Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Manhattan buddy or mentor wanted..

I am being banded 1/31 at NYU. I'm nervous! Excited too of course. Wondering if I should stay with family in burbs after surgery so I can walk around yard to walk off gas.instead of being bumped into on the streets. Thoughts?

Hey There, I was just banded thanksgiving and I live in the city. Let me know if you have any questions or need any help!

Alex

Thanks so much Alex! Did u go through nyu?

I'm also in the city. After surgery I literally walked around my apartment to help with the gas. I made 1 outside trip to Duane Reade to pick up my meds, but otherwise I stayed in for the first 3 days.

I didnt go through NYU, I did it with a Doctor who is a family friend back in Virginia. I've heard good things about NYU though. Are you getting excited yet? You're only a month away!

Thanks kah! I've decided to rest in nj so I have a lil more space.

Thanks Alex. I am incredibly excited and terrified at the same time! Ha. Feel like I need to schedule a "last supper" haha. How has your recovery and transition been?

Thanks kah! I've decided to rest in nj so I have a lil more space.

Thanks Alex. I am incredibly excited and terrified at the same time! Ha. Feel like I need to schedule a "last supper" haha. How has your recovery and transition been?

Good luck!

I'm in the city as well. Surgery at NYU scheduled for 1/14. Started pre-op diet today. Very nervous about all of this....especially because I'm dealing with a bum knee and am not too mobile. Planning on recuperating at home but am wondering now if my walking issues will be a problem. Looking to converse with other city folk who are going through this experience.

I was banded through NYU on 12/26. I live in suburbs but work in the city. My biggest fear is getting jostled on the LIRR when I go home in the evening. I have had no issues walking from Penn to my office or from NYU to my office, but LIRR - that's tough.

Also, I really appreciated having my family around after the surgery. My husband and daughter know I had LBS but my sons think I had a "lady procedure." I really didn't get out of bed for 2 days.

Good luck.

After my surgery the nurses got me up every 2 hours ( I think! It was a little blurry!) to aid with breathing and more importantly prevent blood clots in the legs. No laying in bed. I think walking around on quieter(?) NYC streets might be a possibility, or walking in a nearby park. You do need to be active no matter where you are living.

After my surgery the nurses got me up every 2 hours ( I think! It was a little blurry!) to aid with breathing and more importantly prevent blood clots in the legs. No laying in bed. I think walking around on quieter(?) NYC streets might be a possibility, or walking in a nearby park. You do need to be active no matter where you are living.

thanks for the feedback. am very concerned about blood clots...lost my husband due to that very thing. surgeon is putting me on blood thinners after surgery to lessen the chance of anything happening because I may not be so mobile. I figured worst case...I walk the hallway of my floor as best I can.

I was banded through NYU on 12/26. I live in suburbs but work in the city. My biggest fear is getting jostled on the LIRR when I go home in the evening. I have had no issues walking from Penn to my office or from NYU to my office, but LIRR - that's tough.

Also, I really appreciated having my family around after the surgery. My husband and daughter know I had LBS but my sons think I had a "lady procedure." I really didn't get out of bed for 2 days.

Good luck.

Dr. Ren is doing my surgery as well. are you happy with her? I know she's not particularly warm and fuzzy, which is fine...I'm more concernd with her doctor skills rather than her people skills.

Gowalking -

Ren actually wasn't my surgeon and I've never met her. I put her name because she is from the same practice. I used Brad Schwack, but he's not listed as a choice. He's got a very nice personality and is trust inspiring despite being only in his mid-30's. I would recommend him highly to anybody. He has both people and medical skills.

I hope your procedure goes well. I went home about 6 1/2 hours after I arrived at the hospital even though they thought I might have to stay overnight. If I lived alone, I'd probably have stayed.

Gowalking -

Ren actually wasn't my surgeon and I've never met her. I put her name because she is from the same practice. I used Brad Schwack, but he's not listed as a choice. He's got a very nice personality and is trust inspiring despite being only in his mid-30's. I would recommend him highly to anybody. He has both people and medical skills.

I hope your procedure goes well. I went home about 6 1/2 hours after I arrived at the hospital even though they thought I might have to stay overnight. If I lived alone, I'd probably have stayed.

thanks FFP. I found out at my GP yesterday that the blood thinner is a daily injection...which I'm not about to do. So I'm staying overnight for sure...my arthritis makes it very hard for me to walk and all I see everyone say is to walk walk walk post surgery. I do hope that I'll be able to do that....it's my biggest concern about the procedure.

I did it! Was banded yesterday by Kurian at NYU. I was super nervous to be put out so she came in and held my hand while i passed out. Everyone was so nice. The liquid vicoden helps a little but im major achy of course but proud of myself...and all of you!!!!