Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Directly after surgery ...

January 2nd bandster here :) wish me luck everyone. I am lucky to have not been prescribed an all liquid diet but I am doing a 2 Protein Shake a day diet with one regular meal minus starch carbohydrates. It is not bad at all and I really look forward to my future with the band.

I'm a little nervous about the after affects of eating with the band right after surgery. I have this horrible vision of me gulping Water too quickly and then throwing up and my band exploding. Lol, well not the band exploding,but I definitely am nervous about me doing something wrong. Can I ask any experienced bandsters what the hunger feeling is like the first week or so after surgery? Do you find yourself deprived or do you feel full with just the liquids prescribed? How does it feel being around people who eat normally?

Thanks, Alexa

Hi Alexa,

I'm getting Banded on January 4th. The diet I'm on is almost like yours, 3 shakes, 2 Protein bars, 3oz. lean meat and veggies. not bad. oh and lots of Water (crystal light). What's funny was I was thinking about the same concern as yours. I wanted to wish you luck on Wednesday. Let me know how it goes.

Cassie

So funny, I still think I am going to explode my band, but so far it is all good. I did not feel to hungry the first few weeks but was so grateful to be able to eat some cottage cheese (which I never eat very much ) I think I even thanked God with every bite. Good luck to you on your journey. Hugs

So wonderful for you! That is a great loss. I wish you the best. How are you feeling, pain and hunger wise?

Can I ask any experienced bandsters what the hunger feeling is like the first week or so after surgery? Do you find yourself deprived or do you feel full with just the liquids prescribed? How does it feel being around people who eat normally?

Thanks, Alexa

the first week I had no appetite so just forced myself to drink the Clear Liquids. I really didn't miss food at all. Having gone thru 2 weeks of preop liquid I think I had gotten past the point of missing food. I didn't feel deprived because this drastic step wasn't taken with out tremendous consideration.. I was scared to death to deviate from dr's orders as I didn't want to mess up my band.

As for people eating what used to be normal...,it's not any more. Normal is eating a cup of food and when I eat with others I am astonished at the amount they eat.

Oh there were times I felt deprived, felt sorry for myself and went to bed early because I didn't want to eat any more that day...but those days were few and the entire time I kept my eye on the prize. And now achieving that success is the best feeling in the world and I do not regret it for a second.

I definitely need to step up my game with the Water intake...I'm a little nervous for the surgery, I mean wouldn't anyone be? This is a huge lifestyle change for both you and I and it will bring us so much happiness and positivity if we go about what we have to do the right way! I am rooting for you and will definitely keep you posted! This thing is kind of complicated. If you want I can private message you my Email and we can communicate that way. So glad that we are just two days apart with our surgeries.

I will keep you updated :)

Alexa

the first week I had no appetite so just forced myself to drink the Clear Liquids. I really didn't miss food at all. Having gone thru 2 weeks of preop liquid I think I had gotten past the point of missing food. I didn't feel deprived because this drastic step wasn't taken with out tremendous consideration.. I was scared to death to deviate from dr's orders as I didn't want to mess up my band.

As for people eating what used to be normal...,it's not any more. Normal is eating a cup of food and when I eat with others I am astonished at the amount they eat.

Oh there were times I felt deprived, felt sorry for myself and went to bed early because I didn't want to eat any more that day...but those days were few and the entire time I kept my eye on the prize. And now achieving that success is the best feeling in the world and I do not regret it for a second.

Thank you so much for answering my question. You are completely right about the new normal. Maybe I am not used to it yet because I just learned to deviate from the ability to eat at an unhealthy amount. Congratulations to you, I can't wait for that moment while out with friends when I can say "you guys eat enough to feed a third world country." Your accomplishments are really inspiring and I wish you the best. Looking at your pictures and goals are extremely motivating

Thank you so much!

I have the same fears! I get banded on 12/31 and the doctor's office faxed me over a lot of pre-op paperwork that included all of the risks. I have to say, I'm a little more than nervous. One of my biggest fears is being nauseaus. So far, the idea of getting my life back has won out over the fear of the unknown. I wish lots of luck with your journey. Keep us posted on your progress.

Thank you so much for answering my question. You are completely right about the new normal. Maybe I am not used to it yet because I just learned to deviate from the ability to eat at an unhealthy amount. Congratulations to you, I can't wait for that moment while out with friends when I can say "you guys eat enough to feed a third world country." Your accomplishments are really inspiring and I wish you the best. Looking at your pictures and goals are extremely motivating

Thank you so much!

My pleasure ....happy to help. You will be amazed at the things you notice when your aren't fixated on eating. My manners thankfully prevent me from verbalizing it....lol

So wonderful for you! That is a great loss. I wish you the best. How are you feeling' date=' pain and hunger wise?[/quote']

I feel great the pain is gone, now I do b hungery. If I could get pass xmas I can get pass anything. We had sausage, ribs, brisket chicken, green Beans, dirty rice, bbq Beans. Everyone ate and I drank my Protein shake. I keep myself busy.

I have the same fears! I get banded on 12/31 and the doctor's office faxed me over a lot of pre-op paperwork that included all of the risks. I have to say, I'm a little more than nervous. One of my biggest fears is being nauseaus. So far, the idea of getting my life back has won out over the fear of the unknown. I wish lots of luck with your journey. Keep us posted on your progress.

Omg the consents freaked me out too! I am a little nervous of being nauseous but in pre op life I have never thrown up unless it was a really rare circumstance. Lets hope it doesnt happen for the both of us. Good luck, I cant believe you're getting banded on New Years..How perfect to start the new year with. Good luck, Keep me posted! I will add you as a friend!

Omg the consents freaked me out too! I am a little nervous of being nauseous but in pre op life I have never thrown up unless it was a really rare circumstance. Lets hope it doesnt happen for the both of us. Good luck, I cant believe you're getting banded on New Years..How perfect to start the new year with. Good luck, Keep me posted! I will add you as a friend!

I thought starting the New Year off with something more than a bunch of resolutions that I wouldn't keep was a good idea. It's like the definition of insanity "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results". It's certainly time to try something new! I'll keep you posted!

I thought starting the New Year off with something more than a bunch of resolutions that I wouldn't keep was a good idea. It's like the definition of insanity "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results". It's certainly time to try something new! I'll keep you posted!

Go Joniiiiiiii. You rock.

All the best!!!

Alexa