kick out of knowing my husband wishes I would enjoy it again like I used to but after one glass of wine I am just not into it...weird right? I have just found I can dance and party with the best of them on occasion but I don't have to have more than a drink or so....

Old vine zin are my favorite wines now. If you are going to get plastered though just don't do it to the point of forgetting you have the band and try to down a pizza or something.

I think that I am not saying no to anything, just not now. Once I am there then we'll talk but for now, it's the straight and narrow for me!